G2x Rom Recommendations

chaos16r

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi G2x Community,

I am a noob here and have owned the G2x for about three weeks now running GB 2.3.3. The phone works pretty good, but I am thinking about getting more out of the phone.

I have been trying to do some research on rooting the phone with a custom ROM but I am having a hard time choosing one.

Here is what I am looking for:

- I like to keep the phone stock, because I like the GB feel
- What to get rid of bloatware, and the typical T-Mobile stuff
- Something more stable and better performing

Now with these criteria, is there any custom ROM that you could recommend me getting?

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Run over to xda-developers and see what they've got. Several to choose from and almost all of them have a list of included features and mods.

As far as getting rid of bloatware, flash clockwork mod using nvflash, flash the stock rooted GB ROM and you should be able to get rid of most of it yourself.

As far as custom ROMs go, they range from FROYO up to GB 2.3.5 or 2.3.6. Most of them are based on CM7.

Mine is stock, rooted GB, and I'm very happy with it for now.

chaos16r

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I went onto XDA Developers site and decided to root stock GB. I downloaded TI and deleted some of the preinstalled software (EA Games, Car Home, Telenav, Tegra Zone, Polaris Office, My Account/My Device, Zinio, Nova, NFSpeed).

I read that some people just freeze the programs, but I was too in a rush to get them uninstalled. Are there any other programs that are safe to remove?

Also downloaded Busybox. Are there any other must have apps to download?

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, must haves for one person aren't necessarily must haves for another. That said, I like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Rom Manager, Adfree. Battery Calibration can be a useful tool if you start having issues with the battery.

Those are the ones that require superuser permissions off the top of my head.

Car Home can be useful if you use Google maps for navigation. T-Mobile TV is one that should be able to go away without issue

BenSWoodruff

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Weapon G2x right now. Only one I've tried (other than stock rooted GB) that doesn't have the wifi issue where wifi turns off every time the screen is off for more than five seconds lol.

It is not as customizable as CM based ROMs like Eaglesblood or Trigger, but it works well enough, is well rounded, and it's pretty stable.

Only issue I've had is that touch tones come on after reboot.

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Bionix2 is my fall back ROM, but since the OTA GB release, my phone hasn't had any of the issue that froyo was plauged with.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haroonseo