Engadget Review

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Engadget did a full on review. I normally love their reviews but this one just felt plain, basic, something we've already seen. Not only that but it also seemed pretty biased.

Samsung Galaxy S III review -- Engadget

Of course they made it seem like the One X is better. Lots of personal opinions on the UI, build of device, and screen. Apple makes another iPhone with 0 changes and the phone is praised on the build. Samsung takes well liked previous designs and enhances it and everyone criticisizes it. HTC moves away from stock Android and generally people like it. Samsung does the same thing with fancy new features and people say its like older versions of Android (which is irrelevant thanks to custom roms and launchers). I just dont get it. Everyones so hard on the S3 and Samsung :-\

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Engadget did a full on review. I normally love their reviews but this one just felt plain, basic, something we've already seen. Not only that but it also seemed pretty biased.

Samsung Galaxy S III review -- Engadget

Of course they made it seem like the One X is better. Lots of personal opinions on the UI, build of device, and screen. Apple makes another iPhone with 0 changes and the phone is praised on the build. Samsung takes well liked previous designs and enhances it and everyone criticisizes it. HTC moves away from stock Android and generally people like it. Samsung does the same thing with fancy new features and people say its like older versions of Android (which is irrelevant thanks to custom roms and launchers). I just dont get it. Everyones so hard on the S3 and Samsung :-\

Or maybe everyone's being honest, and you have a soft spot for samsung so it looks biased to you. Or, they're being hard on it because they expect it to be better than it is.

Just to clarify: I think the reviews have been fair. The S3 is not the same type of handset as the S2. It is very iterative, and competitors are ready for it.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
One of the worst reviews I've read - they spent almost no time on the the interface or user experience besides a small mention. On Apple products, they spend pages reviewing things in minute detail and always end with glowing praise. This review won't help anyone make a decision.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
One of the worst reviews I've read - they spent almost no time on the the interface or user experience besides a small mention. On Apple products, they spend pages reviewing things in minute detail and always end with glowing praise. This review won't help anyone make a decision.

They had an entire section on how bad the UI and several pieces of software were.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. They didn't say whether the One X or S3 was better either, which was good

Yup. FWIW, the VZW GN is still the highest reviewed Android phone they've had (unless I'm wrong in thinking it had an 8.7), but most of that is due to ICS I reckon ;).

The Verge just has better presentation, and more importantly, better writers. Which isn't shocking, since essentially the heart and soul of Engadget left and founded it lol

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I think your statement "but this one just felt plain, basic, something we've already seen" pretty much sums up the GS3. I'm going to buy one, but I'm not really excited for it. My reasons for buying it have nothing to do with the GS3 as something in particular that I want and am excited for, but instead, hopefully, it's released before the Verizon unlimited data cutoff.
It's pretty hard to be excited about drab software (although the launcher is awesome) and more specs.
More specs is great, but the GS3 is pretty meh. Not meh in a bad way, but meh, the GS2 was revolutionary and this is just very good. Truthfully I'd get a One S/X if it were coming to Verizon, but it's not, so I'm getting the GS3.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think your statement "but this one just felt plain, basic, something we've already seen" pretty much sums up the GS3. I'm going to buy one, but I'm not really excited for it. My reasons for buying it have nothing to do with the GS3 as something in particular that I want and am excited for, but instead, hopefully, it's released before the Verizon unlimited data cutoff.
It's pretty hard to be excited about drab software (although the launcher is awesome) and more specs.
More specs is great, but the GS3 is pretty meh. Not meh in a bad way, but meh, the GS2 was revolutionary and this is just very good. Truthfully I'd get a One S/X if it were coming to Verizon, but it's not, so I'm getting the GS3.

Wait, the GS3 has been confirmed for Big Red? Where have I been?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Or maybe everyone's being honest, and you have a soft spot for samsung so it looks biased to you. Or, they're being hard on it because they expect it to be better than it is.

Just to clarify: I think the reviews have been fair. The S3 is not the same type of handset as the S2. It is very iterative, and competitors are ready for it.

Ok maybe there is the possibilty that I too am biased but just because the S3 isnt the clear cut winner in the android race like it was the 2 previous years doesnt mean its the loser. And it doesnt mean that they have to downplay the device

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
GSM arena had an interesting editorial comparing the GS II with the GS III, though the GS II they were comparing has ICS installed, so it is either an international version of one with a custom ROM. The conclusion was that the GS III is a good bet if the $$ make sense to the buyer. As someone whose been carrying around a totally outdated iPhone 3G slug,it would seem the GS3 would be the way to go, but I'm not ruling out the Skyrocket as yet.

The GS3 screen looks impressive as does the camera and it's obviously very fast too. And all the reviewers seem to be fan boys of various hardware, like the Phone Dog whose quite clearly an Apple guy. The iPhone 4S did set some standards which were quickly blown away by the Nexus and other phones, not to mention the fact that it's NOT an LTE device. But since this thread is about reviews, they're all going to be subject to personal taste.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup. FWIW, the VZW GN is still the highest reviewed Android phone they've had (unless I'm wrong in thinking it had an 8.7), but most of that is due to ICS I reckon ;).

The Verge just has better presentation, and more importantly, better writers. Which isn't shocking, since essentially the heart and soul of Engadget left and founded it lol

Omg. I've never actually read the verge, just links that people have posted here. I did not know thats where Josh went! I loved him. Haha. Guess I better start reading over there huh? I mainly read Engadget because I feel that it covers the most technology out all the sites. And it does it pretty quickly.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Omg. I've never actually read the verge, just links that people have posted here. I did not know thats where Josh went! I loved him. Haha. Guess I better start reading over there huh? I mainly read Engadget because I feel that it covers the most technology out all the sites. And it does it pretty quickly.

Yeah man, Topolsky's the EIC and a bunch of others like Nilay Patel went with him. They essentially took all of the talent from Engadget and packaged great writing in a fancier package. Love their podcasts and little tv show things too.

Reactions: Tkbredx

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok maybe there is the possibilty that I too am biased but just because the S3 isnt the clear cut winner in the android race like it was the 2 previous years doesnt mean its the loser. And it doesnt mean that they have to downplay the device

I didn't really get that. What they tried to do (and didn't do all that well) was say that the S3 actually has pretty stiff competition, which the S2 didn't. And since the One X is beastly in its own right, the S3 cannot get some of the free passes that the S2 got. Myriam tends to be as fair as you can get, so any claims of bias ring a little hollow.

The real interesting comparison will happen when the US S3 with a snapdragon comes out. Then any bias will be easy to spot.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

No, but that's exactly what the engadget review said. The GS2 was Samsung bringing a gun to a knife fight, and now it's a much more even fight between HTC and Samsung. That's not saying the GS3 is a bad phone, and I don't think engadget said it was a bad phone. It just means it isn't going to dominate the field like it did.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Blehhh, the hardware may not be revolutionary, but I feel as if the software is. No other phone has features like it. And theyre pretty cool

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Engadget are iPhone fans though, so this was to be expected.

The last couple of sentences basically say they took the HOX over the S3 because Sense is more aligned with ICS than touchwizz, which is something this site have said. Thing is, no-one ever says specifically what is better aligned in Sense. I've played with a HOX and to me Sense doesn't seem to be too different to my original desire.

If nothing else the S3 wins on a slight performance gain, better battery life and having the card slot.

Some of the comments on reviews are hilarious, all moaning about poor build quality and cheap feel when they haven't even seen the phone, let alone held it.

Another, quite detailed review here: Samsung Galaxy S3 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones