Free Phone Friday October 8th

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Here are the phones that Best Buy are offering for the Free Phone Friday deal.

Verizon Wireless - LG Ally sku 9933392
Sprint - Samsung Intercept Grey sku 1067902 and Pink 1067939
AT&T - Pantech Pursuit Green sku 9924349 and Blue sku 1048943
TMobile - Samsung Gravity T sku 9976292

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. I do know that you cant return it and get the one next week if you like it better. Only for new contracts (i.e. new lines, upgrades, new 2 years)

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Im not waiting anymore. I missed the Fascinate. Hoping for a Droid phone this week. Said forget it and I am going in tomorrow to get a Fascinate.

splitgrey

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Got mine at BB on the first.

Got mine at BB on the first. They told me that there is still a 30 return policy. Also, mine was an upgrade(not a new contract). He also said they dont know what the phones will be until Thursday morning.

skipper2

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
True, they announce the phones at 1:00PM Central time every Thursday on the Best Buy Mobile Facebook page and the BBM Twitter page.

Bellztoll

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
LG Ally... really? I thought these we're supposed to be good phones. Guess I will be waiting until next week.

Well, having had an Ally for a whole two days, my PERSONAL opinion is this: If its free, then maybe it would be worth it.
I will give my personal account and leave it up to ya'll
Got it in on a wed, activated it, and by thurs it was back on its way to Verizon.
Now, it would be a good phone for anyone getting into the droid world for the first time, from a non-smartphone. Having upgraded from an LG Voyager, it was a decent phone; decent not great.
The cons
-Laggy, although a root would have probably been able to correct this if the right lag fixes were available. But i wouldnt expect too much , as its only a 600mhz processor.
-The phone would make random phone calls while i was on a call; sometimes to the same person that i would be on the phone with.
-The slide that reveals the keyboard started to get a little loose after only 2 days. How bad would it be in 30 days, 1 year??
-Camera only 3 megapixels. While that may have been okay 2 years ago, with similar priced phones having 5+, 3 seems like they could have done better.

Pros:
-Beautiful screen, would be good for movies, games etc. (Didnt get a chance to expierence that however, so i am not sure)
-Actual keyboard; while the slide mechanism was ehh, the keyboard itself was awesome. Firm keys, easy to get to even with big fingers.
-GPS locked in ALOT faster than the Galaxy S phones.
-Google, google, google. Need I say more? No bing to deal with

All in all, it was a good phone for the money.(wifes line was up for new at 2 , and it was free for her, plus BOGO for mine) But when my wife was going to get rid of hers, Verizon told me that mine would cost 149.00, and with her able to get the facinate for 99.00, BOGO, we went that direction.
I dont see it as a viable option for anyone that has any other option. There are plenty of phones out there that are 10x better that cost a little bit more.
If you are reading these forums, you are already more techo-savvy than , again IN MY OPINION, than LG's target audience on this phone.
But hey, alot of people Love the Ally, so i would at least try it out, and see if it fits you; it didnt fit me, but it doesnt mean it wont fit you.

Sorry, LG, I have been a loyal customer for years, from TV's, Bluerays, washing machines, etc. , but i think you could have put a little more R&D into this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leeuchytil