Failed to add bookmark

dande13

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 which I have been using happily for a few weeks.

Using Chrome, I have been adding Bookmarks successfully but since yesterday I repeatedly get the message "Failed to add Bookmark".

Can you hep please? Words of one syllable would be appreciated by this ageing non-techie. Many thanks

Last edited:

dande13

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy. Thanks for your reply. It seems to happen for all sites - I've tried quite a few! One interesting point which may be relevant. If I use the Android Internet browser rather than Chrome, Bookmarks are added.

Hope this is helpful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Apps (the system settings, not the Chrome app's settings), select Chrome, then Storage, then Clear Cache. Now try adding a bookmark again.

Do you know if the bookmarks you've been adding are going to the Mobile Bookmarks folder, or one of the others (i.e., Bookmarks Bar or Other Bookmarks)? If they haven't been going to the Mobile Bookmarks folder, try also the Clear Data option in the abovementioned Storage menu. Any bookmarks from the Bookmarks Bar or Other Bookmarks should sync back from your Chrome data in the cloud. I'm not sure about the Mobile Bookmarks folder, though -- I'd have to test that.

dande13

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Really appreciate your help B Diddy. I have cleared cache from Chrome>Settings but pop up still apoears "Failed to add bookmark".

As very much a computer novice, especially with Android, can you please explain how to access Mobile Bookmarks, Bookmarks bar, etc. Also, if I clear data from Chrome>Storage, how do I retrieve existing bookmarks from the Cloud? Sorry to appear dim and would welcome your further help.

There was no problem adding bookmarks until a couple of days ago so can't help thinking I have clicked on something unecessarily.

Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To look at the various bookmark folders, open Chrome and tap Menu>Bookmarks. If you see a leftward arrow at the upper left of the screen, tap it until you can't any more. That should be the highest folder level, and you should see Bookmarks Bar, Other Bookmarks, and Mobile Bookmarks. Now tap Mobile Bookmarks -- are all of your bookmarks there, or are they in one of the other folders?

If your bookmarks are in the Bookmarks Bar or Other Bookmarks, and if Chrome is syncing with your Google account (which you can tell by going to Chrome's Settings and seeing if your account is shown at the top of the menu), then Chrome will sync those bookmarks to your Google account in the cloud, and they'll be accessible in Chrome anywhere as long as you're signed in. So if you clear the data (including the bookmarks) from the Chrome app, it will automatically resync your Bookmarks Bar and Other Bookmarks from your Google account in the cloud. But as far as I can tell, this won't happen with Mobile Bookmarks -- those only remain locally on that specific device, so if you clear out those bookmarks, they're lost.

dande13

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. Have arrowed back as suggested but it stopped at Mobile Bookmarks (51 of them). No indication of Bookmark Bar or Other Bookmarks.

However, when I go to Chrome>Settings it shows at the top our names and "Syncing to (email address)".

Does this make any thing clearer- or not! Sorry to have to keep this thread going but I do very much appreciate your help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Have arrowed back as suggested but it stopped at Mobile Bookmarks (51 of them). No indication of Bookmark Bar or Other Bookmarks.

However, when I go to Chrome>Settings it shows at the top our names and "Syncing to (email address)".

Does this make any thing clearer- or not! Sorry to have to keep this thread going but I do very much appreciate your help.
Also, you could try this and see if you get the same error. Open Chrome - three dots - bookmarks - tap the three dots right of an existing one - edit - tap on the name of the folder - select Mobile bookmarks. If you get any error repeat the same process and select a different folder.

If you didn't get any error try to add a new bookmark and see if it works this time.

dande13

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Result! Many thanks Javier P for the suggestion which worked. Back to adding Bookmarks now.

Thank you, too, B Diddy for your contributions.

Really appreciate all your efforts.

Kind regards.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Result! Many thanks Javier P for the suggestion which worked. Back to adding Bookmarks now.

Thank you, too, B Diddy for your contributions.

Really appreciate all your efforts.

Kind regards.
Excellent! Glad it helped. Probably there was a problem with the default folder where the bookmarks were being saved, maybe it was deleted from a different device. With that process you just changed the default folder for your mobile bookmarks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nictu