Flawless so far

Nick Menas

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I so miss having a IR blaster, several phones I owned in the past had it..so useful in so many places. I would love having a 3D camera option using the multiple lens setup. Imagine a 3D photo or 3D video on this beautiful oled screen. Jus sayin..

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I truly miss the fingerprint reader of my Note 9 on the back. I would pick up the phone and it would quickly power on and unlock, all in one motion. My Note 20 requires fiddling around just to turn it on and, then requires unlocking. Annoying.
I occasionally did use the pulse rate and oxygen sensor on the Note 9. Those are gone.
The battery life is better, but not by a lot.
The display is very much brighter in direct sunlight.
And of course the camera is better than any phone I have seen.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I truly miss the fingerprint reader of my Note 9 on the back. I would pick up the phone and it would quickly power on and unlock, all in one motion. My Note 20 requires fiddling around just to turn it on and, then requires unlocking. Annoying.
I occasionally did use the pulse rate and oxygen sensor on the Note 9. Those are gone.
The battery life is better, but not by a lot.
The display is very much brighter in direct sunlight.
And of course the camera is better than any phone I have seen.

Just FYI, on the under-screen FPS, even with the screen off, if you just place your finger on the sensor without turning the screen on, it will read the finger and turn the screen on and unlock in one motion. No need to fiddle with turning the screen on.

However, this means that you will have to know where to put your finger.

After getting used to this, I pretty much pick up my phone with my thumb on the screen and on it comes unlocked.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll be coming from a 10+ as well. The battery is just not holding its charge anymore or else I wouldn't be upgrading.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a 10+ too but the battery is still fine. I am curious how much it is to have the battery replaced.

I usually charge mine 2 to 3 times a day. I've been practically using it the same way since I got it so its not like im using it more and impacting battery life.

I'm willing to bet it would cost between $75-$100. I wouldn't get it done though. These phones are designed not to be opened and doing so would certainly compromise some things.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I have a 10+ too but the battery is still fine. I am curious how much it is to have the battery replaced.

I believe somewhere on Samsung pages they provide a list of charges but that maybe for screen replacement.

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can give a price I'm sure

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Well, I'm one that kept both my Note 3 and 4 in service on my lines. They are still till in service but shuffled around to the Note 20 Ultra being on my main line. With this being said I wanted the expandable memory so the other Note 20 wasn't an option.

So far the battery could be a tad bit better but still very good for the size of the phone. I guess I'm used to the 10k mah batteries in the older ones.

Next, please give us a software update to include a simple way of putting ALL user apps sleep at once vs going in individually. I do use the device management tools but there's a few that try and run rogue in the background no matter how much I tune them. I'm finding my RAM usage is a tad high around 5.5-6 mostly due to this vs maybe a 3.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the N20U and kinda glad I waited this long to get a new Note. Well worth the $1300. 😍👍

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm one that kept both my Note 3 and 4 in service on my lines. They are still till in service but shuffled around to the Note 20 Ultra being on my main line. With this being said I wanted the expandable memory so the other Note 20 wasn't an option.

So far the battery could be a tad bit better but still very good for the size of the phone. I guess I'm used to the 10k mah batteries in the older ones.

Next, please give us a software update to include a simple way of putting ALL user apps sleep at once vs going in individually. I do use the device management tools but there's a few that try and run rogue in the background no matter how much I tune them. I'm finding my RAM usage is a tad high around 5.5-6 mostly due to this vs maybe a 3.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the N20U and kinda glad I waited this long to get a new Note. Well worth the $1300.
Great to hear mine is going as strong as ever!! Best device to date for me!!!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I usually charge mine 2 to 3 times a day. I've been practically using it the same way since I got it so its not like im using it more and impacting battery life.

I'm willing to bet it would cost between $75-$100. I wouldn't get it done though. These phones are designed not to be opened and doing so would certainly compromise some things.

It is not just the cost, but the inconvenience. So,I pretty much top mine off all the time. I'm watching TV, it's sitting on the charger next to the recliner. If I'm working at a desk, it's on a charger. If I'm going out for more than an hour or two, I always have an external battery pack with me in the event I'm using the phone intensively. I just refuse to let it run down. It's rare it gets below 85 - 90%.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am getting good 5g speeds this device doesn't disappoint!!!
5771f1ad46fd85476e61ceeb3b00afef.jpg

4G (5Ge) just now in mine. Haven't upgraded my plan yet. Hope its better than my 4G for the extra 5 or $10 I think it's going to cost me to upgrade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-074755_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-074755_Speedtest.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It is not just the cost, but the inconvenience. So,I pretty much top mine off all the time. I'm watching TV, it's sitting on the charger next to the recliner. If I'm working at a desk, it's on a charger. If I'm going out for more than an hour or two, I always have an external battery pack with me in the event I'm using the phone intensively. I just refuse to let it run down. It's rare it gets below 85 - 90%.
You should let your battery almost go dead every once and a while it will help the battery keep it life.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
4G (5Ge) just now in mine. Haven't upgraded my plan yet. Hope its better than my 4G for the extra 5 or $10 I think it's going to cost me to upgrade.

Interesting... I just learned/saw AT&T is installing these mini towers outside my developement. Never seen mini towers before... are these 5G?? :confused:

Hmm... may be worth upgrading now if it can get me faster speeds.

Attachments

• 130Capture.JPG
    130Capture.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 17

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Over the years, I have heard differing advice on that. Do you have anything current with modern batteries?

I've read it's better to let a battery charge to 100% than to let it die to 0. So personally I don't let a battery go to zero.

I remember in the Note 8 forum, there were some that had an issue that they let their new Note 8 drain to 0 and couldn't get it to charge. Definitely not normal because you should be able to fully discharge a battery (especially a new phone) and it will charge when plugged. But bad batteries happen. I think some people came up with a fix of putting it on a wireless charger and at the same time plugging into charger and were able to kick start it. But I personally couldn't trust a battery like that if I'm out and get stuck and phone dies and can't charge it back up when I get the chance.

That being said... on the flip side... I recently heard MKBHD say in his Porsche Taycan video I believe... that Porsche designed the battery to never charge to a "real" 100% to maximize the battery life.

So if Porsche has done their homework on EV tech for their Taycan and do that... maybe there is something to not charging fully??

And with that being said, I am in the 30/80% club... around 30% at it's low, charge to 80% and that usually gets me 24 hours before I plug it back in at 30%. Ymmv but that gets me through a work day with emails, text, Teams chat and some BSing on the web and YouTube. When I'm traveling say Florida to California, then I have no issues with fully charging to get me through the day.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've read it's better to let a battery charge to 100% than to let it die to 0. So personally I don't let a battery go to zero.

I remember in the Note 8 forum, there were some that had an issue that they let their new Note 8 drain to 0 and couldn't get it to charge. Definitely not normal because you should be able to fully discharge a battery (especially a new phone) and it will charge when plugged. But bad batteries happen. I think some people came up with a fix of putting it on a wireless charger and at the same time plugging into charger and were able to kick start it. But I personally couldn't trust a battery like that if I'm out and get stuck and phone dies and can't charge it back up when I get the chance.

That being said... on the flip side... I recently heard MKBHD say in his Porsche Taycan video I believe... that Porsche designed the battery to never charge to a "real" 100% to maximize the battery life.

So if Porsche has done their homework on EV tech for their Taycan and do that... maybe there is something to not charging fully??

And with that being said, I am in the 30/80% club... around 30% at it's low, charge to 80% and that usually gets me 24 hours before I plug it back in at 30%. Ymmv but that gets me through a work day with emails, text, Teams chat and some BSing on the web and YouTube. When I'm traveling say Florida to California, then I have no issues with fully charging to get me through the day.
On Teslas one of the main reasons they don't charge to 100% is the regenerative braking doesn't kick in with a full charge.

Last edited:

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
... I am in the 30/80% club... around 30% at it's low, charge to 80% and that usually gets me 24 hours before I plug it back in at 30%. Ymmv but that gets me through a work day with emails, text, Teams chat and some BSing on the web and YouTube. When I'm traveling say Florida to California, then I have no issues with fully charging to get me through the day.

I had a Lenovo laptop for awhile that had a battery managment utility that allow you to set the thresholds for when it would begin and end charging.

It was an option that I thought made sense. I am surprised it isn't something more widely adopted. I like the 40/90% to 30/80% range as well.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
*reading glasses on, I hope I'm not answering the wrong thread*
I got the Ultra 3 weeks ago and I've been humbled.
Back when I had the Note 3, it really felt like you needed a degree in computer science to get it. But not anymore. The so called intuitive, user friendliness of Apple? The past few updates did away with that.
Today it seems Android and Samsung are finally Evilguppy friendly.
I got all my ducks in a row, Google account synced with everything and ooh la la, this is fun!
I'm rediscovering Chrome and I like it.
Now my phone feels more like an all terrain high speed vehicle than a glorified piece of toast, this is cool!
Also, minute little detail but the emojis are way cooler too.
my battery life is downright tantric and I'm on this thing all day! And the stylus is a ton of fun too. So far this is the nec plus ultra of smartphones, they went over every detail.
... Huh, I'm hope I wasn't answering a cooking thread this time 🤣

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a Lenovo laptop for awhile that had a battery managment utility that allow you to set the thresholds for when it would begin and end charging.

It was an option that I thought made sense. I am surprised it isn't something more widely adopted. I like the 40/90% to 30/80% range as well.

Mine also has an option for people who run mostly on plug, like me, to limit charging to 80%. I use that. THere's no feature on "when to begin charging," though. It is just on 80% all the time if plugged in.

However, that's not a realistic strategy for a phone considering how phones work. There seems to be some clear indication that letting it run down to 80% and KEEPING it there is a good idea if it is on plug a lot (actually, my phone is on a long cable a lot more than most phones while using it), but I have no easy way to do that on a phone. There's no "stop at 80" feature. (Nor am I entirely certain that the battery issue on my 5-year old laptop is identical to the brand new one on the 20 Ultra, but that's another story.)

If I have to pick a poison, on the whole, I'd rather keep topping it off than keep running it down to various low levels that I won't be able to control as I can on the plugged-in laptop. Maybe once in awhile it needs more exercise? A thought I've heard before, but the battery only has so many cycles in it. If that exercise is useful, it's something I'd want to do rarely.

As a practical matter, there's another important difference with my laptop: if I go out and pick the phone up, it needs to be ready, not needing a charge. So, whatever the answer is in theory, there is also this practical issue.

Of course, all this could be moot if they just brought back removable batteries. :)

Last edited: