Droid DNA on WiFi only?

wiharris17

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way that I could use a Droid DNA on WiFi only, without ever having to buy a service plan?
(I want to use it like one might use an iPod for music and apps, but I hate iOS and I am in love with the gorgeous 1080p screen on this thing.)
I was thinking about buying a used one on ebay but I don't want to spend $300+ and then find out I can't use it without a plan.
Thanks in advance

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
You could use it on WiFi but you won't be able to make calls unless you use something like GrooveIP with your Google Voice number. There's no way to get it from Verizon at a subsidized price without a plan.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My daughters both have android phones on WiFi only. They will do everything but calls and texts. Voxer should work to walkie talkie without a cellular connection. Mine works for voxing with just Wi-Fi.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way that I could use a Droid DNA on WiFi only, without ever having to buy a service plan?
(I want to use it like one might use an iPod for music and apps, but I hate iOS and I am in love with the gorgeous 1080p screen on this thing.)
I was thinking about buying a used one on ebay but I don't want to spend $300+ and then find out I can't use it without a plan.
Thanks in advance

You can, there's nothing stopping you, but I would recommend against it, unless you don't plan on storing more than 5 GB of music on it. It is not expandable and the 16GB internal storage after you've got the OS and apps is really like 9 GB.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You can, there's nothing stopping you, but I would recommend against it, unless you don't plan on storing more than 5 GB of music on it. It is not expandable and the 16GB internal storage after you've got the OS and apps is really like 9 GB.

Really its about 12gb left, but I agree that that is a lot of money for a limited music player.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA
S-off, boot loader unlocked
illusion CM10.1

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Well it can still be used for things like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Ect.
As others stated it doesn't have a ton of space available. If you have lots of music in the cloud like Dropbox/Google Drive or something similar then it's fine while on WiFi.
You can stream music also through something like TuneIn Radio.

wiharris17

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so just to clarify, if I got a used DNA then I would have no issue using it just on WiFi (just for apps, and music) without a SIM Card?
And if so, could I get one with a bad ESN?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so just to clarify, if I got a used DNA then I would have no issue using it just on WiFi (just for apps, and music) without a SIM Card?
And if so, could I get one with a bad ESN?

Yes and yes. You could even get one with a bad esn and use it on a prepaid plan through att or T-Mobile

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rholme