Edge is a gimmick? $100.00 price bump not worth it? Note 4 is a better device? Prove it Here.......

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I went with the note 4. It's my first note and I really didn't feel the need for the edge. I don't want to tilt my head to the side when a call comes in and I didn't like where the camera shutter is located either. I don't like how the power button is on the top. I like the option of a lot of cases and there's not many for the Note edge. It's a neat idea just wasn't for me. I don't want to change my way of holding a phone because of the edge either. I still remember when Samsung came out with face to unlock the phone.. It was a neat idea but was buggy and it's no longer an option on the password section. I don't think samaung will make another edge but we'll see. As for the clock on the edge, I have day dream setting on with dash clock.. Which works great for me when my phone is docked and I go to sleep.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I went with the note 4. It's my first note and I really didn't feel the need for the edge. I don't want to tilt my head to the side when a call comes in and I didn't like where the camera shutter is located either. I don't like how the power button is on the top. I like the option of a lot of cases and there's not many for the Note edge. It's a neat idea just wasn't for me. I don't want to change my way of holding a phone because of the edge either. I still remember when Samsung came out with face to unlock the phone.. It was a neat idea but was buggy and it's no longer an option on the password section. I don't think samaung will make another edge but we'll see. As for the clock on the edge, I have day dream setting on with dash clock.. Which works great for me when my phone is docked and I go to sleep.
You don't have to tilt your head to the side to see who's calling. You can still get notifications in the top bar as well add the side bar. A lot of the major brand companies are starting to come out with cases now. Not sure why you have to change who you hold the phone??? I still hold mine the way I did my Note 3.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to tilt your head to the side to see who's calling. You can still get notifications in the top bar as well add the side bar. A lot of the major brand companies are starting to come out with cases now. Not sure why you have to change who you hold the phone??? I still hold mine the way I did my Note 3.

Samsung is making all flagship phones from hear on out with the option for the edge. The s6 will have an edge option. The edge is hear to stay. You hold the phone normal. And you don't need to tilt your head to read the edge display. Lol. I mean seriously.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is making all flagship phones from hear on out with the option for the edge. The s6 will have an edge option. The edge is hear to stay. You hold the phone normal. And you don't need to tilt your head to read the edge display. Lol. I mean seriously.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

Your crystal ball works very well.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I actually like the power button on top. I have several HTC phones with the power button on top and got used to it.

The call notifications on the side are very intuitive.

You're right, face unlock was useless!

Posted via the Android Central App

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
l got one because I like having the settings button right at thumbs length without having to stare at it all day on my wallpaper.

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So.. Question... Which I think I already know the answer to but just verifying.. I'm on the fence about trading my note in for the edge.. Came close but went with the note the past 2 weeks...

The edge panels *require* touchwiz correct? I.e. can I run nova launcher and still be able to use the side panel?

Excellent question.... Ordered my Edge tonight and just doing some research before giving up my beloved N4

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Excellent question.... Ordered my Edge tonight and just doing some research before giving up my beloved N4

You can use other launchers. I have installed Nova on mine previously and it works same as it would on any other device (toggle the notification bar, gesture controls, grid adjustments). However, I uninstalled for one minor reason but still noticeable to me which is appearance. See you'll notice on your new edge when you get it some of the edge panels are dark but still semi transparent and you see the continuity of the home screen image behind some panels. But with a 3rd party launcher the edge panel goes to a solid non transparent background and you end up with a very distinct two screen look. And if you were to use a theme based launcher that changes the look of your icons I'm pretty sure in the edge panel they would still be locked to their touch wiz appearance. I could be wrong on that last part though. I never made it that far simply based on the first issue and thus uninstalled.

I have written Nova requesting support for edge be added and while they didn't respond to me pecufically I have heard of members in other forums saying they received word back that they are working on it.

Teague Kelley

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Gear VR? Seeriously? Who cares about a shoe box you ware on your head.....lmao. It's great if you bought a cell phone to sit in your room, but not much good for the actual use of the phone. The gear VR is the biggest gimmick of them all. Can you use it in class? While driving? Walking around the mall? At work? If I want to watch a movie on a 50" screen, I'll use my tv. I'd much rather use my cell phone EVERYWHERE. I can't believe you bring up the Gear VR

Don't be a ******. He's stating why he likes the note 4 over the edge. You wanted a debate so he's attempting to be a part of it.

Ace Red

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Had to post my .02 about this phone. Huge personal debate. Had a Note 2 and loved it but it was time to upgrade. I've been following the Edge since it was announced and was waiting on Verizon. Went to Best Buy and looked at a Tmobile or ATT version. Was not impressed.....still debated.
Verizon finally released it. Decided to go get the edge and if I didn't like it I would switch to the Note 4. After using it for a week, I can tell you I will not return it. What could be seen as a gimmick really is functional for what I do. I love scrolling to my apps without sliding across the screen. Texts don't interfere when reading a book etc. I do not find holding it any different than my Note 2. I was a bit concerned about the power button. I ended up putting a power button on the edge screen where it is handy. I actually find that is better than the side one that was on my Note 2. I would always hit it by accident or turn up/down the volume with the power button, lol. I turn the phone on with the home screen button and off with the app on the edge panel.

The 4 and the edge are the same phone + or - a few pixels depending on if you count the screen only or add in the edge panel. Either way it's fine. I think either phone would be really awesome. Battery drain is not an issue for me. I've been off 13 hours and I'm at 75%. Some days it's 50% depending on how much reading, app browsing or web browsing I do. But to this point I'm not having issues.
Night clock is nice. The screen is really nice and the lack of accessories is not so nice. Seido just came out with Holster and kickstand case that I ordered today. Same one I use with my Note 2 only built for the Edge. Hope it works well.

If I had something I wish I could have it would be another panel for apps on the edge. I can only see 2 panels to put apps on and the rest are for weather, health and other things Samsung has. I put my lesser used apps on normal screen panels.

If you are debating, get the Edge and if you don't like it return within 14 days and get the 4. Bottom line It's really not a gimmick. The Edge panel is a really nice feature.

Jhiggz Merritt

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
This phone is the multi tasking king and Queen hands down... Isn't it all about how much one can do at any given time.. And this phone is coke... This is it.... Haters will always hate what they don't have

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Now that I actually have an Edge I can say that the Edge display is a nice feature. That it's cool. For me, however, it's just a sliq nice convenience feature, not one that is earth-shattering or paradigm-shifting. Perhaps if the S6 truly does get an Edge vaariant we'll see some really neat panels.

from the 🔪 Edge📱

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder