Emergency Alert!! scared the crap out of me

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's outstanding the Nexus 4 has cell broadcast enabled. I've got all my categories enabled and am awaiting my first alert.

FWIW: it doesn't matter what network you are on, it doesn't matter how much signal you have, you don't even need service!!!

Cell broadcasting is sent to any/all towers in the affected area. Any phone that is turned on and CB enabled will get the alert message. It blankets the area that a tower transmits to.

Cell Broadcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny this thread just popped up as I was about to start one asking if anyone is getting their Cell Broadcast alerts. Nice to see we are using them in the US. I have the impression it is much more common in Europe.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had been on AT&T until February when I ordered my Nexus 4 and switched to T-Mobile. All that time on AT&T, I never got any of these emergency alerts. In the time I've been on T-mobile, I got three on my Nexus 4 and one on an iPhone. I wonder if AT&T blocks those or it doesn't work on all phones on their network.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I had been on AT&T until February when I ordered my Nexus 4 and switched to T-Mobile. All that time on AT&T, I never got any of these emergency alerts. In the time I've been on T-mobile, I got three on my Nexus 4 and one on an iPhone. I wonder if AT&T blocks those or it doesn't work on all phones on their network.

i was on ATT when i got the alert. i think its the phone that dont have the cell broadcast feature.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten these a few times for blizzard and avalanche warnings in the Cascades (living in Seattle, it's not far to the passes). They always catch me off-guard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annageebee