Question Factory reset phone, data recovery ?

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Not as simple as it sounds, for the past year or so my son has been using my phone to play games on.

Last week I got a new phone , set it up and transferred everything.

I want to factory reset the old phone and put a new sim into it and give it to my son. It will be set up with a google childs account.

Is there anyway to do this without losing any data on my sons games so he doesn't have to start them from the beginning?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What games has he been playing? Have they been logged into a Google Play Games account? Many games that have this feature will also save gameplay to that Play Games account (which would probably be your account).

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
What games has he been playing? Have they been logged into a Google Play Games account? Many games that have this feature will also save gameplay to that Play Games account (which would probably be your account).
So if I reset the phone , set it back up as a childs account attached to mine then download the games again the data should be with them? They are just free games like sonic etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question, I'm not sure. If you set the device up with your child's Google account, then the Google Play Games account would be theirs, not yours.

How old is your child? It might be easier to keep the device associated with your account, and use a kid-safe launcher to restrict what they can access, like Kids Place.

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
That's a good question, I'm not sure. If you set the device up with your child's Google account, then the Google Play Games account would be theirs, not yours.

How old is your child? It might be easier to keep the device associated with your account, and use a kid-safe launcher to restrict what they can access, like Kids Place.
He is seven , Im not sure how it works with childrens accounts on Google, I know Amazon have both parent and childs account on the same device and you migrate apps across , Amazon is android but slightly changed so Im not sure of Google is the same. Id rather not have my account on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Google's Family Link? Was your son's account created using his real age (which would require Family Link) or a, shall we say, "exaggerated" age ;), i.e. >13?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I havent set anything up yet, he doesnt have a google account yet.
The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if a child's account (managed by a parent through Family Link) can access the Google Play Games app in the first place. But if you were to create a non-child account for him, the issue would still be that any game progress that might have been saved to the cloud would still be associated with your Google Play Games account, not his.

It's also worth noting that not all games take advantage of Google Play Games cloud saves (and many games might also require the user to manually select the option to log into Google Play Games before playing).

Some games might have savegame files that are easily accessible by the user, but I'm guessing most do not. You can use a file manager app to look through app data folders, but in many cases, these folders may be protected by the system and therefore not accessible by the user.

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if a child's account (managed by a parent through Family Link) can access the Google Play Games app in the first place. But if you were to create a non-child account for him, the issue would still be that any game progress that might have been saved to the cloud would still be associated with your Google Play Games account, not his.

It's also worth noting that not all games take advantage of Google Play Games cloud saves (and many games might also require the user to manually select the option to log into Google Play Games before playing).

Some games might have savegame files that are easily accessible by the user, but I'm guessing most do not. You can use a file manager app to look through app data folders, but in many cases, these folders may be protected by the system and therefore not accessible by the user.
The chances are it might have to be a non child account as I cant have my account on the phone, he lives between two different homes and I couldnt risk a device with potential access to my data travelling with him.

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Very tricky. Sorry, but I'm not sure if there's a reliable way to do this across multiple games, apart from what we've already discussed.
Thats Ok , I will have a play with things and if it means starting the games from scratch then its not the end of the world, I think him having his first phone will far outweigh having to start the games again, thankyou for taking the time to help me, its greatly appreciated.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool