Firmware Update Froze Phone

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I was on firmware r and last week AT&T sent me a firmware update and it froze the phone. It said firmware update hourglass with two circular arrows around it this is all in black and white with a black background white lettering and the screen message said now waiting for any connection. And I have been having problems with Comcast and my Wi-Fi so I thought maybe it was that. In addition I just couldn't get past that screen no matter what I did pulling the battery, pressing the arrow up key while holding the power on button etc etc

I spoke to two very nice women and they said maybe go to the AT&T store maybe your Wi-Fi has issues. Been exposed to this really arrogant guy from AT&T and he said all you have left is to do a factory reset and I basically said go screw yourself there must be other things to do. So he's as well we have tried everything. So I said to him I'm going to call LG. The ***** from LG from someplace in Asia when's even quicker than anyone else to the factory reset. So I said thanks but no thanks and he said I could also send in the phone for repair. So I said that means factory reset also doesn't it he says yes.

So then I went on to Google put in the information and within 2 seconds I kind of read it and tree or actually a few of them but one of them said that what you got to do is take the battery out wait 15 seconds put it back in and plug the phone in close the back and start the phone. Sure enough I followed what they said to do on Reddit and the message came on that it was updating which happened before but then I saw the two Android robots which I did not see before and I knew everything was okay. And it did both updates that were pushed by the AT&T reps.

So I called back AT&T and made the guy who answered write a letter to management telling them what happened so that if somebody has to do a firmware update all they have to do is keep the phone plugged in to the wall charger. That might also affect the V 30 or the LG 6 or 5. Ironically it's so damned logical that it's just a stopgap put in to ensure them the carrier that the power stays on and nothing gets screwed up inside the phone from half an update. This was a three-hour waste of time

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Firmware (or other major software updates on a laptop or desktop machine!) should NEVER be done if the power can be interrupted during them. There is a severe risk of scrambling the device if that happens, since the unit has zero control over what has been committed and what has not.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not permanently bricked. You can either enter recovery mode and do a factory reset or last resort reflash the firmware through ADB commands. Here's the factory reset instructions, if that doesn't work, you'll have to reflash it.

From T-Mobile:

Master reset with hardware keys

A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloads, ringtones, images, apps, contacts, and Visual Voicemail. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

If the device menus are frozen or unresponsive, you can master reset using hardware keys.

- Back up all data on the internal memory.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons.
- When the LG logo appears, quickly release and then re-hold the Power button while continuing to hold the Volume down button.
- When "Factory data reset" appears, use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to confirm.
- When prompted to "Erase all user data and restore default settings," use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to reset the device.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe