Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Where my understanding falls apart is that this isn't a case where there are multiple variants that need consideration. It's exclusive to Verizon. Moto/Google don't need to update Sprint CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile GSM capable phones.

So given only Verizon carries this phone (and India) why is it so difficult to roll out an update to a single carrier?

This isn't a complaint. 4.4 has worked well. This is my confusion explained. Perhaps there is a legitimate difficulty. I know they have to update the Turbo directly to 5.1 for VoLTE. Is that why 5.1 is taking so long? Or does anyone else have an idea why the update is taking much longer than we all expected?

Posted via the Android Central App

Bradfordrose

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Where my understanding falls apart is that this isn't a case where there are multiple variants that need consideration. It's exclusive to Verizon. Moto/Google don't need to update Sprint CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile GSM capable phones.

So given only Verizon carries this phone (and India) why is it so difficult to roll out an update to a single carrier?

This isn't a complaint. 4.4 has worked well. This is my confusion explained. Perhaps there is a legitimate difficulty. I know they have to update the Turbo directly to 5.1 for VoLTE. Is that why 5.1 is taking so long? Or does anyone else have an idea why the update is taking much longer than we all expected?

Its the carrier, not anyone else. The carrier is dragging their feet. The whole 5.1 thing was because they wasted time on the advanced calling patch that we got first. 5.1 just so happens to have that feature standard.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Its the carrier, not anyone else. The carrier is dragging their feet. The whole 5.1 thing was because they wasted time on the advanced calling patch that we got first. 5.1 just so happens to have that feature standard.

Carrier has nothing to test if the OEM isn't submitting an update.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The update comes from Motorola. They have other devices ahead of the Turbo on their schedule.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Its all out fault for buying the turbo we should of learned our lesson by now. Should always buy a nexus phone straight from google then no more Verizon politics.

So I should buy a phone I don't want because Verizon is doing nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned? Thanks but I'll pass.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I hope, if nothing else, this thread teaches the consumer to purchase a product based on what it is at the time of purchase and not based on what it's promised to become in the future. Living for over 50 years, I've learned this lesson a very long time ago.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I hope, if nothing else, this thread teaches the consumer to purchase a product based on what it is at the time of purchase and not based on what it's promised to become in the future. Living for over 50 years, I've learned this lesson a very long time ago.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

Yes and no.

If you buy a car, it isn't going to include upgrades after the fact unless you decide to purchase those. If you buy a gadget, that isn't necessarily the same, and it certainly isn't where smartphones are concerned.

I think you're offering advice that is sound as can be for something that is static. It becomes murkier when you're talking about something that can have its software updated. Especially when the update has been officially announced.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone should buy something they don't like now for the promise of an update later, but I also don't think, in the technology based world in which we now live, it's an either/or thing anymore.

I don't recall exactly when it was official, but if the Turbo wasn't released with the info official that it would get Lollipop, it wasn't long after launch. That means a lot of Turbos were sold to folks who knew they'd be getting Lollipop (and many more who don't care). More recently, a smaller number of Turbo's have been sold to owners who know they'll eventually be getting 5.1.

Regardless of anyone's level of patience, or lack there of, as to *when* updates come, it is entirely possible in this arena to be happy with your current purchase and also want the update.

RAdamHadAMeal

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
This whole discussion is stupid.

"I was promised the update"
"I don't want bugs cuz buggy bugs are bugs and you guys are dumb for wanting a buggy update."
"it's the carriers fault! Regardless of bugs we should be blaming someone!"
"well if we're blaming anyone I think Motorola should try harder to push it forward because *I was promised the update*"

I have this thread favorited for news but it's the same circlejerk every page, but now people are complaining about the various complaints. What wasted effort of is coming here.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

"I don't want bugs cuz buggy bugs are bugs and you guys are dumb for wanting a buggy update."
"well if we're blaming anyone I think Motorola should try harder to push it forward because *I was promised the update*"

I have this thread favorited for news but it's the same circlejerk every page, but now people are complaining about the various complaints. What wasted effort of is coming here.

And now you're complaining about people complaining about people complaining. The circle is complete.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And now you're complaining about people complaining about people complaining. The circle is complete.

IIRC, if one more person complains about people complaining about people complaining, either the universe explodes or the Cubbies win the World Series this year. GREAT SCOT!!!

Brett Spradlin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely agree it will be the last time I make this mistake. With the crap bloatware Verizon loaded it up with and not having lollipop. I'm going back to samsung especially if they bring back ssd's

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

There is no news.

There ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz