For old Storm user that switched to the Droid

Richa13er

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do not use the plug in AC charger on the Droid. It could damage your Driods GPS. It happens on two droid in a row on me until I figured it out. Best mobile loves me right now. The USB computer cable is fine. On those two droid the GPS will try to connect but will not. The GPS icon will just sit there and flash.

Rich

Last edited:

TitaniumMan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Its the same voltage and amperage in both units for charging devices. It does not hurt it..

Been using my for over a week now, no problems..

If that was the case it would over power your battery and kill that not your gps chip within the unit. You just got a lemon.

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Actually, there might be something to this. I used my storm charger at first, too, but then I notice that while it was plugged in, the screen was acting weird. Typing would cause double taps of letters, and erratic things were happening.

I don't understand why this would be, but I tried the included charger (and it's short cable!) and it does not have such a problem.

My GPS is still working fine though.

Richa13er

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
two duds with the exact same problem that no one esle is having and they both worked before plugging them it. Maybe but very Improbable. It could be just a bad charger. The amps are different but not in the way I thought they would be. Storm charger uses less amps.
Storm is 5V 700mA
Droid is 5.1V 850mA

Oh well. I won't be using it again. Take it as you would like. Just try to help you all avoid the issue I ran into.

Thanks
Rich

R

Roy Aguilera

two duds with the exact same problem that no one esle is having and they both worked before plugging them it. Maybe but very Improbable. It could be just a bad charger. The amps are different but not in the way I thought they would be. Storm charger uses less amps.
Storm is 5V 700mA
Droid is 5.1V 850mA

Oh well. I won't be using it again. Take it as you would like. Just try to help you all avoid the issue I ran into.

Thanks
Rich

I have also used it for a minute cause the Droid one is too short. No issues. I don't use my phone while it charges though. That may be the difference.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Storm is 5V 700mA
Droid is 5.1V 850mA

Thanks
Rich

I am using it right now actually, and primarily because of the short cable that comes with the Droid charger. Nothing weird so far. But hey, thanks a lot for the heads up!

Richa13er

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OK all, I'm taking it back. It happened again without using the Storm charger. GPS was able to see the satelites this morning on the way in to work. When I went to lunch nothing besides Cell tower location. On the phone with Verizon now. The rep states that Motorola is in the building advising them of updates they are planning on putting VERY SOON. Like before December 11th. My issue is not a know issue though. Anyone have any thoughts?

robry

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
the idea with the micro USB is to make it universal, usb is 5v @ 500ma. Motorola just made their charger 850ma to charge the battery faster. If you plug in the USB cable to your PC, it charges it at a slower rate, since USB port is only rated at 500ma. The phone will only take what it needs current wise. Everyone is going to use micro usb and the 'same' style charger but may just different current rates. It'll all work the same.

to Rich13er, did you check your settings and make sure 'my location' was turned on? maybe it just isn't getting a solid GPS lock, are you near tall buildings where you work?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if you work in an area with a lot of tall buildings, getting a GPS lock will be harder to achieve. if it's working consistently somewhere where you have a more clear view of the sky, i'd just say it's a location based issue (no pun intended)

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
With all the talk about short cords for the Droid Charger, I have gotten around this by using a USB extension cable. Been using it for a week ad I have plenty of cord now.

jlye834

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sold everything that came with my storm and tour. Didn't want to co-mingle my techs.

Sorry to be off topic but it reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer wants to put his laundry in with Jerry's:

"But I don't your boys mingling with my boys!" - Jerry
"But have your boys met my boys?" - Kramer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod