Galaxy Note 10.1: screen shattered in "soft" drop

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ugh ugh ugh I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. Just not right or what you should expect from a company like Samsung :-(

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
ugh ugh ugh I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. Just not right or what you should expect from a company like Samsung :-(

Well, my opinion of Samsung was originally quite low due to the fact we bought an extremely large and expensive big screen Samsung DLP TV in 2004 (our first Samsung purchase). We had absolutely nothing but trouble with it. Thank heavens we bought it from Sam's Club and purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase. Which is something we normally don't do. Luckily for us it really paid off. We had at least 8 service calls in the first two years and finally ended up getting a different TV altogether.

I've had a few Google tablets and have been very happy with them. They are made by Asus. I was actually planning to buy a new Google Nexus 10 last fall, because there were rumors that a new version was going to come out at the end of 2013. Well, that didn't happen.

Therefore, despite my reservations about the Samsung brand, I decided to try the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition - due to the great online reviews for performance and specifications.

When I initially received the note 10.1 on December 8th, 2013, I was so happy with it that I immediately went out and purchased the coordinating Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone, to replace my Motorola Droid Maxx.

I'm very happy with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone. But I do have it inside of an otterbox. I haven't dropped it yet, but that could happen since I do take it to the gym with me every day.

So at this point, and considering both the problems that I've had with the Samsung Note 10.1 and the poor customer service provided in connection with my repairs, my opinion of the Samsung brand is mixed!

Posted via Android Central App

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you have said 100%. Especially their really poor customer service and tech support. So far my tablet had been fine, but sadly because of your experience I am super extra, to the point of paranoia, careful with it.

Jim603

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain, I did the exact same thing to my brand new Galaxy 2014 tablet .
the cost for just the glass is 249.00 from Samsung and you still have to replace it yourself.

I am going to purchase the IPAD Air instead of getting another Samsung.
I can see that they make money on the parts but that is half the value of the unit .
:(

the unit still works great just needs new glass.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
They sent me a repair ticket and I shipped it to them last night. I did not have time to call customer service today. You can only speak with a live person by phone between normal business hours, M-F. Anyhow, I was in school all day during regular business hours and did not have time to call them. Of course it being the weekend, no one will be available to speak with me tomorrow or the next day. And the "live chat" feature on the Samsung website is someone in another country just reading screen prompts. I tried using the live chat feature twice and both times the person I was chatting with told me to call customer service during normal business hours, Monday through Friday (after wasting my time getting a lot of preliminary information). I will try to call on Monday if my schedule permits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Curious, did you ever get this mess resolved? DOA repaired tablet, missing s pen?

Jim603

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Some times you need to take the loss and learn a lesson.
I had shards of glass on my fingers , I did not notice the cracks right away , and mine was in a leather case.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Curious, did you ever get this mess resolved? DOA repaired tablet, missing s pen?

It sure has been a colossal mess. I finally received the tablet back from Samsung (for the second time) on Thursday. I had no contact from Samsung whatsoever and the "Samsung Cares" app never updated the status of my repair ticket. I finally called customer service on Tuesday to inquire about the status of my repair. The customer service representative could only tell me that the tablet was on its way back to me. I asked what repairs had been performed. He was unable to give me any description of the repairs performed, or the diagnosis of the problem. He was only able to provide me with a tracking number for the UPS (returning the "repaired" tablet to me). I found this very odd. Samsung did not acknowledge receipt of my damaged tablet, did not tell me what was done to fix the problem, and when I received the box, there was no paperwork included whatsoever. I find that strange.

Now I've had the "repaired" tablet for 2 full days. I have noticed two things. First, the screen randomly and inconsistently changes brightness. I prefer not to use the auto-dimming feature. I prefer to manage my screen brightness manually. Nonetheless, the screen randomly changes brightness. And it does so regardless of whether I'm using apps on the device or browsing the web. There is no rhyme or reason. For example, this morning, I was reading articles on the New York Times app and suddenly the screen started to dim, then a few minutes later, it got brighter. Very odd.

Second, the little pen icon that appears in the upper left hand corner when the s-pen is detached remains on constantly (regardless of whether the s-pen is, in fact, detached). I don't know if this is because they replaced the s-pen, after losing the original when I sent a tablet in for the first round of repairs. But that really doesn't make sense to me, because obviously you can purchase replacement s-pens. I presume that one s-pen should be the same as another provided that it is the correct pen for the device.

In conclusion, I remain extremely dissatisfied with the Samsung customer experience, as well as this particular tablet. I believe that I received a defective device from the get go. I hope that eventually Samsung will realize that this device has inherent defects, many of them, and send me a brand new tablet. As it stands now, I've got to go through the whole rigmarole of filling out another repair ticket and sending it in and waiting another 2 weeks for Samsung to do anything. At this point in time, this tablet has spent more time with Samsung than it has with me. And I've got $799 invested in it, plus countless hours of my time wasted dealing with these problems!

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
:-( That is so very disappointing, maddening even. I've found Samsung's whole customer service , whether technical or otherwise extremely poor. Which is very sad, as in the past I have liked their products, but at this point I don't think I would be very prone to buy from Samsung again.

I'm so sorry you had to be caught in this web of crap, which does seem like a defective unit from the get go.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
:-( That is so very disappointing, maddening even. I've found Samsung's whole customer service , whether technical or otherwise extremely poor. Which is very sad, as in the past I have liked their products, but at this point I don't think I would be very prone to buy from Samsung again.

I'm so sorry you had to be caught in this web of crap, which does seem like a defective unit from the get go.

What's really maddening is that I could have purchased three Acer chromebooks for the money that I have invested in this fragile tablet. I'm now using my Chromebook daily for school. It takes a beating, boots in 7 seconds, battery life is approximately 10 hours, recharges quickly, and it has a touch screen - perfect for my needs.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I am going to purchase the IPAD Air instead of getting another Samsung.
I can see that they make money on the parts but that is half the value of the unit .
:(

the unit still works great just needs new glass.

I don't blame you for not purchasing another Samsung tablet. But for me, I cannot deal with the Apple operating system. I'm never been an Apple or Mac fan. I prefer the Android operating system and Windows-based computers. But to each their own, and as I said, I certainly don't blame you for not replacing that Samsung tablet with another Samsung product!

Also FYI, if you send your tablet back to the Samsung repair center in Plano, Texas, they will put in new glass for $199, free shipping. The turnaround time is 2 to 3 weeks..

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't blame you for not purchasing another Samsung tablet. But for me, I cannot deal with the Apple operating system. I'm never been an Apple or Mac fan. I prefer the Android operating system and Windows-based computers. But to each their own, and as I said, I certainly don't blame you for not replacing that Samsung tablet with another Samsung product!

Also FYI, if you send your tablet back to the Samsung repair center in Plano, Texas, they will put in new glass for $199, free shipping. The turnaround time is 2 to 3 weeks..

Ya I'm with ya on not being able to deal with IOS. I'll stay with Android, but with other choices of manufacturers, another thing the ever closed apple cannot offer

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry the OP had to go through all this. From reading all this, it seems like a lot of bad things happening all at once..Also, not getting the best customer service, and also not having the time to pursue it, or really getting on Samsung's back to fix this right..

If this had happened to me, I would have been on that phone with Samsung, and most likely they wouldn't do it under warranty, but I would be asking for it big time. That means not taking a "no" from the and ordinary agent. I would have had to been told "no" by at least 3 supervisors. .Through the length of my years, I have found out that lower representatives don't have the power. You always have to go up to the supervisors, and even their supervisors. After the first mistake when then send it back, I would have been on that phone and raised so much h8ll, that they might have sent me a new one to shut me up!! :D

I said all this as to say, don't let some bad apples at Samsung turn you away from good products. I am rocking a Note 3, Note 2014, Galaxy Gear, and two big pretty Samsung 50 inch Flat Screen TVs in my bedroom.. All items work like clockwork. However, I am real parinoid. Nobody handles my Note 3, and Note 2014.. You can look, but no touchee or handle.. Sorry.

Back to the customer service, I have been told no, no no, by many a customer service, just to go up the chain of command, and get a complete reversal and 200% satisfaction. I would not settle for the dimming unless you have auto dimming on and that was doing it. Also, the fault with the S pen, don't settle for that. Get on the phone, asked to speak to supervisor, tell them exactly what is going on..

In the meantime, luck to you and hope it works out.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, cehowardNote3. I'm encouraged by your response. I will find time this week to raise hell with customer service. I should not have these problems considering the $$ involved here.

What's really amazing to me is that Samsung contacted me by phone the day after I received my tablet back (twice) to conduct a "customer service survey." I'm like, seriously? You guys can't let me know when you received my $500 tablet, the status of my repair, or what you did to fix it, but you DO have time and ability to phone me AT HOME to ask "how'd we do?" Gimme a break.

PS I have a Note 3 phone, in an otterbox case. I'm extremely happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If this had happened to me, I would have been on that phone with Samsung, and most likely they wouldn't do it under warranty, but I would be asking for it big time. That means not taking a "no" from the and ordinary agent. I would have had to been told "no" by at least 3 supervisors. .Through the length of my years, I have found out that lower representatives don't have the power. You always have to go up to the supervisors, and even their supervisors. After the first mistake when then send it back, I would have been on that phone and raised so much h8ll, that they might have sent me a new one to shut me up!! :D

Back to the customer service, I have been told no, no no, by many a customer service, just to go up the chain of command, and get a complete reversal and 200% satisfaction. I would not settle for the dimming unless you have auto dimming on and that was doing it. Also, the fault with the S pen, don't settle for that. Get on the phone, asked to speak to supervisor, tell them exactly what is going on..

Good Grief! We must be long lost twins! <lol> I read this and thought "I don't remember writing this" :D And it seems like lower tier cs agents are trained more and more to say no, knowing that most people will stop right there. All I expect from a company is to do the right thing, do what they say they'll do and deliver the product they advertise. It's pretty much a full time job to make sure they deliver and I understand people not having time and energy to do that. The older I get, the easier it is to say "oh forget it". Also, I've found companies HATE to have the BBB on their case. I've used them 4 times to get what was rightly owed to me and every time the company bent over backwards to get a positive resolution to the problem. My latest complaint was against iRobot for OFFERING to replace my Mint/Braava robot floor cleaner with a BRAND NEW unit. The replacement unit I was sent was trashed on the outside...it was remanufactured. After a week of lies and my phone calls not being returned, I wrote corporate and BBB a letter but before sending it, tried one more time to get a supervisor's supervisor to do the right thing. She would not commit. Fired off the emails and the next day the corporate office called. Instead of sending just a new robot unit, they sent a whole new boxed retail kit and told me to keep the refurb.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, we are the "long post twins". :D

Short story. I had two items that I got from Walmart. I had them for a while, but they were brand new and never open. I took one back they gave me some static, but they gave me credit. The only reason I didn't take both back at the same time was because I couldn't find the other one. A week later I found the other one.

When I took this one back, the clerk said no, her supervisor said "no", and her super visor said no too. I sent a letter to corp hq, and I called, they told me somebody would contact within two working days. Long story short, the corp exec, told me to go back to the same store, and those same supervisors will give a credit for double the amount of the item, and I don't have to return the item. That was pure joy. The look on the supervisor's face, when I told them who told me to get this and if they any problem to contact the corp ceo. Just an example like yours of what can happen, mainly if you right, and you go up the chain of command.

Lost post twin signing off.. :D

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
@cehowardNote3

I am the EXACT same way. I leave NO stone unturned when it comes to customer service "services". I too would have been on that phone day and night, moving up the ladder of powers. I do understand tho, that I have a lot of time on my hands, and some may not have that kinda time to allocate to wasting hours on a phone to get satisfaction. I have gotten great satisfaction for issues, and financial enhancements from Sprint, Amazon (by the way IMO the BEST customer service on the planet), Walmart, and others by my somewhat annoying at times percerverance. It should NOT have to be like that in a perfect world, but we are far from that world..

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
@cehowardNote3

I am the EXACT same way. I leave NO stone unturned when it comes to customer service "services". I too would have been on that phone day and night, moving up the ladder of powers. I do understand tho, that I have a lot of time on my hands, and some may not have that kinda time to allocate to wasting hours on a phone to get satisfaction. I have gotten great satisfaction for issues, and financial enhancements from Sprint, Amazon (by the way IMO the BEST customer service on the planet), Walmart, and others by my somewhat annoying at times percerverance. It should NOT have to be like that in a perfect world, but we are far from that world..

I think that I need to hire you to deal with Samsung for me - the customer service department is only open 9-5 M-F, and between going to school, running my business, and family stuff, I don't have much free time during those hours! :-(

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Update. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a customer service representative from Samsung. She made me check all of the settings on my tablet, even though I already informed her that I had checked all of the settings regarding the s-pen and the screen brightness.

Then, after this waste of 45 minutes, she informed me that both of these problems could be related to software, not hardware. So she told me that I had to perform a COMPLETE factory reset. Oh great. Also told me not to backup any of my settings or data as that would possibly cause of the software problem to be reinstalled. Oh great again.

Knowing how long that was going to take, she gave me a repair ticket number and hung up. So I've gone ahead and completed the factory reset. The problems (malfunctioning s-pen detection and random screen dimming) have not changed, at all.

So now I will have to go online, complete the repair ticket process, get a shipping label and send it back to Samsung. Probably take another few weeks to return it to me. So I'm just wasted approximately another two hours of my time that I really don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Also get this, the woman on the phone told me that I would not be eligible to have this tablet replaced with a new tablet until I have returned it to Samsung 3 times! And she said that my first repair wouldn't count because it was due to "my abuse" of the tablet!

It's official, as much as I hate to say this: I totally hate my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Gabe Pena

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Any updates on the tablet now? Did they fix the issues regarding the S pen icon and the random dimming? Did they refund you any money becaue of their screw ups? Hope its working like it should. I'm loving mine but issues like the ones you posted always leave a sour taste in my mouth.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Further update and apologies in advance for the length of this message!

Since I last posted on 2/20, I have had nothing but further trouble with the tablet and Samsung customer service . . . I actually started a journal to keep track of all my contacts with Samsung and I'm taking photos of everything! The tablet, the problems, the damaged packaging, the missing accessories, etc. I'm turning into a paranoid nut, but with $700 plus untold hours of my time invested, I'm determined to see it through.

I returned it for the 3rd time for the reasons described above. Took several phone calls over several days to even get Samsung to send me shipping label #3. I did take photos of everything and had uploaded the evidence to the Samsung Repair website. I was switched over to "Samsung Executive Customer Service" who were all over themselves with apologies. Everyone that I talked to would give me their name, Samsung ID #, ext. # with "special" 885 number to call them back if "any further problems". Well, as I learned, it was nothing but more talk and no action. I'd call those numbers and the ext. number was non-existent. The badge numbers were useless. All I would get was profuse apologies and platitudes from whoever was on the other end of the phone.

After a week of numerous calls (and unanswered emails, useless online "chat" sessions), I finally received a shipping label. Packed it up again and returned to Samsung. After 2 weeks and hearing NOTHING, I tried to phone and email the Plano, TX repair center, no answer and no response. I tried calling the various customer service 800 and 855 numbers, no luck. All they could tell me was that my tablet "had been received" in Plano. Another week goes by, still nothing from Samsung. By now, I am on a rampage, calling them every day even though I honestly don't have time for any of this! I never did get any answer from anyone at Samsung as to: 1. what is the latest diagnosis? 2. what are you going to do about it? 3. when will you send it back (or send me a new one)?

Fully one month after shipping it to Samsung for the 3rd time, it arrived back on my doorstep. No paperwork in the box. No description of what was fixed (there were two issues - the S-Pen Detector failure and the screen dimming). I unpack the unit and turn it on . . . it powered up for approx 30 seconds. I was checking it out to try to see if the problems had been fixed, when the screen goes totally black. The lights were still working, and if you took a screen shot, you could hear the *snap* of the camera, but the screen was gone.

At this point, I'm about to have a stroke, because I know that it's going to take me numerous calls through dreaded flipping customer anti-service to get any recourse. Nonetheless, I persevered and photographed everything, uploaded all info to the Samsung Repair website and got another service ticket number along with an email stating that I'd be contacted w/in 24 hours. Of course, no one contacts me, so I start calling (again) the next day, and the day after that, and so on. Every representative that I spoke with was all full of apologies and empty promises that they would send me a shipping label. I swear these people are professional apologists. Finally, about one week later, I'm able to get through to a representative who tells me that yes, I'm eligible to get my tablet replaced with a new tablet. Great, right?? Um, no. She tells me that I have to send in my defective tablet before they'll replace it. I said, fine - no problem, I've already got it packed and ready to go, please send me a shipping label and I'll take it to UPS right now. Ok, she says. Fast fwd several more days . . . no email, no shipping label, and of course now I'm calling more than once every day (and honestly, I really do not have time for any of this!)

On April 9, four days ago and 2 weeks after I had first been promised that I would get a new, replacement tablet, I get an email stating the following:

We would like to inform you that you have been approved for an exchange of your original model, SM-P6000ZWYXAR and we would like to offer SM-P6000ZWYXAR which is currently available as a replacement. Please respond to this offer by April/14/2014. If a response is not received by this date, the offer will be void.

A prepaid UPS E-label will be provided to the email address on file upon approval of this offer. Please return the defective unit in a sturdy box for shipping or refer to the attachment for more detailed packaging instructions.

This exchange is currently setup for standard processing which requires the receipt of the defective unit at Samsung before the replacement product will be shipped out to the address on file.

We would like to offer an ADVANCE EXCHANGE option which allows the replacement product to be shipped out first from Samsung with a provided financial guarantee. This option requires a credit card number be provided and a hold amount of $ 552.00 to be placed on the account to verify the funds. Please contact me if you would like to proceed with this option to finalize the process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Nancy Vargas
Samsung Electronics of America
Hanul Corporation
18511 Broadwick St.
Rancho Dominguez CA 90220
Phone: 310-669-4239
Email: bw-cc39@hanulcorp.net

I'm like WTF??? Seriously??? Where is my shipping label!!!! So of course, it's a whole 'nother round of ring-around-the-rosy with these people before finally I received a shipping label by email. Along with the following statement (today, four days later):

Thank you for provide acceptance to the offer, a UPS label has been sent to you in a separate email, please print out the UPS label to return defective unit to our main facility, once the unit arrive to Samsung facility, an exchange order will be submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with more information regarding when to expect your new device.

Thank you for your understanding that we have to follow procedures.

I swear that I'm not a violent person but this company has driven me to the brink of insanity . . . and the irony of the situation is that I originally purchased the tablet on 12/8/2013 to use at school for the spring semester. Well, this semester will be over in just 17 days and I still won't have a functioning tablet! (Thank goodness for the little Acer Chromebook that I bought to replace the tablet, recommended by a poster on this board, and I love it! It works great, it boots in 7 seconds, battery lasts approx 10 hrs, and satisfies my requirements at school . . . it even has a touch screen. Nice and sturdy! Only $299!)

FWIW, we're all still happy with our Samsung phones (Note 3 and Galaxy S4) but I wish to heaven that I'd never heard about the Note 10.1 2014 edition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex-1999