Duplicate pictures in dropbox

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else using dropbox noticed that pictures will duplicate themselves after a day or 2? The duplicate picture is a tiny bit smaller and I found that it is because there is no thumbnail embedded in it. It is as if there is something up on the phone that changes the picture after a while, and drop box has to upload another copy. I am also using google plus but I do not have photo sync turned on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I just checked and the same thing is going on for me. This is annoying.

I have all of my pictures being saved to the SD card, how about you?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
No sd card here they are all internal (I have the 32 GB ver). I think it must be related to either opening the pic in the stock gallery or the pic being picked up by Google+. I am going to play with it a bit to see if I can figure it out, I am going to be in airports for the next three days so I will report back after I crack the case.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a 32 gig as well. It labels all the pictures the same name with a -1 at the end.

I have disabled the Google plus picture upload as well. I will let you know as well if I can figure something out.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
No, dropbox basically just keeps one copy and if there is already one with the same name and it knows the two are different (date code check, probably) when it does a push it appends a -# to the end for each additional copy. That's the way the camera upload app does it, since it has the unique task of taking everything in the normal pictures folder and syncing it "up" unlike most dropbox folders that sync both ways.

Whats happening is that when the picture is taken, its full of all kinds of metadata like phone info, gps info, etc. If dropbox syncs it right away (if you are connected to data/wifi and you have >30% battery life) it carries all this info with it. Something on the phone comes along later and deletes a bunch of the info (but the image itself stays the same) and dropbox sees the modification and thinks it needs to re-upload a new copy of the pic.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Would a fix be to disable all of that additional data? Or alternatively' is there any way to prevent it from being deleted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The only thing you can turn off is GPS tagging. All the other metadata is there no matter what. I noticed that for me sometimes it takes a long time to dupe up, do you reboot your phone often?

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response.

I do not reboot unless I am entering into Download mode or Recovery which isn't often at all.

noangelno

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
hi there,
i have the same problem with my galaxy note 2.
is there a way to keep GPS tagging on without dropbox saving the same pic twice?

jennytervakari

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with Galaxy Note 2 4G. But mine makes the duplication in few minutes. And I thought if I would delete pic from my phones gallery it would be automatically deleted from Dropbox, but no.

Mankeli

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Note 2 4G here, and also getting loads of duplicates on Dropbox. Seems like every time I take a new picture it uploads it twice at some point.

mmtbb

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
This is bugging the heck out of me. Dropbox is filled with filled with duplicates with the -1 suffix. It seems like if I delete the photo in the gallery or sometimes even open it, this triggers the duplicate to be created. I need to do more tests. If anyone could help with this, it would be much appreciated!

dpaulero

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I Know why this is happening. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I was having the same problem with the duplicates photos. You need to go to the Configuration, Pessoal, and look for the S Cloud icon. Then you need to go to the "images" and desativate the "Sincronism of images". That resolved for me!! But you can?t see your photos that are stored in Dropbox at the galery in the phone. To see the photos stored in Dropbox you need to use the "app" of Dropbox....please guys see if it?s works for you. :p

David Keel

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, you said we need to go to Confuguration, Personal and the S cloud icon ? Can you tell me if this is on the computer or the android phone ?? I can't see these settings

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
David,
These must be computer-side settings; I don't see anything like that in the Android app.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

David Keel

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have found an answer for Android users. It comes in the form of an app called : 'Photo Sync'.( Android Paradise is the Developers name )
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.photosync&hl=en
It just uploads your photographs once over a WiFi connection. You don't have to do anything really except configure your Dropbox account with the app. It's really simple to do that.
Then once you have taken a photo, it waits for a wifi connection. Once that's been found the upload starts straight away.
Make sure it's the App from Android Paradise. It has support for Dropbox users, unlike some other apps Please give it a rating to encourage the developer if you want to

David Keel

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but when I said you configure your Dropbox account with the Photo Sync App ... That is done in the Photo Sync app itself... It just requires you to sign in to Drpbox using your user name and password for Dropbox. Easy