Fingerprint sensor and cases

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a datum point, and not "I heard it somewhere" voodoo.

I guarantee, I could make any V10 FPS work just fine--case or no.

Why don't you prove it's not voodoo? It's been talked about here, Reddit, XDA, that there might be a grounding issue.

I can make mine work with the case but it requires using just my fingertip. I can't rest my finger across the FPS like I can without the case on because my finger is touching the case while it's on the FPS. If my finger isn't touching the case, like when I'm just using my fingertip, the FPS works mostly fine.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you prove it's not voodoo? It's been talked about here, Reddit, XDA, that there might be a grounding issue.

I can make mine work with the case but it requires using just my fingertip. I can't rest my finger across the FPS like I can without the case on because my finger is touching the case while it's on the FPS. If my finger isn't touching the case, like when I'm just using my fingertip, the FPS works mostly fine.

It's being talked about because...it's being talked about. Nothing more. Voodoo reinforcing voodoo.

If the screen is on, then yes, you'll see better results with just the top of your fingertip and not the whole fingertip. You'll also see better results tapping the face of your fingertip on the button instead of placing or sliding it.

If the screen is off, press firmly and hold the power button for a beat or two.

I had less luck when I first got the phone and it had no case, than after I'd had it awhile and had a case on it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
It's being talked about because...it's being talked about. Nothing more. Voodoo reinforcing voodoo.

If the screen is on, then yes, you'll see better results with just the top of your fingertip and not the whole fingertip. You'll also see better results tapping the face of your fingertip on the button instead of placing or sliding it.

I had less luck when I first got the phone and it had no case, than after I'd had it awhile and had a case on it.

The only voodoo is someone claiming they have magic fingers that can make any phone FPS work perfectly.

Where my index finger naturally rests to use the FPS works perfectly with no case. With case on, that doesn't work, even with the same part of my finger touching the FPS. I have to use just my fingertip. The difference is whether my finger is touching the case.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The only voodoo is someone claiming they have magic fingers that can make any phone FPS work perfectly.

Where my index finger naturally rests to use the FPS works perfectly with no case. With case on, that doesn't work, even with the same part of my finger touching the FPS. I have to use just my fingertip. The difference is whether my finger is touching the case.

None of that worked for me at all, ever, with no case.

Regardless, my statement stands: I can make any V10 (not "any phone") FPS work just fine, case or no case.

I bet the FPS simply works differently, and people aren't used to that. Me, I never had a FPS to begin with--so I poked around until I learned how it worked.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I side with Adam on this ... although I understand how is tone in type is a little snide to those who can't get it to work for them as well as he's been able to do it for himself.

Including me, there are four people in my office with the V10, two of them are in our Technical Support team and one is an IT Network guy, then there's the office ***** - and that would be me.

I run a naked phone and they all have cases. It wasn't until they kept re-fingering the set-up using a variety of angles and positions that they got it to work very ... VERY well. I've never had an issue from the start, but then I always set up my fingerprint scanner in a haphazard, twisted-finger kind of way so it'll read my print regardless of the angle I'm presenting.

I hope this read is more helpful and doesn't come across as argumentative.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got a V10 from T-Mobile, programmed my fingerprints and never failed. Put a Spigen case on it and now it doesn't work but once every ten times or so. I reprogrammed with the case on and it took roughly twenty minutes to get two fingers programmed. Still doesn't read much at all. I took the case off, reads every time. Put it on, reads once every ten to twenty times. It's definitely an issue that's caused by a case being on it.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I just got a V10 from T-Mobile, programmed my fingerprints and never failed. Put a Spigen case on it and now it doesn't work but once every ten times or so. I reprogrammed with the case on and it took roughly twenty minutes to get two fingers programmed. Still doesn't read much at all. I took the case off, reads every time. Put it on, reads once every ten to twenty times. It's definitely an issue that's caused by a case being on it.

Which Spigen case?

Jdy1966

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the same finger print issue that others have, I think I found the reason of being that the circuit is broken when scanning. Meaning when case is off your hand touches the stainless steel sides then finger to scanner, with a case on your hand does not touch the stainless steel sides breaking the circuit...just a guess mind you. I tried it with the case off and a cloth between my hand and the phone, the finger print isn't as responsive as with no cast but does still work so the cloth doesn't hinder the circuit as much as the plastic. I wrapped foil across the back coming over sides of case and it works to open in then.

Last edited:

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm not having "luck" with my phone. It Just Works--case or no case.

I bet I would have just as much "luck" with your phone, with your case on it, as I do with mine.

If a carrier is pushing out updates to "fix" this, then it could only be because their carrierware broke it in the first place--and others without their carrierware don't suffer the same problems.

Mine doesn't work either. T-mobile admits the issue, but has no fix.

Last edited:

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Just getting out of a chat session with T-mo tech support. Their only answer is "wait for a carrier update". I'm stunned that they can advertise a feature that literally doesn't work.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site

Sorry but your experience is different from mine. No amount of jiggling/rescanning, etc. has worked with the case on.

phildev74

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T phone went naked for a while and FPS worked like a dream.

Got a speck case and the FPS quit. Went and deleted my print profiles and tried making new ones. Won't even accept input.

Posted via the Android Central App

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Am running the Otterbox Defender with no problems... My phone is on VZW... my understanding is that they sent a update that fixed the issue

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe