Fragile screen = Insurance?

Jace

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone thinking of getting one of the insurance plans? I've never gotten one before for my phone, as cases have always worked great, but my Thunderbolt cracked in case a few weeks ago.

Is there a good insurance plan that's worth it?

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Before you buy insurance, I suggest you put deductible (could be over $100) into consideration before you make your final decision.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Insurance is a ripoff. 6.99*24 + 100=267 dollars to replace one phone. It won't be long before you can just buy them used on craigslist for 300 bucks if you need. It only makes financial sense if you break multiple phones.
It'll probably end up costing 100 bucks to replace the screen anyway, so you're better off doing it yourself.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the TEC with Asurion for 6.99/month and while I've never had to use the insurance part of the coverage, I have used the extended warranty. It's just a lot less hassle plus peace of mind. Might be able to save a few dollars by self-insuring under certain circumstances but then again could come out a lot ahead as well. Just the nature of insurance.

Jace

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well if all the plans cost $170 to $270+ after deductible to fix the most common problem (cracked screen) that costs less than $170, it really makes no sense to get it..

Necronius

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Assurion covers everything. If it only covered cracked screens it would be one thing. My brother had a phone fall into some machinery at work that snapped it in half. Hard plastic case and all. $100 deductable and 24 hours later and he had a replacement in hand. Someone else i know had one slip out of a pocket into the snow (unbeknownst to him) and ran it over with a snowblower. blew it into several pieces. Same story.

and as for the argument that they can be had on craigslist cheaper, you never know what you're going to get on craigs list. At least a referb, while it may not be brand new, usually it at least looks and functions like new.

IMO it's more than worth it. Anything can happen when you're carting around an $600 piece of tech.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You can get refurbished from actual companies on your own. The only time insurance is worth it is for about the first 2 months of ownership and only if the phone is unrepairable. After that its less cost efficient by far. Screen replacement costs less then that deductable. And since most people actively try their best not to destroy their phone, it only makes sense for a small fraction of the population.

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a question on the insurance Verizon offered during pre-order of the S3. It had a 5.18 option and a 6.99 option. Both were with Asurion but the 6.99 also included extended warranty. I had the 6.99 on my current phone but was unaware of the second option. Can someone explain the difference and recommend one versus the other?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There should be 3 options. One that's only ~$1.99 which is just an extended warranty which gives you an additional year of coverage on top of the normal 1 year from the manufacturer that covers manufacturer's defect with no deductible. The $5.18 is their wireless protection plan which covers physical damage and if it's lost/stolen with a $99 deductive. The $6.99 Total Equipment Protection includes both the extended warranty and wireless protection

Reactions: DianeR

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Now I know why they replaced my droid for free when it was almost two years old :) Guess I need to bump up my insurance. But now I'm afraid of adjusting my pre-ordered because I ordered at 7am on Wed! I think I can change the insurance within the first 30 days, right? But is that the first 30 days once I get it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jermz1084