Galaxy Note 7 Crashing

bertowski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
*****Update 25 Aug*****
After the first security update (1 Aug) I fully reset the phone. I haven't had a crash since. So either the software update caused issues or applications from the play store weren't playing nice. I'm going to be a little more cautious of which apps I load onto the phone. Hopefully the crashing is over!

I've been using the Note 7 a lot over the last 2 days. On Saturday I noticed the phone crashed and restarted itself. Today the phone restarted itself 3 times. This happened while Amazon Video was D/L movies, when I was trying to play Hearthstone and again when I was using Twitch/Chrome. I was charging it during at least one of the restarts. I've also had the phone temporarily freeze on the lock screen only to unlock about 20 seconds later and fire up the camera because I had clicked the home button a few times. The phone was never hot, but maybe a little warm on the back from downloading movies all day.

I'm a little concerned that 2+ days into its lifespan i'm seeing these kinds of performance problems. Is anyone else experiencing this with their Note 7? Coming from a iPhone 6+ I only had a few restarts over almost 2 years. I really like returning to Android after 7+ years of iOS so tell me this stuff is a fluke. Maybe the phone didn't like downloading so much over a few days.

Last edited:

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me twice today while running Google maps in the car. It was charging on the first crash, not sure about the second. No other issues whatsoever.

bertowski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok now I had the phone restart after pulling down the notification bar. I've had the phone for less than 3 full days and I'm up to 5 restarts with 4 of them being today. The phone isn't hot and I was only running twitch in the background. No other apps running, the phone was cool to the touch.

I'm starting to think I got a dud here and might need to replace. This is outside of the normal hiccups i'd expect with a new product. Is anyone else experiencing this level of restarting/crashing with their Note 7?

Should I...
1) Do a factory reset
2) Contact Samsung and ask for a replacement

myfavthing

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Did you set up the phone as new or transferred data from your previous device?

I would recommend setting up the phone as new or factory reset the phone once if you updated the firmware and set up as new.

That's what I did and phone has been quite stable. If it doesn't work out, then it might an app or hardware issues

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Did you set up the phone as new or transferred data from your previous device?

I would recommend setting up the phone as new or factory reset the phone once if you updated the firmware and set up as new.

That's what I did and phone has been quite stable. If it doesn't work out, then it might an app or hardware issues
So, I've never done a set up of a new phone as I just transfer data from previous device. If I set up a new phone do I then use Smart Switch to restore? Or do I add apps individually, set up my settings, etc ?

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd get a replacement, that's what my note 4 started to do b4 it became irreparable. Fortunately for me the news that it couldn't be repaired came 1 day b4 the note 7 pre-order day. I had no idea a new note was coming out, but for the note 4 dying. Square trade sent me a check for $735.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero crashes on mine. I've done a lot with it. I did not transfer app settings. That has never worked well for me and always caused grief in the past. I would factory reset, install apps from the store, and copy media over.

bertowski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 6+ so the Note 7 was setup as a new phone. Nothing was transferred from iOS or any other phone.

Yeah I was going to purchase insurance from Squaretrade, but I want to see if Samsung/AT&T will replace the phone if the problem persists through a hard reset. It's a bummer that I have to reset the entire phone to troubleshoot this on my own, 3 days into having it. Not going to lie... this does concern me since iOS never had a major issue like this through the 4 generations of iPhones. More importantly their support was great whenever I had questions. I just tried Samsung support and the chat was unproductive and clearly outsourced. It amazes me that an application from the Play Store could cause the entire OS to crash. I'm wondering if I should be giving myself a day of testing per application installed but that just seems extreme.

Ok i'm done ranting. Next step: Hard Reset and i'll see if this issue persists. I want this issue to be fixed because otherwise, I love the phone/OS and the stylus. It's a breath of fresh air.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok now I had the phone restart after pulling down the notification bar. I've had the phone for less than 3 full days and I'm up to 5 restarts with 4 of them being today. The phone isn't hot and I was only running twitch in the background. No other apps running, the phone was cool to the touch.

I'm starting to think I got a dud here and might need to replace. This is outside of the normal hiccups i'd expect with a new product. Is anyone else experiencing this level of restarting/crashing with their Note 7?

Should I...
1) Do a factory reset
2) Contact Samsung and ask for a replacement
Return for a refund and order a new one. That way you will be assured of getting a spanking new one.

brandyboi1

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine went into a bootloop and bricked itself after a week, also had lag, samsung haven't pushed the August patch yet over here in aus. had to get a replacement

n930f exynos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha