Factory Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Only 3G Capable?

A

AC Question

I recently purchased a factory unlocked GSM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (model: SM-N910A) and was planning on joining Cricket Wireless (AT&T's non-contract option). When checking my IMEI on Cricket's website, I was told the phone would only be 3G compatible (even though Cricket offers 4GLTE speeds). Any reason why my device would be limited to only 3G? And is there any way to resolve this and make it 4G/4GLTE compatible?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you certain that's the model number? A factory unlocked phone purchased from a non-carrier source is often an international version, rather than a carrier-based version.

ajruiz6453

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I am certain that is the model number. Found it under Settings>General>About Device>Model Number. Now, I'm not very well versed in all of the technicals of mobile devices, but I think I've seen that APN settings can affect connectivity? I came across this in another article:

...your phone can fill in the APN information automatically when it connects. Small changes are often sent via SMS once the core connection is made. For example — inserting a Cricket SIM card will cause your phone to fill in the APN settings for a standard AT&T-based pre-paid carrier. Once that's done, you'll get a text with a download for "better" settings that optimize your connection...

Does this mean I can buy and instal a Cricket SIM (which is what I was planning on doing), originally be limited to 3G, change my APN settings via SMS, then be optimized for 4G/LTE?

ajruiz6453

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
The person I spoke to yesterday was of no help, but I just talked with someone else today. From the way the person today made it sound, their online IMEI checker only checks for the minimum connectivity (3G) for my device because even though my device may be 4G/LTE capable, coverage isn't guaranteed everywhere. As long as I'm in an area with 4G and/or LTE coverage, I should be fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Todar86