Droid Maxx 2 doesn't read micro SD card?

alrut

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
As the title states, my Droid Maxx 2 is unable to read my micro SD card. I've had this phone and SD card for about 2-3 years now and haven't run into any problems until today. I accidentally dropped my phone about 3/4th of a foot or so above the ground and found out that my SD card had accidentally been ejected. I didn't think much of it because this has happened before in the past, and I've dropped my phone lots of times without the SD card being an issue most of the time as well. However now my phone fails to read the SD card at all. The SD card itself is in okay condition, and it still works with other devices like my older Android phone and to my relief still retains all of my photos/music/etc. I'm just having problems with my Droid Maxx 2. It fails to show up in my phone and computer when connected to the phone and I've done all that I can think of to try and fix the situation. I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do other SD cards work in your phone? If not, then the trauma might have caused some damage to the reader. Or perhaps it loosened the SD tray or the springlock that holds the card in place.

alrut

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Sadly I do not have any other SD cards to test with :(
I read elsewhere however that applying a small sliver of tape to the back of the SD card to make it slightly thicker to push it against the SD card reader pins more firmly is a possible solution. I haven't tried it yet but do you think it could work?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try it. But if the card really is loose, then even with that tape, there would still be risk of the card losing contact with the reader. If that happens while the phone is in the middle of a read/write operation, it might corrupt a file or the whole card.

SD cards are pretty cheap these days -- you can find small (i.e., 4 or 8 GB) microSD cards for maybe $5 at your local electronics store. It may be worth getting one so you can test it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s