Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's a mind bender for you turbo owners strip away updates and ask yourself is there anything inherently wrong with the phone because if you've looked around these forums a little bit at all you would know

YOU DO NOT WANT LOLLIPOP

Posted via the Android Central App

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading claims that Verizon is withholding the update because of problems with lollipop...but if this is true why have they been releasing it to lots of other phones? And if you say because its a flag ship for them I'll disagree. If that really meant so much to them they would have pushed it out earlier. Just saying.

Posted from the BS detection agency

Because verizons priority is to sign on new customers and in turn make money I don't like it but that's the way it is and for example the s6 is getting attention because it's their flagship phone on their network i don't want to sound like Im dissing the turbo or anything but that's just business

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
hqdefault.jpg
Here's a mind bender for you turbo owners strip away updates and ask yourself is there anything inherently wrong with the phone because if you've looked around these forums a little bit at all you would know

YOU DO NOT WANT LOLLIPOP

You misunderstand the point and you're asking people to lower their expectations when you say something like that.

To be honest I think a lot of us want the same experience you get with a Nexus phone or an iPhone. Namely timely working updates. Google is a big company, they can do it if they want to. People thought putting the same OS that runs the same software on a PC, a phone, a tablet could never be done. And now Microsoft is proving them wrong. People should stop trying to convince everyone to have lowered expectations.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is an awful lot of speculation about why there is no update so far in this thread. We have no idea at all why it hasn't come yet. To say that it hasn't come because of bugs is a guess. All that we know for sure is that Moto and Verizon decided to wait for Android 5.1 rather than upgrade to 5.0, because 5.1 has native support for VoLTE. That's all we know.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend that has a Moto X on VZW and when I asked about upgrading to 5.1 all he had to say was what's 5.1? He feels like it's a pain tin the you know what to upgrade and is perfectly happy with his X. He is not a techie and could care less if the phone gets upgraded. He would be a caller to VZW support if he tries to upgrade. He would have issues and be on the VZW line in search of help for something anyone of us could easily take care of.

Why did Google release M? Cause it is a marvelous, malleable, mischievous, but not misanthropic, misconstrued masterpiece.

dmoss84

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What helpful information are you looking for? This is a discussion with a lot if varying opinions. That's what a message board is meant for. When Lollipop has some solid information/dates for the Turbo you're more than welcome to create a new thread to discuss it. :)

I've seen two threads now deleted that had information that I found helpful.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 179395

You misunderstand the point and you're asking people to lower their expectations when you say something like that.

To be honest I think a lot of us want the same experience you get with a Nexus phone or an iPhone. Namely timely working updates. Google is a big company, they can do it if they want to. People thought putting the same OS that runs the same software on a PC, a phone, a tablet could never be done. And now Microsoft is proving them wrong. People should stop trying to convince everyone to have lowered expectations.

You call it lowering expectations, what he said is probably the reality of the situation. Just like when they hold an update back for older models until the newer one releases, which carriers have done in the past. Doing so might get a few people to upgrade to the newer model, where if they released it prior to the launch, they may just stick with their current device.

Yes Google is a big company, but the only updates they handle is for their Nexus devices. Any non Nexus device update is handled by the OEM & carriers. The reason you don't have those issues with a non carrier Nexus or an iPhone is that they don't go through the carriers for approval, they simply push the updates to their devices. OEMS have to modify Google's update for their device for their skin. And while Motorola appears to be running a stock version of Android, there are some differences. And then there's the carrier's involvement as well. So far, Apple is the only device that carriers are hands off with in terms of updates, due to Apple leveraging their position to make it happen. That's one of the reasons why no one thought Verizon would ever get a Nexus device again, after what happened with the Galaxy Nexus. The only way you're going to get the update experience that you would with a Nexus or iPhone, is to get a Nexus or iPhone, simple as that. Some may surprise us like the Moto X has done recently, but that's the exception that proves the rule. If it's carrier branded, and not an iPhone, chances are you'll be dealing with waiting for updates.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
You call it lowering expectations, what he said is probably the reality of the situation. Just like when they hold an update back for older models until the newer one releases, which carriers have done in the past. Doing so might get a few people to upgrade to the newer model, where if they released it prior to the launch, they may just stick with their current device.

