From Droid to Sense.. CAR MODE?

Mad Jack

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The only way I found to activate car panel without it being in the dock is to use Google to search for the file on your phone. Once it finds it you can activate it from the search window.

DROIDFREAK

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The only way I found to activate car panel without it being in the dock is to use Google to search for the file on your phone. Once it finds it you can activate it from the search window.

That is so stupid. The incredible had the car app in the app drawer, and it wouldn't go into landscape......Now this? wish they would get it right.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
had issues with the car dock today myself. First time I used it. Placed TB in dock(securely) and nothing. Just charging. I thought oh well and just entered the address I wanted to navigate to manually in Google Maps. Everything was working fine until right in the middle of the navigation trip, Car Home decides to activate. Caused all kinds of issues. Navigation sound muted, then navigation failed. Then GPS froze and I had to reboot the device. After I reached my destination, before I started back, I downloaded Car Home Beta from the market(third party app). This time I entered that app first, and then chose navigation and then chose my destination. All worked fantastic from there. The built in Car Home app never activated. When I root someday I might just be removing the built in Car Home app. They should have left out the "auto sync" with Car Home thing, and just left it at charging only and let us decide if we want to use Car Home or not(or third party app). That way there are less opportunities for buggy behavior. My Nexus One car dock likes to do this kind of wonky crap because of the syncing with car home and bluetooth syncing.

rjpear

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah..never got the HTC Car app to launch as of yet... I wait..and the phone goes to sleep.. or I have to launch a third pary Car Dash App.. Not sure what I am doing wrong.. Does it operate on the Magnet principal that the Droid does?

tundraguy808

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for figuring out that the TB had to be seated in the dock with a click. I was driving around for 3 days without the screen rotating. Now that I push it down and hear the click, my screen rotates. Only problem is that it's now difficult to remove the phone from the dock with one hand :-/ I miss my Droid X.

Reactions: spazma7ik

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded a couple different car mode apps, and they work really well. If you want to be able to activate car mode without plugging it into the verizon car dock with a cable, then you'll probably have to download one of these. They are always available in the Apps folder once downloaded. I settled on an App called "car home" for my solution.

rjpear

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah.. a REAL CLICK!.. Ok.. I was sitting it in the Dock and clamping it down..and charging..thinking that would do it.. But you gotta Grab the right side of that and really Clamp down on it..and you will feel that CLICK... then it offered the option of all my Different Car Dock Apps... Great..

Getting it out of the Dock was another thing..almost had to take off the Mount to get to it.. Grr..

tcidragon

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Easy Fix

I found the Car Panel after I loaded Circle Launcher (I have no affiliation with the app or developer). When I was setting up a widget I found it listed under the available apps. Free and easy. I use a Clingo mount since the stock car dock was not available in my store yet. I just slap it up, plug it in and tap the Cirle Launch icon and I'm in car mode.

Hope this helps as a work around for you all.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I actually bought the car dock when i bought the TB (day 1) at opening. I actually stopped back at the store on my lunch hour to tell them the car dock didn't work because i couldn't get my TB to "seat" correctly and i was afraid to really push it in.
The manager of the store actually worked with it for a few minutes before he got it to fit in. Then he showed me how to get it in the dock easier. I have to make sure i sit my TB with the top of the phone first then press down on the side with the charger. Then it clicks in (actual clicking sound) and then the car dock app opens. I am really loving it. It still takes 2 hands to get it out of the dock, but getting easier every time i use it.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
i had the same experience as other folks. i eventually figured out that you had to press firmly on the right side to get it to "snap-in" before the car panel came up.
say, does anyone know of a nice app that will enable/disable when the phone is inserted into the car dock? i had such an app on my OG Droid, but it isn't working reliably on my TB. (it was called dockcarswitches)

prosodical

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Alright everybody! I stumbled on this by accident i thought everyone would like to know that you CAN turn on car mode withOUT the dock. Go to voice dialer and say "open car mode" on the HTC thunderbolt and there it is! Its called car panel. Enjoy!

prosodical

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I found another loophole to get to car mode! There's a folder app you can download foe free called application folder by j.h. jeong. After you install the app and create a folder to use it will give the option of putting carmode into your folder as an option and there it is for u to easily access at any time.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Changing launchers will also give you access to the Car Dock app without having to dock it.. it will be in your app drawer. I don't use the car dock but I do use a car mount for the phone and have it set with my Bluetooth to automatically launch the Car Dock app whenever my Bluetooth in my car pairs with the phone... its a setting within the app. Works real nice.. get in my car.. turn on Bluetooth and the Car Dock app automatically launches.

Reactions: ChromeJob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332