Endless buffering while connected to bluetooth

Nate Michanowicz

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I have a OnePlus 7 Pro that has been holding up near perfectly since I bought it on release. Currently Android 11, specifically Oxygen 11.0.1

A little less than a year ago this issue appeared where whenever I'm streaming something over bluetooth with the screen off (video or music, haven't tested file transfers) the internet randomly appears to cut out. I say "appears" because I don't actually lose signal or internet. Whatever is streaming just stalls in an endless "buffer" until I open the app/unlock my phone then it plays whatever it was buffering. And I do mean endless, I tested this at work at one point and it "buffered" a 2:30 length song for 6 hours while I let my phone sit on my desk. Unlocked the phone and it almost immediately started playing (with a popup that said I didn't have internet even though I was connected to very consistently strong wifi)

The most prevalent issue is that I can no longer use my phone for music/audiobooks while driving (doesn't effect podcasts). It stops to endlessly "buffer" in between almost every song and most chapters (although music is definetly the worst offender). But if I open whichever app it immediately starts playing. Sometimes will start just by unlocking my phone won't even need the app open.

This is fairly consistent and repeatable regardless of setting. Doesn't matter which app is being used (tested youtube music, spotify, audible and youtube), or bluetooth device being streamed to (tried multiple wireless earbuds headsets and speakers, galaxy buds 1, 2, live, old airpods, sony mx4, and multiple car bluetooth systems). It doesn't even care if the content is installed locally, it does this with songs I have physically downloaded on my phone (played through YoutubeMusic).

I'm mildly technical and a little familiar with android so I've put a bit of time troubleshooting this problem. I've tried every available combination of AVRCP and MAP version. Tried with different audio sampling rates, different bluetooth codecs and channel modes. I reverted back and tried different android versions and it SEEMED to resolve the issue when I forced an old version of Oreo (8.0 didn't try 8.1) but I didn't test extensively because I, angrily, refused to permanently adopt an unsupported OS (no luck when I tried the latest Android 9 and 10 patches).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
I'll try to get a screenshot of the warning youtube/youtube music pops up. Says something like "No connection. Looks like you're offline" but it is only on my screen for maybe a quarter second before it starts playing and goes away so it's hard to get the screenshot.
Got the screenshot. Attached; will try and grab screenshots from other apps. Spotify is the hardest, the popup it gives me isn't even on screen long enough for me to read it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-124108.jpg
    Screenshot_20211203-124108.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this also happen on mobile data only? I ask because sometimes, certain 2.4 GHz wi-fi channels can interfere with Bluetooth.

This post would probably be better located in the OnePlus forum, since it's may be a device-specific issue -- would you like me to move it there? No problem if you want to keep it in the Audio & Video forum, but this is one of the less trafficked forums.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC!
Try going to settings>system>reset option>reset wifi, mobile, Bluetooth

Make sure the phone is not in battery save mode also.

Nate Michanowicz

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the response! It happens both on Data and Wifi. In fact, it happens on my 4g, when I force trottle down to 3g, on my 2.4Ghz home wifi, my 5Ghz home wifi, when I use a physical ethernet cable (w/ ethernet to usb-c cable). Also the enterprise networks (I think 2.4Ghz?) at my work.

I can leave it to your discretion if you want to move this, I'm fairly new to these forums so I wasn't sure what the best category was. It could definetly be a manufactorer issue, my girlfriend has the same problem (though less consistent) on her OnePlus 8t

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I moved it to the OnePlus 7 Pro forum. Let me see if @Javier P knows anything about this issue -- he is pretty involved in another OnePlus community (I think on Discord), so he often knows about various issues.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. There were similar issues in the past with some versions, specially on T-Mobile devices, but I haven't read any recent reports about it.

Is there any special reason why are you staying in and old build (11.0.1)?

Also, have you already tried safe mode just in case you are having some conflict with a third party app?