Yes Google is a big company, but the only updates they handle is for their Nexus devices. Any non Nexus device update is handled by the OEM & carriers. The reason you don't have those issues with a non carrier Nexus or an iPhone is that they don't go through the carriers for approval, they simply push the updates to their devices. OEMS have to modify Google's update for their device for their skin. And while Motorola appears to be running a stock version of Android, there are some differences. And then there's the carrier's involvement as well. So far, Apple is the only device that carriers are hands off with in terms of updates, due to Apple leveraging their position to make it happen. That's one of the reasons why no one thought Verizon would ever get a Nexus device again, after what happened with the Galaxy Nexus. The only way you're going to get the update experience that you would with a Nexus or iPhone, is to get a Nexus or iPhone, simple as that. Some may surprise us like the Moto X has done recently, but that's the exception that proves the rule. If it's carrier branded, and not an iPhone, chances are you'll be dealing with waiting for updates.

That hits the nail on the head as far as Google's (i.e., Android's) problem. I'll always stick with Android (I love it), but Google should "carry a big stick" and push updates to phones and eliminate the carrier bottleneck, just as Microsoft does for PC's. Yeah, yeah, I know...many issues there...but it COULD be done if they forced it.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I might add that the frequency of the Apple updates is not necessarily something to look upon as a paradigm. My wife's first smart phone was an iPhone and like many others, she's reluctant to change since she fears "having to learn a completely different phone" - she presently has the 6 Plus. Many of Apple's "upgrades" are thinly veiled bug fixes and I can tell you first hand they have every bit the foibles of Android & even the current OS release has bugs that defy explanation. Apple NEVER admits a shortcoming or mistake, nor do they definitively detail what's included in most of their "upgrades" - with good reason I might add.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You call it lowering expectations, what he said is probably the reality of the situation.

No I'm saying the situation needs to change. People like him are lowering expectations by acquiescing. Billion dollar companies don't need help with excuses to do nothing from people like that. Guess which stance is more likely to make a company like Google change for the better?

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
So lollipop runtime is ART, and the standard setting on our phones is Dalvik. Just wondering if any of you have already gone in developer options and switched to ART, if so what's your take??

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No I'm saying the situation needs to change. People like him are lowering expectations by acquiescing. Billion dollar companies don't need help with excuses to do nothing from people like that. Guess which stance is more likely to make a company like Google change for the better?

So we should try to effect change in the mobile companies for the better. There seriously aren't any better places to put that energy, or any better causes to support? These are phones, you're making it sound like we're trying to end companies polluting the environment or human trafficking. If my phones works, I'm good. If you want to put your energy into making them change, more power to you. But that doesn't mean everyone has to do as you do. You're making this sound more important than it is, nothing or no one is going to be hurt if they don't push an update. It's a phone.

If you seriously can't deal with it, my advice is to find a company who will fulfill your needs and give them your business. In doing so you'll also force the company you left to reevaluate their business. These companies may listen to their customers, but money speaks louder than words, or in other words, vote with your wallet.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So we should try to effect change in the mobile companies for the better.
I don't see anything wrong with that since we pay a lot of money for premium phones like the Droid and monthly fees to Verizon. Add all that money up over a year and see how you feel.

There seriously aren't any better places to put that energy, or any better causes to support?
That's always true but this is an Android forum, so...

These are phones, you're making it sound like we're trying to end companies polluting the environment or human trafficking.
Am I really making it sound like that or am I just being a vocal consumer?

But that doesn't mean everyone has to do as you do.
They don't but it sure would be awesome if I had that power!
I think people understand they have free will, at least I hope they do :)

You're making this sound more important than it is, nothing or no one is going to be hurt if they don't push an update. It's a phone.
For someone who claims to find updates very unimportant why do you care so much and are so vocal on a thread about updates?!?

If you seriously can't deal with it, my advice is to find a company who will fulfill your needs and give them your business. In doing so you'll also force the company you left to reevaluate their business. These companies may listen to their customers, but money speaks louder than words, or in other words, vote with your wallet.
Sometimes that works but it's more effective when large groups let companies know their displeasure. In fact usually to be effective it helps to let a company know as a group your displeasure before you take your money elsewhere.

Last edited:

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
So lollipop runtime is ART, and the standard setting on our phones is Dalvik. Just wondering if any of you have already gone in developer options and switched to ART, if so what's your take??

I did on my Maxx and there are some noticeable improvements and speed ups.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards