Question Galaxy S23 streaming issue

powerchick

Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi all - new to this forum :)

Hopefully someone has some advise ... and thank you in advance... :)

Last year I upgraded to a GS23 and have an ongoing issue - random, but ongoing - Whether I am listening to online media or watching streaming videos, on either Wi-Fi OR data, the stream stops.
Sometimes it restarts, but mostly I have to close the site or app and restart it.

This happens either on Wi-Fi (at home and office) or if I am on cell data anywhere. It isn't limited to my home or workplace.
Side note: I used to be on Verizon 10g plan, but they forced me to upgrade to unlimited (by raising the rates until I had no choice but to switch :/ ) On my 10g plan - I NEVER had an issue, likewise, never had any issues on my older phones - which have all been Samsung Galaxy phones.

I have reset the network, all settings and even the phone multiple times. New SIM card, reset my router at home, etc...

Finally called Verizon, and they replaced the phone - twice.

Still happening. It doesn't matter if I am playing music on XM app / Spotify or any other app or streaming from the web via my phone, or viewing Netflix .
I have made it a point to look at my cell bar strength when it happens - 5g full bars, or full WiFi signal.

I also have a 2023 Galaxy tablet , and have no issues on that. It is just the S23.

I am frustrated because I can't seem to find a fix anywhere. Verizon says there are no known issues with that phone, or network. I have watched many videos on tweaking settings, clearing cache, resetting this or that, but honestly, had already done all that. many times.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, have you been able to figure out a solution?

Appreciate any input - Verizon just wants to keep throwing me a new phone, but the result is still the same. If it was a specific phone defect, a new phone would have corrected it. This is my third GS23 this year already, and the issue lingers - seems to me it might be a software or 5g signal issue, but I am not sure how to correct it.

Last edited:

powerchick

Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
What are you playing through? Headphones or speaker? Wired or Bluetooth? And only happens on streams but not on downloads?
Hi gomez - thank you - happens through bluetooth buds or phone speaker. I have Galaxy buds and Bose buds - doesn't matter - even if the phone is sitting on the desk playing though its own speaker. It will almost get through the whole song before it stops. Sometimes it starts on its own, but mostly not. I look at the phone to see if I can see a signal lag, but don't see it. Only when it is actively streaming; haven't noticed it on downloaded music or videos. I thought a new work issue or some type of lag when I used data, but it happens when I am on home Wi-Fi also...

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a bit like the dropout from handoffs between access points... but if your phone is sitting on a desk that isn't likely. I take it you aren't using a VPN?Have you tried turning your mobile data off when at home to make sure it isn't that doing something weird?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

powerchick

Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
Sounds a bit like the dropout from handoffs between access points... but if your phone is sitting on a desk that isn't likely. I take it you aren't using a VPN?Have you tried turning your mobile data off when at home to make sure it isn't that doing something weird?
Phone is always on WiFi when at home. I have the DuckDuckGo VPN , but that shouldn't matter if I am on the app and Wi-Fi, or does it??? I was using that on my old phone also..

I starting having the issue when Verizon forced me to go unlimited and end my pay per g plan. I thought it might be slowing congestion, or toggling between 5g and 4g. I would turn off the 5 g if I could, but it also happens on WiFi, though not as often.
I appreciate your comments - might be time to switch phone models...

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Phone is always on WiFi when at home. I have the DuckDuckGo VPN , but that shouldn't matter if I am on the app and Wi-Fi, or does it??? I was using that on my old phone also..

I starting having the issue when Verizon forced me to go unlimited and end my pay per g plan. I thought it might be slowing congestion, or toggling between 5g and 4g. I would turn off the 5 g if I could, but it also happens on WiFi, though not as often.
I appreciate your comments - might be time to switch phone models...
A VPN definitely could cause these kinds of issues. I'd try turning it off and see how stuff runs.

powerchick

Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
Could Verizon be throttling your data due to your use exceeding 10 GB?
Laura - Not likely; I averaged about 8g /month, if that, paid for the 10g just in case I had to travel...
Even now on unlimited, I don't use enough data to get throttled.. average about 3-4g/ month...
I am mostly on WiFi - still have the issue of the stop streaming...
Appreciate your thought tho :)

powerchick

Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
All - thank you for your replies - I have received more help on this thread than I have for months with the carrier...

I have the DuckDuckGo app tracking protection on which acts like a VPN, and it seems to be the root of the problem. I adjusted the settings and it appears to be working - so far :)

Thank you all!!!!!!

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej