Flirted with Droid Turbo, sticking with the Maxx

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My Maxx for some time has had an issue with terrible audio noise and distortion during video recording. I finally decided to do something about it so I checked out the Droid Turbo. There is an early Edge promotion which would allow me to upgrade, although not be eligible for the $100 trade-in promotion

I really wanted to like the Turbo enough to make the switch, but I couldn't. The screen is a little larger, the screen is a little better, the phone is somewhat faster with a few new software features. It's a very nice phone. I imagine once they do some software updates the camera will be vastly better. But it wasn't the huge upgrade from the HTC Rezound (a highly underrated phone though) to the Droid Maxx.

The Turbo didn't knock my socks off, and I didn't want to waste an upgrade, even an early one on it. Now I'll get a refurbished Maxx that hopefully won't have any issues. In ten months I can sell it, and get the 2015 Droid Quantum or whatever silly name they give it. If the new/old Maxx gives me trouble, I guess I can revisit the Turbo sooner.

But I hope Lenotorola continues the tradition of Motorola making solid phones with the added twist of actually good cameras.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep, same here. My Maxx is fine, and, as great a phone as the Turbo is, it's not worth spending $600 to get if I still have a Maxx that's working just fine. I don't even need to try one.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For the gains I would get by buying a turbo the cost was not worth it. The Maxx is 90% of what the Turbo is.

JMHO

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I also went to verizon yesterday to check out the Turbo. It definitely has a much better display than the Maxx, but it didn't seem to be any faster, imo. Also my 4G speed was slightly better on my Maxx (-95 dB vs -98 dB). I didn't buy the Turbo, but I'm still thinking about it. I like my Maxx alot and may just wait until 2015.

I did find out what the problem was with the 4G at my work. I knew all along it wasn't the phone. The lady at verizon said the problem is the signal is bad in this area because there are so many people in this area trying to use it that it just gets overloaded. That explains why I have a stronger signal at 6AM then at Noon. You would think in a big city the signal would be great, but who would think it would get overloaded? I guess that's why they want to get people off the unlimited data plan.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep, same here. My Maxx is fine, and, as great a phone as the Turbo is, it's not worth spending $600 to get if I still have a Maxx that's working just fine. I don't even need to try one.
This.

I was totally onboard the Turbo train on launch day but then I realized my MAXX really is, as another commenter said, 90% of the Turbo. And just wait for Lollipop...

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I started a thread on the turbo forum called Turbo vs Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

I have to honestly say, I like the size and feel of the Maxx. It is a tad bit smaller and not quite as "slippery" as the ballistic Turbo. I had the Turbo for three days and I think I am going to stick with my Maxx -

The battery is essentially the same
The higher screen resolution is a non-issue - I am not into games or movies on my phone
+ The camera is much better on the Turbo
+ Yes the Turbo has some massive power but do I need that for phone calls and email
+ Turbo charge is cool but I never have run out of power on the Maxx

- The lack of colored email notifications is a major drawback
- Totally dislike the the stock gmail app, the motoemail app on the Maxx was perfect for multiple exchange accounts
- The larger size is a drawback
- I liked how the Maxx always landed on the center screen, the Turbo goes to the screen all the way to the left.
- VoLTE issues
- Microsoft Office does not work on this device (I did not try to side load)

This is a tough call, Dont get me wrong the Turbo is shweet...but not enough here to warrant the move or expense, those who have the Maxx already have a massively powerful/great phone - I will wait for the next greatest device

RivertonPaul

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I will wait for the next update as well. Hopefully Motorola will include optical image stabilization by then.

Posted via Android Central App

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My refurb Maxx replacement has significantly better battery life so far. So that's good. Now just stay strong for another ten months...:)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol I just posted a thread too, Cest LA Vie :)

If you have the upgrade, its worth it IMHO, if not, yes I agree stay with the Maxx. I'm sure there will be a quick Turbo2 once it goes multi-carrier and perhaps have better design choices?

Posted via the Android Central App

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife purchased the Droid Turbo. It lacks the hardware to do voice and internet at same time. Verizon's answer is that it will get VoLTE be the end of the year so it will do both. In my area I often have plenty of LTE signal but still no internet. Good thing we are still within the 14 day grace period.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I currently own the older Droid RAZR MAXX, not to be confused with the Droid MAXX. I'm ready to upgrade and was pretty much set on the new Turbo, until I started reading about the Droid MAXX. I really like what I've read about that unit. Is Verizon still making them or are they all refurbished? His about the ability to still get the Droid MAXX in 32-gb?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I currently own the older Droid RAZR MAXX, not to be confused with the Droid MAXX. I'm ready to upgrade and was pretty much set on the new Turbo, until I started reading about the Droid MAXX. I really like what I've read about that unit. Is Verizon still making them or are they all refurbished? His about the ability to still get the Droid MAXX in 32-gb?

They are still selling them new, but only 16 Gb models.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

You might want to check out Swappa.com and see what they have. Currently there's a 32 GB Maxx that's supposed to be in "mint" condition for $260.

Prices seem to fluctuate and surprisingly it seems that the prices for some used phones are higher now than they were before Christmas.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I am getting a Moto X Pure, but will keep my Maxx as a backup. The lollipop debacle has soured me on Verizon so I'm looking forward to direct updates and the ability for the phone to work on any carrier. I'm more concerned with the battery life of the Pure than its size. I will have to embrace turbocharging I guess.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I am loving the Moto X Pure so far! But I probably won't love the battery life. We will see.

I'm thinking of buying a Moto X Pure and would love to hear your thoughts on the phone coming from a Droid Maxx.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone is barely small enough for me to use one handed. I'm surprised by how good it feels. Big camera and screen upgrades. But I hope one of the bigger improvements will be faster updates without Verizon meddling. The battery life doesn't compare, but it's not a disaster and turbo charging gets you more battery life quickly. Very happy to have sd card support and the ability to use it with any carrier if I choose. Moto enhancements are better than ever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20