Exporting Amazon KIndle downloads from Nexus to a PC

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I've searched for posts on this topic but can't find any. If they are there and I'm simply looking in the wrong place or with the wrong search terms, my apologies.

My Nexus 7 (bought in 2013) is used mainly for ebooks from various sources, primarily Amazon, so over the years the number of titles stored in its memory has become very unwieldy. Because of this (I assume) the table now runs very slowly and erratically, especially the Amazon Kindle app. It's running Anndroid 4.4.4.

Is it possible to export the bulk of these titles to roomier storage on a desktop PC? They seem to be in the Nexus folder Internal storage/Android/data/com.amazon where they're filed under puzzling file names rather than their titles, but my attempt to move them across the (wired) network to a Windows 7 machine didn't work: the Nexus simply froze and had to be rebooted.

Am I making a very basic mistake somewhere? I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Many thanks.

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the speedy reply. The simple answer to your question is that I don't know: some of the titles were bought nearly twenty years ago, if that makes any difference. I'll go to Amazon UK and see if I can find out.

Thanks.

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
An update: the Kindle for PC app is marked "unavailable" on Amazon UK but proved to be downloadable from amazon.com. Unfortunately, though in the installation appeared to go through properly, the program will not open on my Windows 7 PC.

I decided to uninstall it and try again but got the message "Amazon Kindle is running: do you want to close it and continue?" but saying "Yes" had no discernable effect. I'll keep trying.

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the new link. I successfully downloaded the app from there, and - as before - it seemed to install OK. But opening it produced no visible result, though it does appear (as Kindle.exe 32) under "processes" in the Win7 Task Manager.

I couldn't see a link to the Kindle Cloud Reader site on that page, but Googling it took me straight there, and all my titles are indeed listed. I haven't investigated how to grab them for my PC but I'll get onto it as soon as I can.

Many thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that may be the best you can do at this point. I wonder if Amazon has subtly dropped support for Windows 7, which is no longer supported by Microsoft. By the way, that may serve as a good reminder that it would probably be best for you to upgrade your PC to a more current one that runs Windows 10, since staying on Windows 7 does put you at more risk for malware.

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. I discovered a different way to access the Cloud library: in the Amazon Kindle Store, "Manage my content and devices" takes you there, and what's more each title has a drop-down list of download options. These include "Deliver to Default Device/Others" and Others generates a second list, which in my case includes "Kindle for PC" and "Kindle for PC2" - interesting in itself since I only tried to install the program once.

Selecting either and downloading a title generates a message that it has been "safely delivered".

Unfortunately, since I can't run the program I can neither check that this is true nor open the file.

If you're right and the Kindle for PC app has been deliberately crippled so as to not work with Windows 7, I think that's absolutely disgusting. I will not be blackmailed into changed my operating system.

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Since posting the above I've discovered this site which offers previous version of the Kindle for PC program going back to 2010:

https://kindle-for-pc.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

After trying a few I discovered that a release from November 2019 installed and ran correctly for me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem eager to receive any of the test titles I downloaded to "Kindle for PC"...

More experimentation tomorrow, I think.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're right and the Kindle for PC app has been deliberately crippled so as to not work with Windows 7, I think that's absolutely disgusting. I will not be blackmailed into changed my operating system.

I understand that it's a hassle to upgrade machines for the sake of the OS, but it's unfortunately the nature of technology and the security risks that come with it -- I wouldn't call it blackmail. As both hardware and software continue to advance, it's not feasible for companies to keep every single prior version up to date and secure, because sooner or later, older technology becomes obsolete and unable to keep up with current demands.

Check out this article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-7-end-of-life-security-risks-and-what-you-should-do-next/

BertCoules

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, and of course I take your point, though in fact I don't need to keep up with the demands of current technology. My everyday use of that particular PC centres on the 2000 version of Word, an older edition of WordPerfect, and various other bits of software of much the same date. They, and Windows 7, are now so ingrained in my brain and my fingers that to be honest, the prospect of having to deal with a potential security threat is far preferable to the inconvenience and uncertainty of a change to Windows 10.

In fact, the only time I did experience a security breach, it was a very serious one concerning identity theft and bank accounts - and it happened when Windows 7 was still fully supported and completely up to date, and supposedly armed with all the latest safety measures.

But this is just a purely personal point of view and as I say I do understand the more conventional viewpoint.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan