Factory Reset

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I walked through the mall today with the phone in my pocket. When I got back in the car and took my phone out of my pocket I noticed to my dismay that it was doing a factory reset. Everything was erased and the phone was back to its original form. I can't imagine what would cause this to happen. It took several hours to put it back the way I wanted it. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it a definite factory reset, which would have uninstalled any apps you already installed, and then asked you to re-login to Google to connect your phone? If not, then it was probably a system update. I have read that there is already a minor system update for the Maxx already, so that if you get the phone new, once you've set everything up, it will prompt you to install the update right away. But a system update shouldn't completely revert your phone to factory state.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Was it a definite factory reset, which would have uninstalled any apps you already installed, and then asked you to re-login to Google to connect your phone? If not, then it was probably a system update. I have read that there is already a minor system update for the Maxx already, so that if you get the phone new, once you've set everything up, it will prompt you to install the update right away. But a system update shouldn't completely revert your phone to factory state.

Took it back to it's factory state. Had to reinstall apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange. If it happens some more, definitely ask them to replace it. You might even consider bringing it back now during the 14 day grace period, letting them know it factory reset on its own, and asking for a replacement in case the one you have right now is buggy.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I walked through the mall today with the phone in my pocket. When I got back in the car and took my phone out of my pocket I noticed to my dismay that it was doing a factory reset. Everything was erased and the phone was back to its original form. I can't imagine what would cause this to happen. It took several hours to put it back the way I wanted it. Any ideas?

We see what you downloaded and who you were talking with. Cease and desist or we will continue to reset your phone.

-NSA

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Strange. If it happens some more, definitely ask them to replace it. You might even consider bringing it back now during the 14 day grace period, letting them know it factory reset on its own, and asking for a replacement in case the one you have right now is buggy.

+1, Get another one now. You don't want to wait and end up with a refurb later vs. a new replacement now. Referubs aren't always bad, but you don't want one if you can help it.

I had to replace my Droid X immediately because of dead pixels on the camera. I got a brand new phone in the box. If I power it up today it would run and be in perfect condition besides typical wear. I had to replace my Droid RAZR because the battery would drop quickly, and when it reached 40% it would die in less than 30 minutes. I got a refurb. That phone is still functional today, but the case never fit together quite right. It started to creak when I would press the side buttons, and the volume up and down need significant pressure to operate. This happened over time, and may have had nothing to do with it being a refurb, but it reminded me that it was.

Get a new Maxx right now while you can.

rknize

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
What exactly did you see when you first looked at it? Was it in recovery mode performing the erase (green Android with the message "Erasing..." under it) or were you just mysteriously back at the Welcome wizard, as if the phone was brand new?

Phenix

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
You know anybody that would prank you that has access to your Google or Motorola account? These phones can be wiped from a web browser....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton