Galaxy Note 10.1: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually what samsung said was they would update "select carrier variants" of the galaxy note 10.1. Well they did. Ours just didn't get "selected". On top of that the gt n8013 is wifi only and not a carrier variant. So time to give up hope I'd say. You will
feel much better. Just update to gnabo rom in xda. It is better than samsungs update anyway.

Sent from my SM-T320

gldnbear

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife had been getting frustrated with her Note 10.1. She had difficulty printing and could not create Office documents easily. I was to the point I was going to have to install a new rom or buy a new tablet.

I installed the gnabo rom, and a copy of Microsoft Office. She has been completely satisfied. She has had no issues. She can probably get another two years out of her tablet. I would highly recommend this.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Can someone help me with the gnabo rom? I can't even get my note 10 rooted, Odin seems to do nothing but restart my note.

Posted via the Android Central App

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Can someone help me with the gnabo rom? I can't even get my note 10 rooted, Odin seems to do nothing but restart my note.

Posted via the Android Central App

No need to root first.

MAKE SURE YOU USE FILES AND DIRECTIONS FOR YOUR EXACT DEVICE!
Go to the about tablet page in Setting on your tablet and look for you model number. mine is a GT-N8013

The first thing you need to do is install a custom recovery.
Here is a link with detailed instructions.
[05.11.2014]CWM 6.0.5.1 - PhilZ Touch 6.59.0… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Next use the custom recovery to install the rom.
[ROM][N8000][N8013][N8010][4.4.2] Gnabo Rom … | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 | XDA Forums

If you have never done this sort of thing before it can seem extremely complicated. In truth it is just a few steps when you get right down to it. The catch is, all those steps need to be done exactly right in exactly the right order. I would recommend you read every post on both of the threads I linked above. It will become more clear to you as you read all the questions and answers posted. Watch a few YouTube videos on installing a custom rom to visually see what it is all about.

You might fail the first few times but keep trying. Just be very careful to follow each step exactly. It is possible to break your tablet forever but in most cases even if you have a problem it can be saved. Good Luck.

Last edited:

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Well completely out of the blue I have has just received an OTA 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade on my N8020. ( Australia )

I had given up hope of ever receiving this security upgrade, so I am very pleased. Maybe there is still hope for other variants as well; all note 10.1" users should receive this security upgrade IMO.

Last edited:

Jay Gore

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Oz123 can I ask a question? What have they added in the factory update? Does air command work? I have a note3 on 4.4.4 and I was just asking because I like the way it's set up and I'd like to find out if the update is similar or if I should flash the gnabo rom.

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Oz123 can I ask a question? What have they added in the factory update? Does air command work? I have a note3 on 4.4.4 and I was just asking because I like the way it's set up and I'd like to find out if the update is similar or if I should flash the gnabo rom.

This update is mainly for security, there is no Air Command, nor changes to Snote; Gnabo rom would be a much better choice.

https://community.rapid7.com/commun...ides-patches-for-webview-jelly-bean-and-prior

Last edited: