Experience with lens accessories?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those clip-on lenses typically give a subpar experience, since it's difficult to get a really good fit onto the phone's lens. They also usually don't take into account if the phone is in a case.

I used Moment lenses for a while (which requires a special case provided by Moment) -- really high quality products, and the cases are also really nice. But as mentioned above, they're also really expensive, and the most telephoto you can get is about 2x. Once I jumped from my old Pixel 3a XL to the 6 Pro (and now the 7 Pro), the excellent built-in telephoto (as well as the software-assisted Super-Res zoom) has made external lenses completely unnecessary.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have used such things, yes, though not that particular brand. My experience is that you get bad quality, with chromatic aberration, poor definition, and distortion. Even using an expensive high-quality binocular gives only a limited area of good definition. It’s difficult to see what sort of optical design would preserve the original quality, but if it were possible, it would surely cost much more than $35.

This is precisely the reason that I bought a phone with a periscopic telephoto camera.

Smellincoffee

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Will look into Moment!

I have used such things, yes, though not that particular brand. My experience is that you get bad quality, with chromatic aberration, poor definition, and distortion. Even using an expensive high-quality binocular gives only a limited area of good definition. It’s difficult to see what sort of optical design would preserve the original quality, but if it were possible, it would surely cost much more than $35.

This is precisely the reason that I bought a phone with a periscopic telephoto camera.

What phone do you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny