Droid MAXX Bug Thread

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
We don't have a "bug" thread yet, so I figured that I would start one.

Thus far I have only encountered two minor bugs--both software related. Would you guys mind testing these?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. With the camera app open:
    • Lock the screen
    • Unlock the phone
    • Phone returns to home screen instead of the camera app
    • Other apps tested work fine and are displayed upon unlocking the phone...it seems to be the camera only.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • With the screen off:
    • Press the power button
    • Now at the lockscreen
    • Swiping down the notifications bar with two fingers to open the quick-settings menu does not work.

• Swiping down with one finger to show the notifications menu works fine.
    • I've found that after unlocking the phone, if you tap the screen once the two-finger pull down works. It's almost like it "wakes up" the screen for this function.
    • Swiping with one or two fingers works fine with the screen unlocked.

Last edited:

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I can see the camera thing maybe accidently hit the power button and trying to return, but I think naturally the phone doesn't sleep when the camera is open. Can you pull the bar down with 3 or 4 or 5 fingers at the same time? Why specifically did you need to use 2? I think Zap works to receive media by the 2 finger swipe down.

davpel

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell, car Assist mode does not work if you are connected to your head unit via BT. The Maxx properly senses that you are driving, but you don't get caller ID announcements or offers to read incoming text messages.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I can see the camera thing maybe accidently hit the power button and trying to return, but I think naturally the phone doesn't sleep when the camera is open.
The reason I ask about the camera is because my GNex will return directly to the camera if it was put to sleep with the camera active.

Can you pull the bar down with 3 or 4 or 5 fingers at the same time? Why specifically did you need to use 2? I think Zap works to receive media by the 2 finger swipe down.
I've just always used two fingers to pull down the quick-settings menu. I just tested it with more fingers and it still doesn't work. The quick-settings menu can't be pulled down from the lockscreen unless I touch the screen first and then do it.

davpel said:
As far as I can tell, car Assist mode does not work if you are connected to your head unit via BT. The Maxx properly senses that you are driving, but you don't get caller ID announcements or offers to read incoming text messages.
I will try to test this over the weekend unless someone else has a chance to first.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Car assist works fine for me reads our caller information and when I say answer it pucks up the call and puts in speakerphone mode. Its impressive.

Posted via Android Central App

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Mine works fine for phone calls, but if, while I'm driving, I switch to MP3 mode on the head unit to stream from the phone, NO GO! I have to actually start the music on the phone. Sometimes the music will just stop and wont connect again.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Assist Drive Mode: Should be able to choose which music source automatically resumes playing as a default. I almost always listen to music via Google Music, but everytime I start driving it automatically starts playing Rocket Player even if I was listening to Google Music at the last driving session. A really really cool feature, but I just want it to be a little smarter about it.

Multitask Button: The multi task list isn't always in the correct order and sometimes the most recent app is missing.

Capacative buttons: Lights should be dimmed or auto-off when watching videos. Their brightness doesn't seem to change ever, and in a dim room they put out more light than the screen.

Camera: The wrist flick action works about 20% of the time (and often much less).

jerrys30

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have a bug where my sms app does not play a notification sound. I have triple checked all the settings and it is set to play a sound and vibrate but neither happens. The active display comes on for a new sms but no sound.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've found that about half the time I say "OK Google Now" and then say something, whatever I say will be preceded by "Now". Which then means the command you give it or the question you ask it doesn't work. The workaround is to just get the phone into that mode by simply saying "OK Google". Luckily that works (sometimes), because I hate saying "OK Google Now", it just sounds stupid. I did try to train it to accept just OK Google when I first set it up, but it wouldn't let me.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Camera: The wrist flick action works about 20% of the time (and often much less).
I've never had a problem, but I've seen youtube videos of people doing unboxing/tutorials of the phone and having issues with it and they're usually doing it wrong. This is going to sound awkward, but it's the best I can describe it. Hold the phone like you're shaking someone's hand. Flip it towards the floor and back twice in about one second. I see people 'flicking' it really fast and that's what makes it not work. Don't 'flick' it, it's just a nice fluid motion. I'll see if I can find a video of it online.
I seem to have a bug where my sms app does not play a notification sound. I have triple checked all the settings and it is set to play a sound and vibrate but neither happens. The active display comes on for a new sms but no sound.

Go into your settings and check the volumes there to make sure it's turned up there as well. I assume other sounds (youtube, ringers, emails) work.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
NICE. This does seem to work much better. Especially when you first pick it up. Once I turn the camera on, then go back to the home screen and lock it again, it doesn't seem to do it as easily, but if I let it sit and then flick it again, we're back in business. I wonder if it's intentional that it extinguishes the response if you keep doing the motion?

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it's fully locked? If you hit the lock/power button and then hit it again right away you won't have to unlock the phone (there's a setting to adjust the time before it locks). Now, if you shake it when it's locked, it goes to the camera, if you shake it when it's unlocked it goes to the camera, but perhaps when it's in that in between time, that few seconds after you turn the screen off but before it locks it doesn't. I think the default is 5 or 10 seconds. I changed mine to lock right away, I'm in the habit of swiping each time I hit the power button, regardless of how long it's been since I shut off the screen and if the lock screen isn't there I end up doing things to whatever screen is there.

ashmerae

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The reason I ask about the camera is because my GNex will return directly to the camera if it was put to sleep with the camera active.

I've just always used two fingers to pull down the quick-settings menu. I just tested it with more fingers and it still doesn't work. The quick-settings menu can't be pulled down from the lockscreen unless I touch the screen first and then do it.

I will try to test this over the weekend unless someone else has a chance to first.

I think the camera thing is probably a Samsung/Gnex specific feature... as far as 2 fingers for the pull down quick-settings, same thing (I've seen this as a mod in ROMs though - I also came from a GNex). Hmm... I haven't had any problems with Assist in driving mode, but did figure out that if you're using a 3rd party texting app, it won't do the read out to you.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the camera thing is probably a Samsung/Gnex specific feature... as far as 2 fingers for the pull down quick-settings, same thing (I've seen this as a mod in ROMs though - I also came from a GNex). Hmm... I haven't had any problems with Assist in driving mode, but did figure out that if you're using a 3rd party texting app, it won't do the read out to you.
Thank you so much for confirming!

I'm going to keep digging into the camera deal.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Had a new one last night. I'm guessing I'm not the only person who's had Daydream mode only sort of work.
I have it set to go into daydream mode (with the clock) when it's plugged into the charger. It took me some playing to find out that it doesn't actually do it for about 5 minutes. Last night, I plugged it in and fell asleep. Some time during the night I woke up and looked at my phone only to notice the clock seemed brighter then it should have been and the buttons at the bottom were still lit up. I touched the screen because I know that dismisses the daydream mode and then hit the power button to turn it off and it never went back to day dream mode as far as I could tell.
Checking the settings, it is still set properly.

I've looked around for a third party app, but haven't been able to find one that just shows a dim clock AND turns off the icons at the bottom (which are bright and defeats the purpose). I'll keep looking.

Also, I really don't like that it goes away when you touch the screen since I have to move/pick up the phone to see the time when I'm in bed and it's hard to do that without lighting it up. I might as well just not use the daydream mode and stick with the active notifications that will give me the time (dimly) when I pick up the phone.

If I could find a wireless charge that held the phone angled towards me like a dock and the daydream mode worked properly, that would be perfect.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Had a new one last night. I'm guessing I'm not the only person who's had Daydream mode only sort of work.
I have it set to go into daydream mode (with the clock) when it's plugged into the charger. It took me some playing to find out that it doesn't actually do it for about 5 minutes. Last night, I plugged it in and fell asleep. Some time during the night I woke up and looked at my phone only to notice the clock seemed brighter then it should have been and the buttons at the bottom were still lit up. I touched the screen because I know that dismisses the daydream mode and then hit the power button to turn it off and it never went back to day dream mode as far as I could tell.
Checking the settings, it is still set properly.

I've looked around for a third party app, but haven't been able to find one that just shows a dim clock AND turns off the icons at the bottom (which are bright and defeats the purpose). I'll keep looking.

Also, I really don't like that it goes away when you touch the screen since I have to move/pick up the phone to see the time when I'm in bed and it's hard to do that without lighting it up. I might as well just not use the daydream mode and stick with the active notifications that will give me the time (dimly) when I pick up the phone.

If I could find a wireless charge that held the phone angled towards me like a dock and the daydream mode worked properly, that would be perfect.

Have you tried timely? I have the paid version so I'm not sure if you need that for the dim clock or what, but it dims the buttons for sure.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
easwrftjukumar3r