EVO 4G LTE 3G Speeds

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
For those of you fortunate enough to have your pre-order device what kind of 3G download speeds are you experiencing? Do you think it's better that what you had before? I have a EVO 3D in Dayton, OH and only average about 300-500k. 3G and Wifi is more important to me since I doubt my city will ever see LTE speeds; we never saw WiMax 4G speeds. I can't wait until the Sprint stores start releasing in-store pre-orders...whenever that will be?

Last edited:

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just ran the Speed Test app and I'm getting:

981 kbps DOWN
958 kbps UP

I forget what kind of 3G speeds I was getting with my OG EVO, but my EVO LTE feels a tiny bit faster on 3G.

elvis077

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
425771e5-8db7-a352.jpg
My speed a few miles outside of Portland, Oregon.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Excuse the test in the middle, I don't know what happened with that. Other than that, pretty decent speeds for my area.

Officially sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Forums.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I running a Solid 1m up and down here in B-More. All I know is it seems like my Bars are way more stable then with my OG Evo . I can't wait to see what LTE speeds we hit as Here in the City WiMax was good for the most part that I never ran it off WiFi when Home .

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds impressive, but what time of day are you running your test? Mid day during peak bandwidth use or late night when people are asleep? I have heard that has an impact on download speeds.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I running a Solid 1m up and down here in B-More. All I know is it seems like my Bars are way more stable then with my OG Evo . I can't wait to see what LTE speeds we hit as Here in the City WiMax was good for the most part that I never ran it off WiFi when Home .

I think it would be interesting to know if under the same conditions, would LTE be more battery efficient than your Wimax? Obviously different hardware, but for the most part Wimax is always pretty battery taxing. Hope LTE is a little better.
Wouldn't be surprised if I rarely use it, even though sprint would be charging me for it (both before and after its even available), just like Wimax.

daemon#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No real data, but too me atm it really seems that I had better reception at work (as far as bars) on the OG than the LTE.

2116k/688k/133
1861k778k/153

on the 2 tests I just ran at home though, which seems pretty decent considering I'm in BFE kansas.

Reactions: dtreo

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
2116k/688k/133
1861k/778k/153

on the 2 tests I just ran at home though, which seems pretty decent considering I'm in BFE kansas.

"Pretty decent?" More like "fantastic". Let's put it this way, the best rates I *EVER* get here are around 800Kb/s and that is at 2am or something. During the day, 250Kb/s is a typical average, fluctuating from 50Kb/s up to 400Kb/s or so. And that is with 6 bars (full signal).

If I could consistently get the 3G speeds you are quoting, I wouldn't even care that much about 4G (I really don't use data that much).

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Late last night. I'm just outside of Manassas VA. Top one is obviously on WiFi. These speeds were consistently about 150k higher than my wife's iPhone sitting right next to it. They are also about that much higher than my old Optimus.
View attachment 26391

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

rajamahal

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's enough to play Pandora on high quality throughout my entire commute. ATT and edge couldn't do that. And with the data caps 4g really isn't that useful. You end up switching to WiFi anyway. Sprints the way to go right now. And buy some stock cuz its gonna go up

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be interesting to know if under the same conditions, would LTE be more battery efficient than your Wimax? Obviously different hardware, but for the most part Wimax is always pretty battery taxing. Hope LTE is a little better.
Wouldn't be surprised if I rarely use it, even though sprint would be charging me for it (both before and after its even available), just like Wimax.

Yea that's something to think about but I never really worried about Battery life. I do a bunch of Live Streaming so Batteries are always being swapped or boosted as I try to keep them topped off if I'm out.

I'm interested in how well my Boosters hold up now that I can't just swap one of my 6 spare batteries I had on the Evo lol

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
"Pretty decent?" More like "fantastic". Let's put it this way, the best rates I *EVER* get here are around 800Kb/s and that is at 2am or something. During the day, 250Kb/s is a typical average, fluctuating from 50Kb/s up to 400Kb/s or so. And that is with 6 bars (full signal).

If I could consistently get the 3G speeds you are quoting, I wouldn't even care that much about 4G (I really don't use data that much).

I'm with you I'd be more than happy with 800k-1MB. Just curious to know if anyone out there is seeing over 2MB in any city?

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Could the improved 3G speeds be that the Evo LTE has better antennas and/or the Network Vision upgrades?

*sigh* I wish I had an Evo LTE to test...did a preorder yesterday at Best Buy, they *may* get a shipment in this week after the holiday.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfoot715