Galaxy Note 8.0 Won't Turn On

Erphed

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
My Galaxy Note 8.0 stopped working. It woke me up Sunday (alarm clock app), but then it just died. It won't turn on, and doesn't seem to respond to being charged. It just looks like it bricked itself.
So far I have tried:
  • Resetting with Power button/Touching the screen for 30 seconds
  • Entering recovery mode (Power/Volume up)
  • The toothbrush method per a post by: +shahadaabubakar on google plus (cleaning the charging port with a toothbrush)
  • Multiple chargers/Cables
It is running 4.3, and is stock. It's worked flawlessly up until Sunday.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any other suggestions? I haven't installed anything new recently. The only thing that was a little unusual is the multi-window wasn't responding Saturday, and I got it to work and made a couple of changes there. My next step is to call Samsung, but I wanted to hear from you first.

Thanks so much!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would try plugging it in and leaving it like that for a few hours, without trying to turn it on. See if that makes a difference.

rambs

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
The same thing happened to mine today. I'm taking it to Samsung servicing tomorrow. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Steven Houser1

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This problem occurred with my 2yo N5110 device. I used it to read in bed, set the alarm, and set it on a table near me. In the AM it did not wake me up - I opened the case to find a black screen and no response to any button pushed.No vibrations, no LED lights, nothing. Multiple chargers/cables tried - no effect. I had bought a spare battery as that seemed to be weakening (like 4 hours of use between charges only), but was afraid to open it - until this event. I followed instructions online and opened the case and replaced the battery - simple process, but alas still black screen despite charging. Not a flicker of life from the device.

Would this suggest it is the motherboard? USB port perhaps? Would it be worth buying a Note 8.0 with a cracked screen to harvest the workings inside? :-\ It seems there are not that many components that could be at fault.

Aledrus

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same problem. Only happened a couple of days ago.

Been using it fine, no issues at all, haven't been dropped or anything.

All of a sudden it wouldn't start, the power cable is still inside. There is no light, no notification on screen, no boot logo, no backlight, nothing. Plugged in a USB power meter to measure amps going in, it is 0V. But everytime I hold press the power button it goes to 0.13A -> 0.4A. If I keep holding the power button, it goes 0.13A to 0.4A, and as soon as i let it go, it goes to 0A.

If it is a motherboard problem, where could the problem be?

kk1l

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
@Aledrus I have the identical issue. Suddenly I cannot power on. I have independently charged the battery and even with a full charge the screen stays black. Pressing the power button will cause a small voltage drop (unit draws current), and releasing the button the voltage comes back up. I have reseated all the connectors I could find and looked around for cracked solder joints and the like...nothing.

I have not contacted Samsung yet. Did you find a fix?

Thanks.

CrazyAnchovy

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
@Aledrus I have the identical issue. Suddenly I cannot power on. I have independently charged the battery and even with a full charge the screen stays black. Pressing the power button will cause a small voltage drop (unit draws current), and releasing the button the voltage comes back up. I have reseated all the connectors I could find and looked around for cracked solder joints and the like...nothing.

I have not contacted Samsung yet. Did you find a fix?

Thanks.

Just found out that if you hold the volume down button for ten seconds while charging still get it started. Apparently this will happen when the battery does all the way.hope you see this guys!

dinew30

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I just wanted to let everyone know... i had the same issue on my n5110. i repair devices... i have replaced the usb port, battery, power button, and motherboard to no avail really. when i do the old battery stand-by of wetting the (in this case) connectors it will turn on for about 10 seconds (the circle logo makes almost a full circle) then shuts off until i wet the connectors again. so may not be getting a solid connection with battery.

another person said disconnect the battery (and charge cable) and press power to drain excess power from mobo... then plug in battery and turn on. tried it and nothing. i have been researching and testing theories for over 2months now with no luck. my next step will be to find some sort of way to 'bridge' the gap on the battery connector.

Beny007

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I had this same issue with my Note 8 today. I was using the flashlight feature on the phone, turned it off and all of a sudden the phone turned off completely and it would not turn back on. I also tried the same things you tried but nothing worked.

Luckily I found a website that fixed this problem. I will post the link in a different post in case it gets deleted. Just follow these steps.

1. Connect the Note 8 to a charger (in case it's dead).
2. Hold the DOWN the volume + Power button and hold it for about 7 seconds or until you feel the phone vibrate.

The phone will basically reboot itself.

This did the trick for me. According to the website, it is due to a firmware issue. This makes sense to me, I just received my phone yesterday and I haven't updated yet because our electric is down due to Hurricane Irma. So I do believe it could be software/firmware issue, so make sure your phone is up to date. I hope those 2 steps do the trick, good luck.

msoto155

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem. power + volume down for 7 seconds worked like a charm. I was pissed for a minute after seeing that motherboard issue post. Thanks for your help Beny007

Celeste Tyree

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Holding the power and the volume down for 7 or so seconds worked for me. Not of the other ideas did including the solution that shows up first on google. Thank you so much Beny007

Milkywaydark

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
The 7 second thing worked like a charm for me. My phone did the same crazy thing to me this morning, Made me miss my alarm for work! Thank you sooooooo much for sharing the experience for all of us!

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I tried the 7 second thing. it asked if I wanted custom os ( volume up) or continue (volume down) I chose continue. It went off and didn't restart so I tried again and picked volume up I get downloading odin mode do not turn off target? Is this right? I'm freaking

qt_penguin

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
I had the same thing happen this morning to my note 8. It has been working perfectly since I got it 11-25-17. When I went to bed last night, the last two things I did on my phone was 1) set my alarm and 2) use my flashlight. I noticed my phone battery was at 47%. I am so glad I woke up early because no alarm had gone off and my phone was not responsive. I tried to get it to boot using multiple chargers. It didn't work. After using the troubleshooting tips from the link below, I was able to get it to power on. The battery showed 29% when it booted in safe mode. I'm not sure what happened during the night but a lot of battery seemed to be used. The last system update was applied on the 27th of December.

How to Fix a Galaxy Note 8 That Will Not Power On - Galaxy Note 8 - Android Smartphones