"Dragging up" the list of all apps in Android 12 - how?

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I definitely fall into the "not broke/don't fix" camp, who more rues O/S upgrades, than revels in them.

So here's the first of what might be many irritants I've found about Android 12 for which I can't google a solution.

Before 12, on my Pixel 3a phone, if I dragged up from the bottom of the screen, an alphabetized list of my app icons would appear. Now dragging up from the bottom slightly contracts the main screen, then overlays it with the sessions for the currently-active apps.

How do I "drag up" - or some other simple access - the list of all my apps?

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Are you using 3 button navigation or Gestures? With 3 button I just flick up any where on the screen and the apps slide into view.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Are you using 3 button navigation or Gestures? With 3 button I just flick up any where on the screen and the apps slide into view.

Thanks. I googled what your question meant, and changed from 2-button to 3-button, leaving Gestures off, and yes, this fixed it. Now that I know that much of the lingo, how can I slide the apps into view from 2-button, as I'd been able to in 11 and its predecessors?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When using gesture navigation, swiping up from the very bottom edge of the screen will bring up the App Overview/Recent Apps. To get the App Drawer, start swiping up from around the level of the Favorites Tray (i.e., not all the way from the bottom edge).

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. I googled what your question meant, and changed from 2-button to 3-button, leaving Gestures off, and yes, this fixed it. Now that I know that much of the lingo, how can I slide the apps into view from 2-button, as I'd been able to in 11 and its predecessors?

I found this for you. It sounds like 3 button or Gestures as it appears two button is on it's was out. With two button, two swipes should get you to the app drawer. If one swipe up shows the open apps, swipe again and it should show the "all apps" page/drawer.
"On some devices, you'll also see a 2-button navigation option. This is a sort of in-between system that Android introduced in Android 9 Pie. It offers a pill-shaped Home button with some gesture support, while also keeping the Back button.

We recommend avoiding this choice; the new all-gesture method is smoother, and Android is phasing the 2-gesture option out, so it probably won't be around for much longer. Thus, we won't focus on it here."

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Swipe up from the top edge of the first row of icons... I also use 2 button nav. I only have 1 row of icons above the search bar, it might also work farther up ;) One swipe up will work for me running Android 12 on a Pixel 3XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2