Essential Products Inc. cancels next smartphone, is up for sale

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like my Essential phone. I wonder what if anything will happen to the extended warranty. I got it and just received a new unit after dropping it and cracking and scratching the screen. It's a 2 year warranty that for me would be good for another 16 months.

I'm hoping that any preexisting warranties will still be valid and that any future company/corporations would honour said warranties and policies.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I just read on XDA they'd continue with software for two years, security updates for three.

Gayle - could you share the link to where on XDA you read this? (I searched but couldn't find anything). If this is true, I will probably go ahead and purchase a PH-1.

Thanks in advance!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
None of that matters if the company is sold. The new buyers do not have to do anything for us.

That is mostly true; though they should be legally obligated to fulfill warranties. I suspect that any software updates (such as the Android P update) would also be released -- and I suspect Essential has a contract with Google (to be able to offer the P beta) that the new company would be required to honor.

Beyond that, while I would hate not getting the quick updates, our phones would still be no worse off (software wise) than most Samsung phones. ;)

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Beyond that, while I would hate not getting the quick updates, our phones would still be no worse off (software wise) than most Samsung phones. ;)
This is true, lol. Samsung is horrible! But they are #1 anyway. If we all have to wait, we have to wait.

Of course, I actually don't have an Essential anymore. But I am holding out hope for buying a pre-owned Ocean Depths.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I still have hopes that the company will continue to exist. I think they are in this dilemma that if they put the money on phone, they wouldn’t be able to expand well into other areas.

The PH1 is good enough that it can handle another year. So, probably we will see more updates to the phone hardware in 2019.