Fired up an old out-of-service E4GT, and it wants to upgrade to Lollipop. Should I? Could I?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This phone used to be my wife's daily driver, and unlike my own E4GT, it has never been customized in any way. I tend to hang on to my old smart phones, due to a strong belief in keeping spare wifi-enabled devices around. You can never tell when you might want to use one for something, and there are even phone calling apps that will work as long as you are connected to the internet.

So I fired it up yesterday, which I do periodically just to check on the battery level, and saw a system upgrade prompt to Lollipop. Obviously, I don't need to use this phone on a daily basis, but for various reasons I've been considering upgrading my S5 to Lollipop, and so I hit on the idea that upgrading this old Epic to that version might be a good as a sort of test drive. Today, therefore, I tried to download and run the update, but it errored out and advised me to contact customer service. This was unsurprising, given that the phone is out of service and the OTA upgrade process seems to entail an interruption in the wifi connection.

So I thought of Kies, but found that Kies 3 doesn't work with this model, and installed Kies 2.6 alongside. But Kies 2.6 doesn't seem to offer the Lollipop upgrade.

So here are my questions:
  1. Is my idea of test driving Lollipop on such an old phone even worth considering?
  2. And is there a way I can get around the limitations of the OTA and Kies options, which seem to be almost complementary?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly surprised that the E4GT is getting LP. As for your questions, I don't see why not download and install it. As for the update itself, you can try Odin, but it would depend if the ROM file is available for download.