F-Keys on the tablets

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
As I contemplate getting a tablet.

For business I am still working on the AS400 legacy system. Is anyone aware if these have the ability to use or have ?F Keys?? I am not sure the Ipad or xoom or any of them can, but am hoping. If not I might as well stay with my laptop.

Can you map the key board or download anther key board that has F-Keys?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Not that I am aware of. And since AS400 relies so heavily on Fn keys, you might be out of luck. However, if you or anyone finds a keyboard that provides Fn key abilities or at least the mapping capabilities to do so, please post it here. I'd be curious to see that myself since I still work in some legacy systems from time to time requiring use of the Fn keys.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Using the Application Tn5250 I have access to the function keys on the screen, however it is not optimized for the tablet yet.

Also the BT keyboard has a fn key on it and the top row of keys give you F1-F12, then for the F13-F24 you need add shift to it like you would on a racked HMC keyboard.

lurp

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The TinyTERM for iPad app, an emulator, has (working) Fn keys. I have installed and used this on the iPad. I used Century Software's terminal emulator TinyTERM on the PC many years ago and found it to be one of the best available. Their iPad emulator is the best I have used on a tablet.

Now if I could only get one for my Android phone (HTC Evo 4G)...
From what I've noticed, the problem is that the Ctrl key is not supported on the Android. Since F1 is actually Ctrl + \, F2 is Ctrl + ], F3 is Ctrl + ^, F4 is Ctrl + _, etc... it's not possible to program these keys if the OS doesn't support Ctrl. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that's why I haven't found an emulator which supports these keys for the Android.

kennyc

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I've tried using the Hacker's Keyboard and I get "OP" displayed when I press F1. Anyone got any ideas or know of any other keyboard apps that allow the use of Fn keys?

Ta,
Kenny

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thumb Keyboard 4 has user-definable hot keys (20 in landscape mode, 12 in portrait) with bindings to F1 - F10 amongst the selectable options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod