Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this is true although this forum is kind of for chatting and tech support so it is to be expected. I know I am having a lot of software problems as of late and I cannot wait to see if this update fixes it.

Posted via the Android Central App

What sort of problems do you have?

Also, most issues are caused by apps. Have you installed anything lately?

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe 5.1 will fix AC - at least for me. VZW states that my area (though solid red) is a fringe coverage area and advised I turn it off.

berserker

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issues with AC calling and missing phone calls so they go straight to voice mail.

I also had issues with missed phone calls until I dialed the following:

*71XXXXXXXXXX [forwards calls when there's no answer or a busy signal to my Google Number (the Xs) voice mail]

Now my phone rings whereas before it didn't ring and went straight to Verizon voice mail.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ah crap, The 5.1 update can't make the phone any worse then what it is now. At least that's the way it is with mine. Can't use AC at all, phone disconnects. So it's turned off completely. Have to use a network extender now, 1X dBm without extender -120!!!! Never had to use extender with Samsung. Okay, enough complaining. All ya get from Verizon is.......we'll start a ticket to fix.......1 day later.....ticket closed cause "they" can't find anything wrong.

Remember I told you about the issues with AC and Network Extenders the other day? And that they said I should leave AC off until they push the update to fix the issue? I decided to check in with Verizon since I haven't heard about any update for either the Network Extender or the phones. I was told that they have no information on an update for either, and nothing is planned. So essentially they lied to me to get me off the phone. At least they credited my account for the overages incurred due to the bug, but apparently they have no plans to fix it either.

I also asked about WiFi calling on Verizon, since that would mean I could lose the NEs and use WiFi calling while at home, which is where the problem is. I was told (I'm starting to see a pattern here) that they had no information on it, only that it's being talked about it. A web search only brought up the comments by Verizon's asshat in charge Frank Shammo saying that WiFi calling was unessecary because of how great their network is and that anyone who leaves due to placing cost efficiency before "quality" is a customer they don't want to keep. I swear that arrogance is going to be Verizon's downfall.

And something else I've wondered, does anyone else notice that we never hear from Verizon's CEO anymore, but everything seems to come from Frank Shammo, the CFO? He's the chief financial officer, so why are we hearing about their strategy from him? He should only be talking about financial matters, not their technology plans. When Lowell McAdam was CEO, he was the only voice we heard out of Verizon, now we have Daniel Mead as Verizon's CEO and I can't recall every hearing him speak publicly, other than when he was given the job. Does anyone else think maybe that looks bad for Verizon going forward?

Stratman Rick

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Constantly amazed at all the issues people are having with the Turbo. This is the best device I've ever had. Battery is fantastic and everything runs snappy on KK. Of course the fact I have never activated VOLTE and do not plan to could have something to do with it. Frankly, I don't care about it. I use this thing as a handheld computer much,much more than a phone anyway, and it is fantastic at that. Lollipop can wait for all I care. But if it comes out next week, that's cool. We'll see.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Constantly amazed at all the issues people are having with the Turbo. This is the best device I've ever had. Battery is fantastic and everything runs snappy on KK. Of course the fact I have never activated VOLTE and do not plan to could have something to do with it. Frankly, I don't care about it. I use this thing as a handheld computer much,much more than a phone anyway, and it is fantastic at that. Lollipop can wait for all I care. But if it comes out next week, that's cool. We'll see.

Different issues for different users for various reasons. I have zero issues with Advanced Calling while others have many. My Turbo is perfect for what I use it for and I don't notice any crippling issues.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This is what bugs me about my fellow technology buffs. We all want the newest technology but why would you want to be an early adopter of a broken OS? This isn't me making crap up. Its been proven time and time again that the versions of Lollipop prior to 5.1 have glitches that should be considered UNACCEPTABLE to all of us. Yet you're all complaining that we don't have it yet and you demand it. Why? So you can complain that Motorola should have waited knowing there were glitches from the get go?

Point is Motorola and Verizon can't win. However, 15 people here moaning that a broken Lollipop isn't on the Turbo yet doesn't even compare to the thousands of people who will call tech support because their phone isn't working as it should. As I said before, several of my friends and family got Lollipop on their S5 and Note 3 devices and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM wants to go back to Kit Kat. They're almost at the point where they want me to root their phones so they can go back.

I don't know about all of you but I'm good where I'm at until 5.1 comes out. Keep that glitch filled crap off my phone. I could understand if I bought a phone with 5.x because I'd know the issues going in. But do not break an already working phone for the sake of having the newest technology.

I'm still calling BS on the idea of *widespread* *major* issues with Lollipop. Until I see some sort of quantifiable/more comprehensive report by a third party, I think this has become an urban legend. One with its basis in truth, of course, for all OS upgrades will have glitches for some subest of adopters.

Put another way, if the issues had really been as bad as some suggest, we'd all *know* that to be the case, because there would have been big time coverage of it. There hasn't seemingly been anything more than problems discussed on Internet forums (or fora if you prefer), just as there is with any sort of issue large or small, and the occasional vague mention of issues generally.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest folks, Google's Lollipop is Microsoft's VISTA. It would be no big loss to skip it altogether and wait for Android 'M'. Google is really pumping up 'M', and essentially is praying that Lollipop 5.1.X is the last revision for that hot mess. What was the last published adoption rate for Lollipop? 12.5%? I doubt it'll get to 20% before OEMs and Carriers halt all work on it.

If 5.1 comes on June 10th.... great. If Motorola/VZ announces to please be patient and wait for 'M'...... all the better.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What was the last published adoption rate for Lollipop? 12.5%? I doubt it'll get to 20% before OEMs and Carriers halt all work on it.

At this time last year, KitKat was at 13.6%, and had just also come out with its fourth revision 4.4.3, and 4.4.4 was right around the corner. Lollipop has hit 5 as well (5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1, 5.1.1).

I agree that lollipop has been a hot mess compared with kitkat, but kitkat was a minor update to ics and jellybean, while lollipop was a radical departure, including a new runtime. No way will oems stop developing for lollipop.

If 5.1 comes on June 10th.... great. If Motorola/VZ announces to please be patient and wait for 'M'...... all the better.

No way will that happen. This phone is getting lollipop, period. I don't know about June 10, but it's coming.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
So if the newest LP update is 5.1.1, and we're slated to get 5.1, will we get the 5.1.1 update or what? This is not a complaint or anything about getting 5.1, just not sure how that works. Do you? Any thoughts?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
McAdam is still the overall CEO. Mead has different duties.

Not according to this.

Verizon Wireless CEO Dan Mead is retiring | The Verge

That's from this year. If you go on Verizon's site it still shows McAdam is the CEO, but I remember him stepping down in 2010. I don't know if Verizon hasn't updated their site or not, but I remember when that happened. According to this, McAdam is now CEO of Verizon Communications, not Verizon Wireless.

Verizon Wireless CEO Stepping Down

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So if the newest LP update is 5.1.1, and we're slated to get 5.1, will we get the 5.1.1 update or what? This is not a complaint or anything about getting 5.1, just not sure how that works. Do you? Any thoughts?

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with 5.1.1.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind not having AC at my home and using NE. BUT, by dang I would LIKE to be able to use the phone away from home. Until this day, when it's not on the NE, and I try to make a call it beeps and disconnects.. Can't receive calls either when not on the NE. And Verizon says nothing's wrong. lol So that's why I want 5.1, maybe something will be fixed in that regards.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind not having AC at my home and using NE. BUT, by dang I would LIKE to be able to use the phone away from home. Until this day, when it's not on the NE, and I try to make a call it beeps and disconnects.. Can't receive calls either when not on the NE. And Verizon says nothing's wrong. lol So that's why I want 5.1, maybe something will be fixed in that regards.

If you actually need a Network Extender to boost the signal so you can make calls in your home, that probably won't change with this update. That's where I am at, and unless they either put up a tower closer to me or enable WiFi calling, I'll have to enable AC on my phone and account when I leave my house and disable them before I get home. In that case I'll just leave it off.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you actually need a Network Extender to boost the signal so you can make calls in your home, that probably won't change with this update. That's where I am at, and unless they either put up a tower closer to me or enable WiFi calling, I'll have to enable AC on my phone and account when I leave my house and disable them before I get home. In that case I'll just leave it off.
There's actually a tower 1 mile from me. No matter what I do AC or not, when I leave my house cannot make or receive calls. My 4G runs at -92 dBm.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There's actually a tower 1 mile from me. No matter what I do AC or not, when I leave my house cannot make or receive calls. My 4G runs at -92 dBm.

There is no way that a Network Extender should've been the solution. The reason we needed a NE was because we're about 20 miles from the nearest tower. My LTE signal is anywhere from -120 to -129dBm. The only other thing I could think of is maybe that tower isn't a Verizon tower, otherwise you should be swimming in signal. That sounds more like a phone hardware issue if they need that much signal make it usable. When on a call with the NE powered down, my 3G is around -90 to -100dBm, and I can make calls but there is some interference. And that's in a house with steel siding, which greatly attenuates cell signals, like around a 10dBm loss.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like hardware issues. I have tried to make an Advanced Calling call with -116 dBm and it worked fine.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no way that a Network Extender should've been the solution. The reason we needed a NE was because we're about 20 miles from the nearest tower. My LTE signal is anywhere from -120 to -129dBm. The only other thing I could think of is maybe that tower isn't a Verizon tower, otherwise you should be swimming in signal. That sounds more like a phone hardware issue if they need that much signal make it usable. When on a call with the NE powered down, my 3G is around -90 to -100dBm, and I can make calls but there is some interference. And that's in a house with steel siding, which greatly attenuates cell signals, like around a 10dBm loss.
Agree.my 1G without NE is -120. So my 4G is a lot better. Yes Verizon verified it's their tower. I agree it's phone, as this is the first I ever needed NE. That is why I still can't make or receive calls outside my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.