Dutch speed skating coach rips Team USA

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Dutch Speedskating Coach Sounds off on Team USA in Interview | Bleacher Report

Sometimes you earn the right to talk a little trash in sports.

Look no further than the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks for what happens when brash confidence and talent combine on the biggest stage.

You can officially add Netherlands speedskating coach Jillert Anema, who has led his team to an incredible performance in the 2014 Winter Olympics, to the list of winners on the field (or in this case, ice) who aren’t afraid to talk outside of the lines.

Anema, in an interview with CNBC, offered his opinions on why the Red, White and Blue have struggled in the speedskating department during the 2014 Games in Sochi. Safe to say, he did not mince words (comments passed along by Mike Singer of CBS Sports):

You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football. You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other. … And when you compete once every four years, with talent, with a few lone wolves, who are skating, you can't beat the world, it's no way.

You're [the US] is so narrow-minded, and you waste a lot of good talent in a sport that sucks.

Anema also compared the infrastructure and competitive excellence of speedskating in the Netherlands to that of American basketball in the Summer Olympics: “I think that the gold medal in speedskating is just as valuable as the gold medal in basketball, and we won 22 and you'll never win 22 in basketball.”

What Anema failed to mention when criticizing the United States for sending all of its best athletes into football and basketball is the fact that no country in the 2014 Games has won as many medals as the Americans.

Just imagine what would happen if we actually did send all of our best athletes to Sochi, Coach.

I think it's funny that so many countries around the world still hate the U.S. Yes we are still a force in all Olympic events. No we don't necessarily need to come in first in every category. Our multi-billion dollar institution that is the NFL generates more money than even Europe's Football league, thus, I'm not sure why this coach insists that we pour our athletic talents into speed skating?!?!

A message to all cold climate countries, on behalf of my country, I'd like to congratulate you on a successful Winter Olympics showing, but to those cocky countries that are taking a dig at the U.S. medal count, please research your 2012 Summer Olympic medal count before you mention the U.S. disparagingly in your victorious interviews.

For this Netherlands coach, please see below:

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
United States 46 29 29 104
Netherlands 6 6 8 20

And what the hell, Canada's been a little cocky of late too... :p

Canada 1 5 12 18

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For the victory medals I'd be interested in the percentages since the US (and a few other places) have a higher population than small European countries. I don't care if they hate the US, I take that as a compliment.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2