Failing Android 13 Update and rollback with Nokia T21

arlecchino

May 24, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I've a Nokia/HMD T21 TA-1487 Tablet which had Android 12 and it has been provided an OTA Update to Android 13. Exact versions 00WW_1_35E to 00WW_2_420.
The update downloaded and installed at first successful and after restarting the tablet with the provided restart button, it has restarted automatically 3 times with only showing Android and Nokia boot logos and after doing the 4th automatic restart it started up back to Android 12 and reporting about the failed update without any further information about the cause.
The game has been repeated multiple times without any difference and success.

I had already contacted the HMD support, but they could only provide the advice to send the tablet to repair service.

So I could reset the tablet and deleted all data on it and retried the update with the fresh device. And then the update has been successful.

Before doing this I've collected adb logcat output of the failing update during the 3 reboots and the rollback during the 4th reboot.

Do you have some idea what might have been the problem that the update failed without resetting the device?
I've attached some snippets of the logcat which looks suspicious for me and I could also provide the full logs of installation and 4 reboots (up to 10 MB text per file).

Attachments

• T21_adb_log.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 3

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Not an expert at reading those logs but sometimes OTA updates can get corrupted maybe from not being on good strong WiFi is a possibility

Reactions: arlecchino

arlecchino

May 24, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Not an expert at reading those logs but sometimes OTA updates can get corrupted maybe from not being on good strong WiFi is a possibility
Well, I've retried the update 10 times over 2 weeks, so might be some bug.
I also think, that incomplete or corrupted download would be detected by checksum during the first installation phase before the restart.

Reactions: mustang7757