Finally saying goodbye to the V60

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had my V60 pretty much from release and finally time to move on. The phone still runs excellent with no slowdown, but it was taking a physical toll with the USB port connection getting hit and miss, and the screen looking like it's starting to separate. It's also been plagued by an on again/off again bug where it wouldn't want to make calls after I disconnect WiFi for years, which finally got to the point of interfering with my work. Since LG isn't going to be fixing that (again?) now, it was time.

I now have a Sony Xperia 1 V that i picked up from Amazon Warehouse in used, like new condition for around $900. It's about the only thing that can match LG in the current market, with some extra benefits. The photo and video options are much more advanced, there's a dedicated physical shutter button for photos, both stereo speakers face forward, Dolby Atmos built in (which is also effective through the main speakers), fingerprint reader on the power button (V20 owners rejoice!), battery charges at full speed with compatible chargers with the screen on, higher screen refresh, battery life seems much improved despite being the same size, and can halt charging at 80% or 90% to prolong battery life. The body is also textured on the sides and rear, which feel like hard plastic but I think are actually glass. Feels nice, but i still have a case.

But the downside so far:

The camera module protrudes and cases may not provide much ridge protection. I would like a camera lens protector, but there doesn't seem to be any worth getting. The flashlight is so dim as to be useless. I thought the V60 flashlight was dim compared to others, but this one makes the V60 look bright. It does get much brighter when using as a photo flag, though still not super bright. Wi-Fi calling wasn't available with Verizon despite my account being confirmed as configured for it, but I did find a workaround to enable it. I miss being able to custom order my navigation buttons, but I'll hopefully get use to it. It's also quite narrow compared to the V60, which actually makes media viewing hindered despite the 4k display.

I've only had it a couple of days so far. There were some hiccups getting it all to my liking, but I think I'll stick with it. Not really any other options out there after being spoiled by LG for almost a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We must all say goodbye to a device some day and. Make sacrifices. Personally I wouldn't have gone with Sony but you seem to know what you're looking for based on the V60 and LG being gone.

If you really want to change nav buttons you can ways root.

Flashlight, compare it to others online, maybe someone left it on and burned out the LED.

Cases, well, that's a matter of going thicker and protecting the lenses or thinner and risking it (potentially). If you're putting a case on, might as well be function over form.

Tbe lightsaber aspect ratio is love/hate. I'm sure you'll get used to it. Most I've read to like it in the long run.

Wifi calling, that's Verizon for you, intentionally crippling devices whenever they can.

You can always go with an older Samsung with a Bixby button and remap it to shutter (Jawomo apps, I think thats the devs name).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You went to a Sony device, ewww.
Joking I never had a Sony device but heard the camera is pretty good , probably the next best thing to your LG would have been Samsung especially in the software and feel as they were close over the years.
Congrats hope you enjoy your device.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on your new Sony! It sounds like a great device for listening to music and taking photos. I've never seen a Sony phone, but it sounds like it has great features.

The camera lenses stick out on my Samsung S24 Ultra, but even though I use rather minimalistic cases, I don't have problems with the lenses contacting surfaces. Hopefully, you'll find some nice cases for your new Sony that protect the camera lenses, too.

Good luck with your new phone and enjoy it.

Reactions: mustang7757

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Flashlight, compare it to others online, maybe someone left it on and burned out the LED.

I did some digging online, and this actually just seems to be the way Sony does things. The light is bright enough to use with the camera, but then dims it when used as the flashlight function. Apparently Android 13 added a feature to allow controlling the brightness in the respective API on phones that release with 13 or higher, but Sony didn't implement it for whatever reason. I've seen comments that there is potentially a workaround app for this as well, but still need to read up on it.

Cases, well, that's a matter of going thicker and protecting the lenses or thinner and risking it (potentially). If you're putting a case on, might as well be function over form.

It's not so much the risk of cracking the glass that bothers me, but debris putting scratches in it over time that cause image degradation. Even large ridges don't prevent that. My wife's phone case has an actual sliding lens cover to protect it and can slide open when ready to use. That would be perfect, but I don't think something like that exists for this one.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
probably the next best thing to your LG would have been Samsung especially in the software and feel as they were close over the years.
Congrats hope you enjoy your device.

The rest of the family has Samsung, but I can't stand them. It's mainly because they are the trend setter for many of the changes in smartphones I hate. I.e. AMOLED screens, glass bodies, sealed batteries, and removing things like the SD card slot and headphone jack.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The rest of the family has Samsung, but I can't stand them. It's mainly because they are the trend setter for many of the changes in smartphones I hate. I.e. AMOLED screens, glass bodies, sealed batteries, and removing things like the SD card slot and headphone jack.
I hear you most of them are going that way except Chinese phones, don't know about Sony enough.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I hear you most of them are going that way except Chinese phones, don't know about Sony enough.
True, but it's either Samsung or Apple that actually makes changes go mainstream, even if they aren't technically the first. Sony seems to be the only flagship holdout right now. I have the SD card (side note, the SD/SIM holder has tool free removal), manual photo and video controls without relying on AI for everything, headphone jack, and the front camera doesn't have a notch/hole punch/under screen. It's still AMOLED and a sealed battery, but it's not another cookie cutter phone chasing Samsung.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I loved my V60 until I stupidly carried it with no case. The back was shattered.
However, after a few months, the phone slowly did not work. finally it died.
I missed that phone. The audio and camera were fantastic.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I did some digging online, and this actually just seems to be the way Sony does things. The light is bright enough to use with the camera, but then dims it when used as the flashlight function. Apparently Android 13 added a feature to allow controlling the brightness in the respective API on phones that release with 13 or higher, but Sony didn't implement it for whatever reason. I've seen comments that there is potentially a workaround app for this as well, but still need to read up on it.

It's not so much the risk of cracking the glass that bothers me, but debris putting scratches in it over time that cause image degradation. Even large ridges don't prevent that. My wife's phone case has an actual sliding lens cover to protect it and can slide open when ready to use. That would be perfect, but I don't think something like that exists for this one.
Got ya, well in that case (no pun intended) the slide IMO is not only inconvient but if debris gets caught in there with it closed its got nowhere to go. Open back at least it can fall out.

I can't say and I bet you're going to ruin 2024 by jyxing me, that I've ever had a scratched lens. Those little lens covers ruin pictures and the cases with slides I find annoying. You constantly have to slide it, potentially missing the moment and it will eventually loosen (plastic on plastic) and start to rattle or not stay closed.

Ideal solution if it's that much of a concern, get a belt holster with an open lens area. Beyond that I have no advice

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Got ya, well in that case (no pun intended) the slide IMO is not only inconvient but if debris gets caught in there with it closed its got nowhere to go. Open back at least it can fall out.

With a slide cover, nothing is actually pressing on the lens, so any debris that gets in it wouldn't be getting rubbed around and can be more safely removed. I didn't find any cases with one built in, but this video got me thinking.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
With a slide cover, nothing is actually pressing on the lens, so any debris that gets in it wouldn't be getting rubbed around and can be more safely removed. I didn't find any cases with one built in, but this video got me thinking.

I know what your saying but that's looking at it purely from a rubbing standpoint. I'm talking shaking.

I find (f-knows how it gets there, I don't live near one) sand in my pockets. Not enough to make a line but a pebble or two.

Sand believe it or not which Zach (JRE) doesn't mention in his scratch tests, can and will scratch glass, it can even scratch Sapphire. It's actually the minerals on the sand, not the sand itself. But anyway, you get sand granules or something else with Quartz gets in there, shakes around, it scratches your lens.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I still consider the LG V20 to have the best audio quality of any phone I've ever had.
I had one of those as well. I have a bad memory but I think that was the first phone I did not root.

Loved the V20. I had issues with it getting hot. I had to switch cases often. But that was such a great phone as well. I miss LG

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True, but it's either Samsung or Apple that actually makes changes go mainstream, even if they aren't technically the first. Sony seems to be the only flagship holdout right now. I have the SD card (side note, the SD/SIM holder has tool free removal), manual photo and video controls without relying on AI for everything, headphone jack, and the front camera doesn't have a notch/hole punch/under screen. It's still AMOLED and a sealed battery, but it's not another cookie cutter phone chasing Samsung.
Yeah understand what you're looking for glad u found something close.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mooncat that sony phone looks nice. Just watched a YouTube video on it.
The general consensus is Sony does make really good phones, but they just don't put themselves out there much. I'm not even sure if you can buy them direct from carriers like with other manufacturers. In the dedicated camera world, I shoot Pentax, which is in a similar boat being diamonds in the rough. I wonder what that says about me. Lol
Also keep us updated how well the software/Security updates are in the US
Well I had to run about 6 OTA updates right out of the box and currently on the March security update. One of the OTA's actually took care of an annoyance that was making me irritated with the battery care setting. Originally it would display a persistent notification that I could not swipe away or modify when charging if I had the 80% limit turned on. After processing all the updates I noticed I can now swipe that away since I don't need nor want a constant reminder. That also means I could turn the battery gauge on in settings and uninstall Accubattery. I'd only been using it to alarm when I reach 80%, so that frees up some extra space and resources no longer using it.

I also really like the game enhancement app. It's not marketed as a gaming phone, so this was a nice surprise. Not only can you use it to tune gaming performance, but you can also set it to not charge the battery during gaming. If you have it plugged in, it'll bypass the battery and only power the system, which helps limit heat generation and reduces battery degradation. It has some other nice options, but I like it for that alone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The general consensus is Sony does make really good phones, but they just don't put themselves out there much. I'm not even sure if you can buy them direct from carriers like with other manufacturers. In the dedicated camera world, I shoot Pentax, which is in a similar boat being diamonds in the rough. I wonder what that says about me. LolWell I had to run about 6 OTA updates right out of the box and currently on the March security update. One of the OTA's actually took care of an annoyance that was making me irritated with the battery care setting. Originally it would display a persistent notification that I could not swipe away or modify when charging if I had the 80% limit turned on. After processing all the updates I noticed I can now swipe that away since I don't need nor want a constant reminder. That also means I could turn the battery gauge on in settings and uninstall Accubattery. I'd only been using it to alarm when I reach 80%, so that frees up some extra space and resources no longer using it.

I also really like the game enhancement app. It's not marketed as a gaming phone, so this was a nice surprise. Not only can you use it to tune gaming performance, but you can also set it to not charge the battery during gaming. If you have it plugged in, it'll bypass the battery and only power the system, which helps limit heat generation and reduces battery degradation. It has some other nice options, but I like it for that alone.
So has some cool built in features

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084