[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods

chris41g

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ext4 won't cause the file corruption, its the journaling off that may or may not case cause that..
Journaling on is safer regardng random power loss
Journaling off is faster but can cause data corruption with loss of power

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all!

Now, i'm reading that titanium is a good backup app. will this also save game settings? I have a lot of stars on angry birds. :)

Couple of more questions:
ext4 file format - is this a safe method to use? Suppose my phone locks up and i need to do a reboot. files won't get corrupted? My concern is i want to make sure i can run apps whenever wanted and not be limited to a file format system.

Since i've updated to ec05, my battery life has been so-so. Figured if i'm going to do a hard reset with the phone, might as well try some roms and see how they fare.

Thanks again!
B

Yes Titanium is good for things like Angry Birds and others... Also Mybackup Root is another good app.

EXT4 is fine. Basically any custom ROM that has been modified beyond stock is using EXT4 format. RFS format is what your phone is running from the factory and isn't the most reliable file system. Make good use of the NanDroid Backup option in ClockWorkMod , in case something does go wrong you have something to restore to.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my epic and how do I install a kernle pleaze help

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

You just download the kernel of choice and flash it in CWM.

Edit, I would recommend switching to EXT4 and installing a custom ROM. Most of the kernels are designed to EXT4.

Last edited:

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of trying out either bonsai or syndicate roms while I wait for CM7. I'm not really sure what the key differences are between them. Other than the launcher and that syndicate removes all the bloatware. I don't want to assume bonsai does too so I would like verification just to be sure before I go forward with either of them. I intend on using ADWlauncher with either or both whichever I decide to use. Is it possible once ADW is installed to uninstall the one built in?

aristarchus

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of trying out either bonsai or syndicate roms while I wait for CM7. I'm not really sure what the key differences are between them. Other than the launcher and that syndicate removes all the bloatware. I don't want to assume bonsai does too so I would like verification just to be sure before I go forward with either of them. I intend on using ADWlauncher with either or both whichever I decide to use. Is it possible once ADW is installed to uninstall the one built in?

You can install any launcher after the fact, you just need to swap the default launcher when you do. most launchers will show you how to do that as part of setup. I have used launcher pro and zeam in both bonsai and acs,and they work fine.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

You can download an application called Home Switcher from the Market. It will make switching between multiple launchers easy. Bonsai does have some of the bloatware removed also.

oly8ball

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
New Epic/Android owner/user

Hi all,,my Name is Karl......just got my epic 4g this week.....came from a palm pre......gotta say I love this phone.....yes it is quite a bit different but so far I am happy with the differences. I have found and installed lots of apps.....angry birds of course.....Zedge(love this one).....got the phone setup as I like it so far......I have a question though.....do I have to root my phone to change themes? Is rooting safe.....can I kill the phone?(I actually dont own it- it's my work phone but I can pretty much do as I want as long as I dont break it) I did alot of homebrewing and patches with the pre..I'm guessing that rooting is a bit different? Thanks in advance for the info........
Karl

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome Karl

You can do some minor theme changes without rooting your device. With launchers like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher you can customize your homescreens a bit and change up icons. Otherwise to really get in and actually start changing colors, fonts and get more in depth you do need to root you phone.

All the information regarding rooting your device can be found in the Epic 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks for the Epic 4g. Also you can check my signature and read the FAQ question link I have to answer more of your questions regarding rooting. In case your wondering if you root your phone you can return it to stock form by using what we call Odin to flash it back to complete stock when the time comes you need to turn your phone back into your work and no traces of rooting will be found.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything.

Sent from my Epic 4g....

Last edited:

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Greetings I too had a palm pre before the epic and I also still use it for a couple apps that I haven't found a satisfactory version on android. To me the only real difference between the two on the software side of things is how switching apps in multitasking works and the widgets. Yes there are the little things too but to me that is like the difference between using a mac or windows they both feel the same but only have little differences that make them unique. I found rooting was real easy once I discovered a thing called one click root where I just plugged the epic into the USB on my pc and ran the one click root program and sat back for a few then had a rooted epic.

QMaverick

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Buying an Epic today

OK, so I'm buying an Epic 4G today, and I was hoping that the friendly people here on the Android Central forums could help me out with a few quick things.

I've read up on available ROMS and Kernels, however, the information on the forums is, while very helpful, very general. I'd have to click on each ROM to know what it is (which I am willing to do), but to save me a little bit of time, I was hoping someone could just point me in the right direction.

Here's a list of things I wanna do on my phone tonight:

1.) I want to flash a ROM that gets rid of touchwiz (or at least most of it) and gives me a more stock Android experience...I really don't like touchwiz. Is there a good ROM for this? Cyanogen, maybe?

2.) I definitely want root, and have a method I'm going to try, but is there a particular tactic that works well with the Epic?

3.) This is just a question: are the vehicle mounts at the Sprint store any good?

I think that about covers it! Thanks in advance for the help...and if you're going to tell me to go look through the ROMs myself...umm...please do it nicely? :)

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
1. CM7 is still in alpha, some stuff is not working but I read its pretty nice. There are ROMs that take TW out like SRF, but you can install another launcher like LauncherPro and have the stock look. Only after installing a second launcher, you can uninstall TW after rooting (more on this over here).

2. The root method provided in this site is pretty good and easy to follow, use that.

3. Dunno, sorry.

Reactions: QMaverick

QMaverick

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, I appreciate the fast response.

Actually, I meant to ask about Launcher Pro (it's what I use on my Droid now)--so it runs pretty well on the Epic?

I was going to follow the root method here that gives me ext4 . . . pretty solid route to go?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, I appreciate the fast response.

Actually, I meant to ask about Launcher Pro (it's what I use on my Droid now)--so it runs pretty well on the Epic?

I was going to follow the root method here that gives me ext4 . . . pretty solid route to go?

acs syndicate standard comes preloaded with launcher pro and runs great ;)