For those using Lux

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I only did the quick setup and selected for it to adjust dynamically. I don't think I even touched any other setting. I'm not one that wants to stare at a super bright screen all the time. I think Lux does a great job. I have no doubt it plays a big part in saving battery.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I set mine to only check at wake up (I think that's the default). I know many others like to set it to dynamic but I don't really move around with the phone on, so there is really no need to keep adjusting brightness after screen turned on. I don't know if it is saving battery but it works really really well for auto adjust. I manually pick the brightness I want and after a day or 2, I don't need to adjust it anymore. I like it so much that I pay for the paid version. The only thing is that after you get the paid version, the free version settings did not get transfer to the paid one. So I had to set up my brightness all over again for the next day or 2.

Hellybob

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend and say I uninstalled it after a few weeks as I didn't think it made that much difference. I had the paid version.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend and say I uninstalled it after a few weeks as I didn't think it made that much difference. I had the paid version.

I've installed and Uninstalled it about three times. I want to like it but the auto brightness that comes with the phone has been fine for me. But I'll try adjusting dynamically

Posted via the Android Central App

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the stock auto brightness for me is when it was in complete darkness, it would only set it to 14% even if I push the slide the scale all the way to the right. It is just a little dark for me and I read a lot in complete darkness. Right now I have Lux set to 20%. Most of the default Lux brightness settings are all too bright for me. That's why I have adjust them.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Haven't bought the paid version yet, but I probably will. The stock auto brightness is horrible at keeping a nice constant level. I'm hearing Lux's does a great job. If so, I'll pick it up. RIght now I'm just manually doing it, since I don't have the paid one.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Neither the stock or Lux (lite) have been very satisfactory in my experience. Right now, the auto-brightness is the only thing I truly miss about my previous phones. I now generally set things manually; I generally keep the brightness around 25-30% during indoors use. For some videos, I will ramp it up as necessary. That being said, in direct sunlight, this screen is far better than my GS4 was.

I certainly hope a software update remedies this bright regulator, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker in what is overall the best phone I've had yet.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Screen brightness is definitely something I don't think we should have to rely on a 3rd party app to manage. I suppose our opinions of what is too bright and too dark vary just like they do with anything else, but this is the first phone I've had where I've been involved in discussions about the brightness itself (instead of just to save battery generally).

That said, I find Lux to be much, much better than I did the G4's Auto setting. It was ridiculously dark for me. FYI, I'd just let Auto handle things on my Turbo previously.

Since it seems most of you mentioned not setting up the readings, maybe that's something worth doing. I just walked around to brighter areas indoors and went in to shade and direct sun outdoors, right after I installed and adjusted the settings it gave to my tastes. The app is supposed to learn as it goes, if I'm not mistaken, so setting those baselines should help it adjust in between those points better. I was able to slide down to lower settings on every defualt brightness level it gave.

Last edited:

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you use Lux, you will need to use the "Link" button to help it learns your settings. If you see a brightness you want to change, change it to the one you like, and hit the "Link" button. That way it will remember that setting for that brightness. The more samples you Link, the better it will work for you. You can also do View Links to see what you have set and edit them.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't Lux say that if you "link" too much it can make it work harder and increase the battery drain?

I don't know, but as you can see in my screenshot above, I have a total of 6 stored links. After that I don't have to adjust anymore. I believe the app will try to use those scale to fit in any new reading.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Paid for the app last night. It certainly does a better job at keeping the screen brighter then the stock auto. I'm getting older and I need my screen brighter. So far the stock Dynamically is working perfectly for me. Thanks for the app suggestion!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lux is a god-sent for those who use their phones in bed without much light.

I found that many phones are just way too damn bright in low-light for reading without eye-strain (looking at you, Galaxy S6, iPhone 6 and LG G4). Lux is a big help for that.

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The only setting I changed is the maximum brightness value. Haven't spent enough time with it yet to understand the other settings

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnathan319