Fold does not sleep when an app is left running on the screen

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's an app/game is run that if I leave it open on the screen, the Fold does not go to sleep and then I noticed later (15, 20 or 30 minutes) the screen is still on the the unit is warm. I've looked and I don't see any settings to tweak. Is there some way to gain control over the app so that it allows the Pixel fold to sleep or go idle?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Assuming your app doesn't have "Turn screen on" granted (check: Settings > Apps > Special app access), you can force the screen off after a time period of your choosing when using the app, with MacroDroid or Tasker.

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming your app doesn't have "Turn screen on" granted (check: Settings > Apps > Special app access), you can force the screen off after a time period of your choosing when using the app, with MacroDroid or Tasker.
I might check them out. I think I recently UNinstalled Tasker since I thought it might be the reason my inner screen remained dark when I opened it and tapped repeatedly. I have since found out, that was a Beta BUG!

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I might check them out. I think I recently UNinstalled Tasker since I thought it might be the reason my inner screen remained dark when I opened it and tapped repeatedly. I have since found out, that was a Beta BUG!
I just tested on the app.. now are you saying the phone is not going to sleep when you hit pause while you're playing the game? If you are in the middle of the game the screen will stay on If you don't hit pause because I assume it's counting time of play as the game is still going on..

Reactions: J Dubbs

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I also see this under permissions.
1b96471e73708bea872b09b9ff7344bf.jpg

Reactions: J Dubbs

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just tested on the app.. now are you saying the phone is not going to sleep when you hit pause while you're playing the game? If you are in the middle of the game the screen will stay on If you don't hit pause because I assume it's counting time of play as the game is still going on..
If I start a new game but do NOT play. But leave it on the screen and go about my business (very important!!!!) the Fold does not go to sleep.

In the actual permissions, that does not show up. It says NO Permissions requested.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
If I start a new game but do NOT play. But leave it on the screen and go about my business (very important!!!!) the Fold does not go to sleep.

In the actual permissions, that does not show up. It says NO Permissions requested.
If you start a new game but do not play do you notice the timer running on the game ? If so it will not sleep till you hit pause ...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There's an app/game is run that if I leave it open on the screen, the Fold does not go to sleep and then I noticed later (15, 20 or 30 minutes) the screen is still on the the unit is warm. I've looked and I don't see any settings to tweak. Is there some way to gain control over the app so that it allows the Pixel fold to sleep or go idle?

Thanks in advance.
Your in beta version of Android?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you start a new game but do not play do you notice the timer running on the game ? If so it will not sleep till you hit pause ...
The TIMER does not run until you make the first move. That's usually the state I leave it in. I win/lose and then generally start a new game but that's where I occasionally fall down. I usually swipe the game away and see my home screen. But occasionally the ol' gray matter forgets to swipe it away and leave it open on my screen. That is when the Fold fails to fall asleep. If you move to another app, the timer automatically stops. (yes, @mustang7757 I'm on the Beta until I can dump it)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The TIMER does not run until you make the first move. That's usually the state I leave it in. I win/lose and then generally start a new game but that's where I occasionally fall down. I usually swipe the game away and see my home screen. But occasionally the ol' gray matter forgets to swipe it away and leave it open on my screen. That is when the Fold fails to fall asleep. If you move to another app, the timer automatically stops. (yes, @mustang7757 I'm on the Beta until I can dump it)
I wonder if there is anything to do with that?

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Yup it's the same as if you've made the first move ..it's on play mode screen stays on till you swipe away or pause

Reactions: FF22 and J Dubbs

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, all, for confirming. I did add a review mentioning this behavior.

By the way, since Word ZigZag (addictive for years since first discovering it on my Blackberry Tablet) no longer works on the Fold I need some new games.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
My friend today is the day you can opt out and not take the update...
e6cf8d22f94c1ce2e03572ebbd1aee0a.jpg

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HELP! :eek:

Not so FINE PRINT:

"You are about to remove this device from the Android 14 QPR2 Beta Program. If your device is running a beta version of Android, it will be sent an OTA update that will wipe all data on the device and install the latest stable public version of Android. If you choose not to install the update to the latest public version, and your device remains unenrolled from the program, you will automatically receive the next stable release update of the version you’re beta testing when it becomes available to the public. It may take up to 3-4 months to receive the update depending on when during the Beta program cycle you opted out. If you apply the final public release of the Beta version you are testing, your device will not get wiped."

I think this means I can opt out of the Beta and THEN OPT OUT of the current release and then sit on my hands and cross my fingers and knock on wood and be OKAY??? So basically refuse what they send me soon which leads to a wipe and wait and wait.

Of course, the refusal of an update to 14 while I was in Greece is what started this. I did not want to risk a long update while outside of country relying on my phone. So refused that update. Then 14 was never offered again and I could not get it. Google suggested wiping and trying again. Someone else suggested opting into the Beta which got me Android 14.

I have that TAB open and ready to hit OPT OUT......

As long as I know what will happen....

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
HELP! :eek:

Not so FINE PRINT:

"You are about to remove this device from the Android 14 QPR2 Beta Program. If your device is running a beta version of Android, it will be sent an OTA update that will wipe all data on the device and install the latest stable public version of Android. If you choose not to install the update to the latest public version, and your device remains unenrolled from the program, you will automatically receive the next stable release update of the version you’re beta testing when it becomes available to the public. It may take up to 3-4 months to receive the update depending on when during the Beta program cycle you opted out. If you apply the final public release of the Beta version you are testing, your device will not get wiped."

I think this means I can opt out of the Beta and THEN OPT OUT of the current release and then sit on my hands and cross my fingers and knock on wood and be OKAY???

Opt out and don't take the beta ..wait till March stable monthly release ...I did the same thing ...we are on APR11 so no moving up to the next beta which I believe is APR22
027932f159e5dea31ffd419a31db0aee.jpg

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OUT I AM!

So, again, if they offer me anything in the next few weeks, beta or stable, do not take it until March?

I will await your ORDERS in March saying all is okay to update and NOT wipe! ;)

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
You won't see a stable sent our way till March...this is the beta build
AP21.240119.009 which is AP21 to correct my previous statement..so yup no beta and once we see the stable we good