Finally got one!

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd been on here asking a boatload of questions (thanks to everyone who contributed) regarding this device. So I ordered one up last Thursday, it arrived late last night. This morning it was all charged up, I went off to AT&T to have a new SIM card provisioned. All I can really is say is...WOW! I hadn't realized how much I missed the Android platform. This phone has thus far been pretty much flawless. I have yet to experience any of the bugs or issues that I've been reading about (thankfully). I know I don't even have a day into this device, but I've been tinkering with it all day long (it's already been put back on the charger TWICE).

So yeah....no more piece of **** iPhone! That monstrosity is going to be put on Craigslist this evening before I hit the sack. Only thing I will miss about the iPhone will be the battery life, but it's all good because I have more chargers than I know what to do with, so I will always have the means of charging it up. Ahhh it's good to be back!

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the family! I've had my Google Galaxy Nexus for about 3 weeks now and have really been enjoying it. I haven't had any issues with battery life. After spending the first week really messing with the phone (which obviously drained the battery), I'm at the point where I'm using the phone as I normally would. The battery easily lasts me through the day. My normal usage includes Twitter, Google Reader, email, and some moderate web browsing using Chrome beta.

I have rooted my phone and flashed several ROMs. I'm currently using Android Revolution HD 4.0.1. It's just like stock, but is supposed to be optimized for battery life and performance. I'm not sure I notice a difference after running it for almost a week.

In regards to ROMs, I have tried AOKP, Apex, Cyanogenmod, Slim ICS, Foxhound, LiquidSmooth, Black Ice, Gummy, and Paranoid Android. Yes, I was addicted to flashing ROMs.

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back, brother! ;)

There's a lot you can do to get the most of your battery life. AOKP, or ROMs based on it, include a tool like Juice Defender that you can use to turn off data when the screen is off or just drop it down to EDGE.

I have to say that my battery life has been much, much better ever since I flashed Franco's latest nightly kernel. I've also had good results with ogdobber's Jame Bond kernel, which specializes in maximizing battery life.

You could also try using a different RIL and baseband. Use the GetRIL app to see which ones you have. If your phone is like mine, it probably came with XXLA2 RIL and baseband, which are meant for Europe. I flashed UGLC1, which is meant for North America, and I've gotten a much stronger signal in many areas.

Try some stuff, see what works, and above all else have fun.

Reactions: halldawg

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Best things I've done for my Gnex: 2000mAh battery, AOKP (build 37), and Franco's kernal. Love this thing!!! (and welcome to the Gnex family!)

Other things to show my Gnex some love? Otterbox commuter and Zagg screenie.

huffphil

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back, brother! ;)

There's a lot you can do to get the most of your battery life. AOKP, or ROMs based on it, include a tool like Juice Defender that you can use to turn off data when the screen is off or just drop it down to EDGE.

I have to say that my battery life has been much, much better ever since I flashed Franco's latest nightly kernel. I've also had good results with ogdobber's Jame Bond kernel, which specializes in maximizing battery life.

You could also try using a different RIL and baseband. Use the GetRIL app to see which ones you have. If your phone is like mine, it probably came with XXLA2 RIL and baseband, which are meant for Europe. I flashed UGLC1, which is meant for North America, and I've gotten a much stronger signal in many areas.

Try some stuff, see what works, and above all else have fun.

I am also new to this phone and loving it. Running the AOKP milestone 5 rom, plus Franco kernel milestone 3.

The only thing I am wondering about is what you mentioned in this post. My baseband is the XXLA2 and I am wondering how much of a difference flashing a UG baseband will make?

I also am wondering about a source to download the latest radio. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! It truly is great to be back on the Android platform. So far I have been nothing short of impressed with this device. My battery life isn't really an issue. While not as good as the iPhone, it's still pretty damn good. I will want to tinker around with the baseband thing you guys are mentioning, but that will wait until I get home from work today.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
signofwelcoming