Face Unlock is good but...

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to think about it. Not sure about using a beta of my password manager given how much incredibly powerful data it holds.

Thanks for posting this though!

I will probably wait also. I just posted that to illustrate that LastPass is working on it and is already close to officially supporting Face Unlock.

bonedatt

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I only care about the Pixel 4's face ID because the push to get developers adopt the new biometric API after November 1st means that my LG G8 should also benefit since it's had a secured face unlock system since April.

Last edited:

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Yeah really wish Google reached out to devs ahead of time to help implement it faster

Had to actually type in my password for my apps that usually require a fingerprint reader. The nerve of these developers. Know how long it takes to type in a password? First world problems......

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Had to actually type in my password for my apps that usually require a fingerprint reader. The nerve of these developers. Know how long it takes to type in a password? First world problems......
I starting use the LastPass Beta which supports the new Face Unlock. But yes, first world problems as with almost every other thread in the forums.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple built the software for Face ID differently. Any app that was set up for Touch ID automatically worked with Face ID. Developers didn't have to add anything on their end. I still have apps that ask me if I want to turn on Touch ID the first time I log in to them on my XS Max. Just tap yes and Face ID automatically works.

This is true. I experienced this on my Iphone and had assumed it would work the way Face ID did. Unfortunately it doesn't.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just got the 4 XL evening and face unlock working great. I'm used to face id on the iPhone so this isn't new to get adjusted. Overall seems to be much faster than face id and with the limited time I have spent till now it's looking great.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got the 4 XL evening and face unlock working great. I'm used to face id on the iPhone so this isn't new to get adjusted. Overall seems to be much faster than face id and with the limited time I have spent till now it's looking great.

Yup, same here. I use the face unlock on my Pixel 4 XL , and apple face id on
my iphone .

Now that LastPass supports Face Unlock I absolutely love it!

Yes, Glad Lastpass has the face unlock now as well :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If apps don't adopt this tech it's going to be a deal breaker for me. I really hope app updates are around the corner to support it.
They will. The big get here is that biometrics are now supported at the OS level. And with so many phones going in that direction, more apps will follow.

Granted, phones now have to implement it. There are currently two, only one running Android, that does facial recognition in way that will pass muster.

I don't think it'll take long either. Google has plenty leverage to get developers to support it.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
If apps don't adopt this tech it's going to be a deal breaker for me. I really hope app updates are around the corner to support it.

I wouldn't hold your breath. There are not enough P4 phones out there for companies to care. I figure it will be at least a year before apps are updated.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath. There are not enough P4 phones out there for companies to care. I figure it will be at least a year before apps are updated.
I don't think it'll take that long. From my understanding is that it's a mandatory security protocol with Android 10 and not specific to only Pixel 4 so devs would have to abide by the new standard if the device has the hardware or not.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Plus, Finance, etc... They are all pushing for enhanced security protocols. Fingerprints are ok, 3D facial mapping is better. And Banks and such are itching to force improvements.

But like above says, Google is pushing it for Android, not for the Pixels. And they are getting a bit less patient with OEMs implementing things lately.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I need to check out LastPass. I am not happy with the way the Wells Fargo app is working on the 4XL. As big as Wells Fargo is I would assume they will fix it eventually. Discover app requires a PIN which is not ideal but I can live with that. I haven't really noticed any other apps with Face ID problems.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I need to check out LastPass. I am not happy with the way the Wells Fargo app is working on the 4XL. As big as Wells Fargo is I would assume they will fix it eventually. Discover app requires a PIN which is not ideal but I can live with that. I haven't really noticed any other apps with Face ID problems.

I think they will. They have the Face id for their App on the iphone working. Either way for me I will still have to enter a security code.
But when they have face unlock for their App, on the Pixel at least I wont also have to enter my password :)