From Thunderbolt to Droid 3

xxtsxx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
well its official that the thunderbolt doesnt float. I lost mine to a lake yesterday but i just got the droid 3 today, and i love it. the keyboard is amazing and i like the feel of it. The lack of 4g is very disappointing but i can live with it, also i wish it had sense but whatever. basically i just wanted to tell you guys that if your looking for a nice replacement then you should look at the droid 3. also the screen only uses about 30% of the battery instead of the 50-60 of the tbolt.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've often thought it must be nice to be rich enough to throw my thunderbolt in the ocean when data drops out.

Last edited:

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I got the Droid3 when it came out, and I agree, great phone. I couldn't get used to the smaller screen. I went back to my Thunderbolt.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
He dropped his phone in a lake... in other words, he has no bloody phone. So he should just wait until the Bionic's released, huh?

Lmao!

I honestly would. I'm sure you could find a cheap replacement phone until the bionic comes out i mean its only till next week. I'm just saying the bionic is pretty much a 4g droid 3 without the keyboard.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...the bionic is pretty much a 4g droid 3 without the keyboard.
No one knows that yet. But I would hope not. If the D3 is any indication, dual core doesn't really help. From my experience, the single core TBolt is noticiceably faster than the D3 dual core.

-Frank

xxtsxx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I got it mainly for the keyboard so the bionic wouldn't work. And I dropp ed it accidently not on purpose haha. Id say that it feels about the same performance wise eventhough I had my tbolt overclocked to 1.4ghz. Also the battery like is amazing I have had 4 hours off the charger and an hour of the screen being on and its still just under 80% oh ya the screen is 11% of the battery usage

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
No one knows that yet. But I would hope not. If the D3 is any indication, dual core doesn't really help. From my experience, the single core TBolt is noticiceably faster than the D3 dual core.

-Frank

Agreed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Love my TBolt but my wife insists on physical keyboard. We just ordered her a Droid3 today and should get it next week. She's retiring her BB Bold. She tried it out in a Verizon store today and she was quite happy with the keyboard, display and size so who am I to argue. Wish it was LTE but other than that it seems like a decent piece of hardware. Guess I'll be hanging out in here and the Droid3 Forums now. At least I've been on Android long enough now to help her configure it and suggest some decent apps for her.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
well its official that the thunderbolt doesnt float. I lost mine to a lake yesterday but i just got the droid 3 today, and i love it. the keyboard is amazing and i like the feel of it. The lack of 4g is very disappointing but i can live with it, also i wish it had sense but whatever. basically i just wanted to tell you guys that if your looking for a nice replacement then you should look at the droid 3. also the screen only uses about 30% of the battery instead of the 50-60 of the tbolt.

Thanks, but no thanks. I hate "keyboards" on phones, they are soooo tiny it should be illegal to call them keyboards....they are keybumps.

Slider phones are only slightly worse than non-sliders with keybumps.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My sister and brother-in-law both got D3's recently. It's a pretty nice device, my sis actually had me set hers up for her, so I got to play around with it quite a bit.

Frankly, after using it for a while, I came to the conclusion that I really do like the Thunderbolt better...and that's without even taking 4G into consideration.

I found the UI kinda...I don't know...dark and dreary? A lot of folks bash Sense, but I really like it, especially compared to the UI moto is using at the moment (not sure if it has a name or not). May have also just been the screen itself, but the UI was not helping. The overall "speed" of the device was pretty snappy, but it really didn't seem noticeably faster than my TBolt. My sis was happy with the keyboard, but frankly, i doubt I'd ever use it -- the larger form factor did make it better than the keyboard on the original droid however, I will admit that.

As far as I know right now, there is also no way to root the D3, or at least unlock the bootloader...which pretty much eliminates it from my list of own-able devices as well.

Again, just my take. I was actually rather impressed with it, and my sis is really happy with it (she had been stuck using an old BB 8330 for a few months waiting for her upgrade to become available) but in the end, I still liked the Thunderbolt much better.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You know... you have 14 days to return the phone and get the bionic if you really miss 4G. You just have to pay a $35 restocking fee.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I am officially getting a droid 3 as a replacement coming tomorrow. I am actually sad to see my TB go :':)':)':)'(. I however did not have to use an upgrade and have one now to use for whenever and can guarantee you I will see yall in the vigor forums because I have gained much respect for HTC despite the issues lol.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I honestly would. I'm sure you could find a cheap replacement phone until the bionic comes out i mean its only till next week. I'm just saying the bionic is pretty much a 4g droid 3 without the keyboard.

Now that it has been out for awhile there are many people not pleased with it. I love my TB

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Keep phones away from water. Period. Not even in the bathroom. Better safe than water damage and a ruined device for life! Can try white rice but best bet: keep out of the water

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk