Galaxy Note 4: Got Force-Fed a Lollipop by Rogers in Canada

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
After reading of the various issues that (lolli)popped up with the Android 5.0 update on the Note 4, I had decided I'd wait for the 5.1 update before converting my Note 4 from Kit-Kat to Lollipop. I'm on the Rogers LTE network up here in Canada.

Well, interestingly, yesterday (as I was about to leave work), I pick up my phone, and it tells me that it has downloaded an update, which was the Lollipop 5.0.1 update, and was asking me to approve of it. Instead of pressing "OK" (the only option given), I hit the "back" capacitive button, but despite not hitting OK, the phone initiated its boot and update sequence, without my approval. Seems like I really had no choice!

Other than the phone getting hot during the update and the few minutes of down time during the update, I have so far noticed no "problems" yet. Fingers crossed. WIFI appears to work as previously, battery life seems to drip down at a similar rate as before (based on what I can tell from the last 18 hours...) and nothing yet has jumped to the fore indicating any major issues. I hope things continue to work without bugs.

So far, I'd say Lollipop doesn't make a huge difference. The notifications are different, the colors of the interface for the Messaging (two different shades of radioactive orange), Contacts (sickly pale aqua green) and Phone (same sickly aqua green) apps are eye sores, and the phone appears to be maybe a small touch zippier in operation. I'll reserve judgment on the rest and again cross my fingers that no issues creep up, since I was pretty satisfied with the way my phone worked previously.

Perhaps fellow Canadians want to use this thread to keep the community abreast of how things unfold with the update up here?

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I think what this tells you is don't believe everything that Americans post on here. (At least what they post doesn't necessarily apply worldwide) Lollipop update largely uneventful on this side of the Atlantic.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
After reading of the various issues that (lolli)popped up with the Android 5.0 update on the Note 4, I had decided I'd wait for the 5.1 update before converting my Note 4 from Kit-Kat to Lollipop. I'm on the Rogers LTE network up here in Canada.

Well, interestingly, yesterday (as I was about to leave work), I pick up my phone, and it tells me that it has downloaded an update, which was the Lollipop 5.0.1 update, and was asking me to approve of it. Instead of pressing "OK" (the only option given), I hit the "back" capacitive button, but despite not hitting OK, the phone initiated its boot and update sequence, without my approval. Seems like I really had no choice!

Other than the phone getting hot during the update and the few minutes of down time during the update, I have so far noticed no "problems" yet. Fingers crossed. WIFI appears to work as previously, battery life seems to drip down at a similar rate as before (based on what I can tell from the last 18 hours...) and nothing yet has jumped to the fore indicating any major issues. I hope things continue to work without bugs.

So far, I'd say Lollipop doesn't make a huge difference. The notifications are different, the colors of the interface for the Messaging (two different shades of radioactive orange), Contacts (sickly pale aqua green) and Phone (same sickly aqua green) apps are eye sores, and the phone appears to be maybe a small touch zippier in operation. I'll reserve judgment on the rest and again cross my fingers that no issues creep up, since I was pretty satisfied with the way my phone worked previously.

Perhaps fellow Canadians want to use this thread to keep the community abreast of how things unfold with the update up here?

I have a NOTE Edge and yes the phone does get noticeably warm during the update. The update isn't bad perse but it's nothing special. That's BS though that you were force fed an update. And yes, I'm American....

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think what this tells you is don't believe everything that Americans post on here. (At least what they post doesn't necessarily apply worldwide) Lollipop update largely uneventful on this side of the Atlantic.

Certainly not everyone on the American side had bad experiences with the Lollipop updates. My Sprint Note 4 had no issues going from KitKat to 5.0 and 5.0.1. But it is also clear that many users have had issues with the upgrade (and I see the same on Nexus 7 forums though there a number of people have had their tablets bricked by the upgrades).

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Bordcla - where is where the problem lies my friend. When and if 5.1.1 comes out for the Note 4, you will be required to update to 5.0.1 before 5.1.1 will install. A friend of mine has an S5 which he's never updated and when ran his updates the other day (he's on Fido) it had to do 3 updates before it would even give me the option to download 5.0.1 which works great.

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm with Rogers in Canada. Had no issues! Didn't factory reset just did cache partition wipe!

Posted via the Android Central App

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i'm with Telus not sure why you're so hesitant about getting the Lollipop update it's been great for most people. Much improved on battery and a lot of great features added on. Yes it's not update to date to 5.1 not a big deal. honestly I've been using it for a month or 2 haven't had one hiccup yet.

dedhedAndy

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I did the lollipop update on rogers about two weeks ago. It was a seamless update, no problems what so ever. Took about 30 mins to dload and complete. No factory reset just cache partition wipe afterwards. Battery and performance of the phone aren't noticeably different for me. I like the new look of things. ( yes, I actually like the orange)

Posted via Galaxy Note 4

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Any more ridiculous comments?

rjw727

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Rogers forced Update wiped out my SD card ! Card says it's empty but when I try to move something on to it , message says it's too full ! Lost all my music !

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Every single update to every single phone and Android version, has people here talking about how bad it is.

I always ignore them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay