fingerprint scanner S22+ not working

lobsta112

Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner has always been terrible. Now it doesn't work at all. This startyed before update to UI 6. I can't even add a new print. It will get to about 67% (after multiple tries) and then say can't register new print. I do not have a screen protector on the phone.
Thanks
Al

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No issues on mine when I had it, so maybe you have a hardware issue (that should have been addressed waaaay before if it's 'always been terrible', but that's besides the point now). Have you tried safe mode and/or the hardware check menu to see if everything is working on the basics? What about trying with someone else's fingerprints (to rule out that any callouses or scars aren't the issue)? What about the environment? Is it too dry where you live? If so, try (and I know, this sounds gross... But it works!) licking your finger before placing it on the sensor. Are you sure you're hitting the right area of the sensor?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I know this might sound silly since you're not using a screen protector, but have you checked to ensure that you don't have touch sensitivity increased for use with a screen protector? Perhaps that might cause the fingerprints to fail to register.

Reactions: mustang7757

lobsta112

Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
When I say it's always been terrible, that is compared to the Motorola fones I had before. At that time I also remember reviewers saying the print scanner was problemitic. I had both thumbs & a forefinger registered. Now, none work. Tried adding the forefinger again & after repeated tries it might get to 67% & then says it can't register the finger.
Going into diagnostics when I try my fingers ,they all fail with the message "action required" .
Thanks
Al

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may need to try a factory reset. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue with the sensor. Is the phone covered by the original warranty or any extended warranty/insurance? If not, then you'd probably have to pay out of pocket to try to get it fixed.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad it's working, but yeah, hope it doesn't happen again! (Only thing I can think of is if weather changed for some reason or if you feel the screen being somewhat loose and thus the sensor not having good contact with it at times? )

BackNine29

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a new screen protector on my S22 that I really like, but my phone won't recognize any attempt to register a fingerprint. No problems with former, lousy protector. Oh well.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
i never liked the fingerprint sensor for my S22 ultra. not only it's not reliable, it never work 100% of the time. sometimes i need to remove and re-do them which is a real pain.