Galaxy Note 4 Rapid charger with Moto X?

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I have a Moto X (Gen 2) and my fiancee has a Note 4. I just got my Moto X today. Left the stock charger in the box because I have a lot of chargers laying around. Anyway long story short, I thought about buying the TurboCharger, but said I'll just use her Note 4 charger because I assume they're the same thing.

Well 10 minutes later, the Moto X was HOT and I was a little concerned.

Should I never do this again or is it normal? Am I gonna have an exploded battery on my hands?

anon(2345131)

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't use it. Samsung specifically has stated not to use the charger for the NOTE 4 (quick charge) because it will burn out other standard phones not built that way.

I would stay clear. I think you'll be fine and most likely didn't cause any damage to your device.

Just buy the Motorola version of the charger.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just for information purposes, it's been on the charger from 68% to 80% and has a temp of 92*F so far. It started off at 80 something.

Now it's at 92% and temp is at 85 degrees.

Could it have something to do with the fact I'm now directly in the wall vs a surge protector? Or is it the fact I'm not using the phone at all. Just to check the temp, but I'm leaving it off primarily?

Last edited:

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So just gave it another try from 10% battery and Du Battery reported temps at 119*F.

Sooooo.... I think its a bad idea. It did however go from 10% to 60% in like 15-20 mins.

But the temps are a little concerning. I unplugged it and letting it cool before I use the regular charger. Its currently at 103.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about this since I have a Note 4 and am getting my Moto X on Thursday. Guess I'll just stick to the stock charger then :/

Posted via the Android Central App

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the Note 4 charger a Quick Charge 2 charger? If it is it should be fine with our phone. I use the Moto Turbo Charger and phone gets warm but not what I would call hot.
The Droid Turbo and Nexus 6 come with the charger for the main charger.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the Note 4 charger a Quick Charge 2 charger? If it is it should be fine with our phone. I use the Moto Turbo Charger and phone gets warm but not what I would call hot.
The Droid Turbo and Nexus 6 come with the charger for the main charger.

What temps are you seeing from a low percentage? I'll take a screenshot of battery temps for informational purposes as a point of reference.

I'm currently at 17% battery after a long day of work.

017fbf38f768402591e3cd3e384366cf.jpg

ca5d91b5db1aea185fc09bdc172a5b07.jpg

In about 15-20 mins I will have more data for you all.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Last post, but I'm gonna say it only remains "hot" during the first half of the charging. Looks like 112*F was today's hottest and it stayed like that for about 5 minutes then began its cool down.

I think its not that bad at the end of the day. I think I'm gonna try it at like 1% or 2% tomorrow and see what happens. Yesterday I started at approximately 10% and the temps were warmer... I think. A part of me thinks perhaps it was at 116*F not the 119*F I originally said in light of these results.

We'll see what I get tomorrow. Hope this helps.

91d4057013a2061b4d7922b13db69c56.jpg

9026d7e6e2229a671012cacb4abada76.jpg

I'd love to see other peoples results.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
As someone above said, they're both QC2.0 chargers so there shouldn't be an issue.

112F/44C is not that hot for a phone. My phone idles at 29C/84F. Quick Charge is known to caused increased temperature, so I would not be surprised at 44C when using a QC2.0 charger. I'll try out my Turbo Charger at home tonight and let you know what I see.

I'll also just say that you're putting more wear and tear on your battery letting it drain down to 0-10% than you are exposing it to the increased temperatures during charging.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As someone above said, they're both QC2.0 chargers so there shouldn't be an issue.

112F/44C is not that hot for a phone. My phone idles at 29C/84F. Quick Charge is known to caused increased temperature, so I would not be surprised at 44C when using a QC2.0 charger. I'll try out my Turbo Charger at home tonight and let you know what I see.

I'll also just say that you're putting more wear and tear on your battery letting it drain down to 0-10% than you are exposing it to the increased temperatures during charging.
Yeah that's what it appears to have done.

a4c0d2d53bc0ffdfa6e7dd003e986ecc.jpg

Also it appears the heat is either damaging my screen or exacerbating the manufacturing damage.

There's horizontal lines that reflects the navigation buttons. Its slight and very difficult to see unless you're using a complete white background and can cause it [the navi buttons] to hide and reappear.

I was able to achieve this by using a screen burn in app. When the screen turns white I pause it and the navi buttons reappear. I can see two faint reflections of this quarter of the way up and half way. They both move up just they're reflections.

Perhaps overheating damage or just a thing when its hot because as it cools its harder to notice.

At this point I'm gonna say it doesn't appear to be a safe idea to use the Samsung Note 4 charger as a replacement charger for the Moto X. I know it may be theoretically okay but it doesn't seem like its doing it any good.

I could be way wrong but the stress especially from a low point may not warrant the benefit.

As for my phone it appears to be damaged and I will call it a no go at this point and ship it off to get repairs.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna give my note 4 charger a shot and let you guys know how mine goes. I don't keep phones long enough to worry about the life of the battery anyways.

*edit* 25% in about 16 minutes. Phone feels warm, but not too hot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I gave it one more go from 10% on a Nexus 6 turbo charger I borrowed from my co-worker's phone.

I don't know much about this stuff but I noticed the turbocharger has 3 stages and the Note 4 only has 2.

In addition to that it also has less amps in all the outputs. 1.6 and 1.2 vs 2.0 and 1.67

Is this the reason why it had a max of 112*F with the turbo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have seen mine as hot at 114 but don't think that is to bad as it starts cooling off after phone is at 20% or so

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't use it. Samsung specifically has stated not to use the charger for the NOTE 4 (quick charge) because it will burn out other standard phones not built that way.

I would stay clear. I think you'll be fine and most likely didn't cause any damage to your device.

Just buy the Motorola version of the charger.

The Turbo charger will deliver a standard 5V charge if you plug a regular phone into it, does the Note charger not also do this? Seems like a pretty serious overlook as far as consumer safety if it doesn't.

material yolo?

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I think some of the heat actually the processor the highest part of the turbo charges at 12volts 1.6 amps

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
QuickCharge 2.0 allows up to 3A at the standard 5V, and if you plug it into a phone that doesn't support QuickCharge 2.0, no harm done - the device will draw what it wants and it just means 3A are available to draw, which most devices will not use.

If your phone supports QuickCharge 2.0, the device being charged can also ask for the voltage to be stepped up to 9V or 12V. If your phone doesn't know how to ask for more voltage, the voltage stays at 5V.

If the phone is QC2.0 compliant, it will ask for more voltage, and if your charger is QC2.0, it will provide it. It makes no difference whether the QuickCharge was made my Motorola, Samsung, or anyone reputable. QuickCharge 2.0 is QC 2.0. It's a standard. You might have poorer results if you buy the $2 "Magical Sparkles Fastly Charging for All Batterie" off "SparkySparkyBoomBoom Battery Blowout Direct", of course.

You are seeing elevated temperatures because that's what happens when you try to change battery chemistry rapidly. It's an exothermic reaction with Lithium batteries, and it will reduce the effective life of the battery. So has rapid charging of current Lithium technology always been. Charge it fast, plan on replacing it a little sooner. Charge it slow, it lasts longer, but you have the inconvenience of waiting bloody ages for it to charge each time.

Most phones that implement QuickCharge 2.0 only use the higher voltage for fast charging an almost empty battery, because that's where rapid chemistry changes do the least harm. "Least" harm does not mean "no" harm. It will start at 12V@3A because it can dump a shedload of juice into an empty battery that way and still keep the temps down to the point where there's no significant damage. Then it'll drop to 9V@3A for a while, and then finally finish off the last 20-25% of charge at 5V@<3A because that's where the battery is already accumulating the most damage even from a normal charge, and accelerating that part is a really bad idea.

EDIT: If you use fast charging twice a day to get your battery from 30% to 60%, you'll probably accumulate about the same amount of damage as if you used regular charging once a day to get the battery from 10% to 100% then left it on trickle charge all night. Lithium is stressed as much by sitting at its voltage extremes as it is by rapid chemistry changes. So if you find it more convenient to plug it in to Fast Charge when you get to work, let it amp up to 60-70%, then boost it again at the end of the work day so you don't have to plug it in overnight, in all likelihood it's going to work out to about the same as trickle-charging it all night.

Slow-charging it to 60% twice a day is even better for the battery, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Last edited:

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm just not gonna use the Note 4 charger anymore. It appears yo heat up more than the Nexus 6 Turbo Charger.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418408911904.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418408911904.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463