Face unlock coming via Android 12L for 6 Pro only?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
https://www.phonearena.com/news/pixel-6-pro-face-unlock-android-12l_id137188

So there's an interesting article going around now that states that face unlock will be coming to the 6 pro model only via Android 12L. How do you guys feel if the regular 6 model gets excluded? The article claims that there is no hardware difference that makes the 6 not as capable to get face unlock. With that being said it would make no business sense to bring it to the higher end model and not the other. Will be interesting to see what happens once we finally get Android 12L preview.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

So there's an interesting article going around now that states that face unlock will be coming to the 6 pro model only via Android 12L. How do you guys feel if the regular 6 model gets excluded? The article claims that there is no hardware difference that makes the 6 not as capable to get face unlock. With that being said it would make no business sense to bring it to the higher end model and not the other. Will be interesting to see what happens once we finally get Android 12L preview.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the selfie camera on the 6 was different from the selfie camera in the pro?

Still since it's that less secure version of face unlock I don't see why you wouldn't be able to implement it.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

The article states the Pixel 6 Pro COULD get Face Unlock, not that it will. I wouldn't read more into that than written.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the selfie camera on the 6 was different from the selfie camera in the pro?

Still since it's that less secure version of face unlock I don't see why you wouldn't be able to implement it.
True just like the selfie camera on the S21 and the S21 Ultra. Always good to have a choice especially considering how finicky the fingerprint scanner can be. That's why I'm glad to have smart lock. Don't like having my phone locked in the car or while I'm at home.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The article states the Pixel 6 Pro COULD get Face Unlock, not that it will. I wouldn't read more into that than written.
Yea we know to take everything with a grain of salt that's why I posed the topic as more of a question. It's interesting now that they are speculating that it may only come to the 6 pro and not the regular 6.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yea we know to take everything with a grain of salt that's why I posed the topic as more of a question. It's interesting now that they are speculating that it may only come to the 6 pro and not the regular 6.
My point is that the article did not state it is coming to the Pixel 6 Pro, just that there are indications that it might or could.
As we know there are many features, that were found in lines of code, that never saw the light of day.
As far as why the Pixel 6 Pro would get it and not the P6 is the selfie cameras are not the same. The Pixel 6 Pro selfie camera might be able to capture more details of the face. Who knows.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
That'd be a bummer if only one. Got it and not the other, but to be honest I don't expect face unlock coming. I'd be shocked and hopefully a good shocked!...

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That'd be a bummer if only one. Got it and not the other, but to be honest I don't expect face unlock coming. I'd be shocked and hopefully a good shocked!...
That's how I feel. Face unlock is not my first choice, but it's always good to have options. Guess we'll see once Android 12L is available.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Since the article said this was an "experimental" feature and 12L is mainly to test foldables and tablets it's possible neither Pixel 6 will get this and it's for some future device; or totally experimental and nothing gets it for a long time.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Since the article said this was an "experimental" feature and 12L is mainly to test foldables and tablets it's possible neither Pixel 6 will get this and it's for some future device; or totally experimental and nothing gets it for a long time.
Possible for sure, but also the code that supposedly was found is for code name Raven aka 6 pro. Hopefully we don't have to speculate for much longer and actually find out this month.

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
Face unlock for P6/6pro will not arrive in the December update. Google says the December update has face unlock improvements for P4 and 4XL only.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Could the discrepancy between the 6 and the Pro getting Face Unlock be due to a better selfie camera on the Pro?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Face unlock for P6/6pro will not arrive in the December update. Google says the December update has face unlock improvements for P4 and 4XL only.
Yea we're aware of that. The rumor now is that there's a code for it in Android 12L. Unfortunately the 6 pro is left out of testing the beta for now.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 6 Pro, so would love face unlock to come to the phone, though it would be nice to see face unlock also coming to the 6 as well.

Even though the Pro will of course have more features, I think because face unlock won't require additional hardware to be implemented, it should come out on the Pixel 6 as well.

My concern will be just how far and secure it'll be. As the phones don't have the same face unlock hardware that the iPhone and the Pixel 4 had, so I'm wondering if it'll be secure or if it can be fooled easily.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I have a 6 Pro, so would love face unlock to come to the phone, though it would be nice to see face unlock also coming to the 6 as well.

Even though the Pro will of course have more features, I think because face unlock won't require additional hardware to be implemented, it should come out on the Pixel 6 as well.

My concern will be just how far and secure it'll be. As the phones don't have the same face unlock hardware that the iPhone and the Pixel 4 had, so I'm wondering if it'll be secure or if it can be fooled easily.
It won't be secure biometrics

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It won't be secure biometrics

Then should it be released? If it's not secure and can be easily fooled, does Google really want the backlash of it being bypassed by someone to get info. Or even the feature getting ridiculed by media for being flimsy.

If they're going to release a face unlocking feature, it has to be as good as the iPhone's face unlock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance