Formatting 1TB Toshiba canvio

Peterbae

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased this Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 and new this forum, I was wondering what i need to do so my tablet will be able to read this 1TB Toshiba canvio hard drive. I read that you need to format the HD to fat32. But it said that file limit for fat32 is 4gb. I read that exfat basically has a very high file limit. Will this tablet read the hard drive if it is formatted to Exfat. Which is better, Fat32 or Exfat? Sorry I'm a newb to all this stuff

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased this Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 and new this forum, I was wondering what i need to do so my tablet will be able to read this 1TB Toshiba canvio hard drive. I read that you need to format the HD to fat32. But it said that file limit for fat32 is 4gb. I read that exfat basically has a very high file limit. Will this tablet read the hard drive if it is formatted to Exfat. Which is better, Fat32 or Exfat? Sorry I'm a newb to all this stuff

I don't know the answer but a little experimenting should get you the answer, possibly with a bit of time wasted. As a new device maybe it does support exfat over usb-to-go.

Or if I can overocme laziness brought on by a mountain hike in the snow....

Well, my Tab S 10.5 just read the 64gig sd card that was formatted in my Blackberry Z10 just yesterday as exFAT. But it is not a terabyte drive.

Peterbae

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Also the reason why I was asking because I do not have access to a computer so my friend has to format it for me so I have to tell him what to format it to. Looks like I'll be formatting in exfat

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also the reason why I was asking because I do not have access to a computer so my friend has to format it for me so I have to tell him what to format it to. Looks like I'll be formatting in exfat

Good luck with the results. I know what I forgot to ask - do you have files that exceed the 4gig limit imposed by fat32? I guess you do since you asked.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Why not format it in NTFS? That's worked for USB OTG for all of the devices I've tried.

DeeBoy21

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 64gb SDXC card that I've tried to use in NTFS and FAT32 and neither work in the tablet, forces the "My Files" app to crash every time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scrap